Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Sorento that has a bad 3.5 engine I need to remove. I have stripped all the front components off that I can. I have also opened the access panel on the bottom and taken off the fly wheel bolt. Given that the engine will not turn, how will I rotate it to remove the remaining fly wheel bolts that I am assuming are there to remove.

Is there a thread that outlines engine removal. I searched "engine removal" on this Sorento board and fund many threads of which none had anything to do with engine removal.

It seems that there may be blots between the engine and the transmission that I can not see, is there are such bolts is there a trick to getting access to them.

Thanks in advance!

Really wondering if a bad engine means part it out...

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
If you "threw a rod" or have a frozen bearing.. Drop the oil pan and start disassembling it (bearings)...You should eventually be able to turn the crank.
There is complete technical information at kiatechinfo.com.
To gain access to this for requires some very basic software and no other variables will be tolerated..

Microsoft Windows Machine (XP/Vista/7 and possibly 8)

Microsoft Internet Explorer (ver 6~8) (with compatibility mode for newer versions)

Adobe SVG (scaled vector graphics) add on for graphics.

An email account where the password will be sent to log on.

No other Operating System (No Mac/Linux)
No other Browser (no Safari/Firefox/Chrome/etc..)
It is worth the "bother" as the info is service grade...
Dave

·
Registered
05 Sorento 03 Eclipse
5 Posts
DavesSpectra is right about dissassembling from bottom end to remove broken internals to get the engine to rotate BUT sometimes is doesn't work and you just gotta remove the torque convertor WITH the engine. This means you gotta remove the radiator and probably the AC condensor to have enough room to move the engine far enough forward with the torque convertor attached. It will dump a couple quarts of tranny fluid so get a pan ready.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts