Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2013 EX AWD with 7K miles. Not using "eco" mode. Moderate acceleration is not smooth and linear. Feels as thought engine is misfiring slightly, not like a bad plug or wire. Acceleration is not smooth, seems as engine is holding back on accel. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX
32 Posts
Sounds like you got "water " in the gas. Try using Chevron Tectron Additive to clear up the problem. If not a "water" issue a trip to the dealer is suggested.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If it's an actual misfire, consider towing it to the dealership for service, since driving could damage the engine. The Check Engine light would probably be on.

It sounds like your "slight misfire" means hesitation? Check (or have checked) the fuel line from pump to spark plugs, for dirty injectors or fuel filters or fouled plugs, etc.
---
Techron is Chevron's brand of fuel-line detergents. Detergents won't remove "water", but fuel with additives can keep injectors cleaner. Actual water isn't compressible and will damage the engine, so don't put water in fuel.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage LX AWD
13 Posts
My 2013 LX AWD does the same thing. I'm also getting some weird shifting of the 6-speed automatic transmission. It wants to hurry to get to the highest gear as quickly as it can. It seems like the peppy 4-cylinder engine and the programming of the 6-speed transmission are not matched well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Highbeamz showed how Kia uses suboptimal ECU settings for power. With the legal action kicked up by MPG claims, I'm not surprised it rushes up the gears.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,046 Posts
Make it relearn.........

Disconnect the battery cable for a minute.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Have 2013 EX AWD with 7K miles. Not using "eco" mode. Moderate acceleration is not smooth and linear. Feels as thought engine is misfiring slightly, not like a bad plug or wire. Acceleration is not smooth, seems as engine is holding back on accel. Has anyone experienced this?
Does your local gas contain alcohol? Mine does, so I use Sta-Bil for alcohol fuels which keeps the system clean and prevents corrosion damage. Alcohol goes into solution with water, so any water getting into the fuel from a bad tank at the station is pumped right into your tank. Sounds like a fuel problem to me for whatever reason, possibly inconsistent fuel delivery to the cylinders either from a control problem or contamination affecting the injectors.
How often do you let the thing 'eat'? You have to remember to use full throttle every so often simply to let the injectors clear themselves and maybe burn off carbon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts