Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sportage 2001 have a engine problem. when I drive around and the RPM is about 1000-2000 the engine stutter and runs rough. When I trottle up there seems to be no problem or less problem. I drive in second gear in 15-30 miles my car feels like a kangaroo. There are no engine fault light and with my OBDII tester there are no missreadings. Do anybody have the same problem? Please reply if any can.:confused:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

rfurlongsr recently had a similar issue:

Recommend checking the hood batting to make sure it isn't blocking airflow to the air intake, see his post this link:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/93322-2000-sportage-loss-power-2.html

--
Need some more info on the 'kangaroo' - how many miles, type of trans (auto or 5spd), 4x4 or 2 wheel drive.. when is the last time tune-up maintenance was done (air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, pcv valve)..

You mention ODBII reader - does it also have live data scanner ability, if so, that may be helpful..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Kia

Hello again. My Kia has a milage of 72400 miles and are a 4 door european, "Norway" car with 5 spd and 4x4. My intension are to change timing belt, waterpump and sparkplugs + more in next week. But this problem just occuor yesterday. Have not done anything at all on the engine but had to replace the fuel tank a month ago with new fuelpump and did not do the fuelfilter. But the engine seems to be in good condition without the problem between 1000-2000 RPM. The car draws good in climbing up hills so I do not belive that there are lack of fuel.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
If original fuel filter, I would replace it, it's due..

New Spark plugs, gapped at .038" / 1 mm would be nice,

Would inspect the air filter, and if at all suspect, replace it..

And would check all vacuum connections on the Intake manifold, to be sure a vacuum leak is not contributing to the issue..

--
*And would check that hood batting to make sure it is not interfering w/ the air Intake snorkel (on top of the radiator -> runs to the airbox) ..

*** +1 on the TB service: would also recommend to change the Idler and Tension pulleys as part of the service / they are a wear item & have been on there a long time.. To prevent any issues post-TB service.

----
And would also recommend inspecting / cleaning the major ground points under the hood, and inspecting / cleaning the fuel pump ground ring under the carpet flap in the back cargo area..

Is this a recent purchase, or have you owned the Sporty for a period of time / is your daily driver?

A general tune-up, cleaning the throttle body plates w/ Carb Cleaner, cleaning the MAF Sensor with (MAF Sensor-Safe) MAF or Electronics cleaner may well correct the issue,

but if it is (sensor) related, then an ODBII scanner w/ real-time data logging capabilities (for a USB/Laptop-based example, see my sig.) would allow you to see what the ECM is seeing, in real-time, that may help to narrow down & correct the issue..

HTH & Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Kia Sportage
15 Posts
I also had the very same thing happen to me,( and where I live there are Kangaroo's in Australia and they do come out at night and dusk and they can really do some major damage if you hit one)...... back to your question all I did was change my brand of fuel took a few goes to get it through the system, but it cleared my motoring problems with the fuel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts