Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sorento has a very irritating 'tinkling' (for want of a better description) noise when cruising on a light throttle. Sounds a bit like a petrol engine 'pinking' when under load. It disappears if you lift off or accelerate. Seems to be coming from the engine but it is not the usual diesel knock, it has a much lighter tone. Any ideas? I also think the engine is noisier than any other on the market.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2.5XS diesel and have no engine noises WHEN WARMED UP. In my view the Sorento runs as quiet as a petrol car when warm although it is a diesel at the end of the day and they tend to be noisier. Try a Suzuki Gran Vitara if you want a noisy 4x4 diesel

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Pop it into a dealer, ask them to check injector settings, although it doesn;t run the same system, I've found any excess noise from the Sedonas always turns out to be an ECU fault.

·
Registered
75 Posts
:closedeyes: I had a similar oise when i had my hyundai trajet garage changed the altinator belt seemed ok for a while but the noise returned went back and for 6 times over 4 monthes untill they had a modification from hyundai they said it was the alternator pully when it was happening it sounded like a chain was being draged under the car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this Murphwiz. This is why I posted this problem because I am looking for suggestions to make to the dealer because he has had it in twice already to try and sort this.
It will have to wait for a week now because I am going on holiday now towing my caravan - which by the way, it does exceedingly well despite the 'tinkling' ; blue smoke on start up and lousy fuel consumption.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you Sorentoman, it is certainly noisier when cold and is nice and quiet in the cab with the windows closed but it still turns heads, even when warmed up, but I don't think it is because of its stunning looks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts