Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found the gamma engine, at least on my car, the oil tends to darken much quicker than other cars I've owned. Last time, I ran full synthetic 5w20 about 7500km with marvel mystery oil. I usually run 5w20 regular, and I find even at around 1000km or less the oil turns dark. When I opened the filler cap, it seems whistle clean. All maintenance records from previous owners were provided.

Is it normal on this car? Can I extend oil change intervals using full synthetic oil? Last time I was gonna go 12k on full synthetic, i usually run 7-8k on conventional.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
516 Posts
It depends on the oil, some oils do better cleaning job of engine internals and absorb the carbon thus get darker sooner, that's not a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,911 Posts
I've found the gamma engine, at least on my car, the oil tends to darken much quicker than other cars I've owned. Last time, I ran full synthetic 5w20 about 7500km with marvel mystery oil. I usually run 5w20 regular, and I find even at around 1000km or less the oil turns dark. When I opened the filler cap, it seems whistle clean. All maintenance records from previous owners were provided.

Is it normal on this car? Can I extend oil change intervals using full synthetic oil? Last time I was gonna go 12k on full synthetic, i usually run 7-8k on conventional.
Why do you feel the need to use the snake oil?

You changed oils to one that has a higher detergent content, and the snake oil, which is most likely why the oil is appearing darker quicker - if you continue using the detergent oil it will most likely clean up after two or three cycles.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,116 Posts
And you can extend the intervals to 12k. I have been using full synthetic and 7500 mile intervals for oil changes since our was new with no additive.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX, auto, red
21 Posts
I have noticed the oil in our Rio definitely darkens considerably quicker than the other cars I maintain. The oil in the Rio will be darker after 2000 miles than the oil in my Ram or Toyota with 8000 miles on the oil. Been this way since new.
When the Rio was doing a lot of shorter trips (under 10 miles) the oil would blacken like oil in a Diesel engine very quickly. Now that the Rio is driven a lot and more aggressively, the oil doesn’t darken near as bad.
Doesn’t seem to make a difference if I use conventional or synthetic, 5w20 or 5w30. I stick with 5000 OCI.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX 6-Speed Manual
72 Posts
This is normal, It's a symptom of the GDI engines. I'm at 120,000 miles and the oil has always been dark relatively quickly. I keep my intervals at 4000 miles but I track my car frequently.

·
Registered
Rio 2014 LX
9 Posts
We have a small volume of oil and GDI. All GDI engines turn black quick relative to old port injected engines. Not sure what I think of it but I keep my intervals short. I've been 3000-4000 miles on the Rio.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
I go 15,000 KM using Mobil 1 and the oil starts to look dirty at early at 5,000 KM. Thing is, it sorta stays the same dirty color until 15,000 KM which is when I gets it changed.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
734 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts