Kia Forum banner

Engine Management Warning Light.

61K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Wesley L Smith 
#1 ·
Warning light on dash has come on.It's orange and is the shape of an engine.I think it's the engine management light.Does anyone know why it as come on and how do I fix it.Thanks in advance Tom.

#2 ·
The engine's ECU is trying to tell you that something is wrong. you must go to the dealer and get the ECU scaned for the error code.

You are lucky that you can drive it, the last time it happened to me (not in the Sorento) I had to tow it to the dealer.

#3 ·
mine came on even befor i purchased my sorento ex, it was the evap. canister and check valve. they air freighted them in for the next day.
also a loose gas cap will cause the check engine light to come on as well, as well as many more serious things.
when it went back to have them install the parts i told them the front brake rotors were bad and they also replaced them, no questions asked. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
We have had the engine light on our sorento come on also. The dealer told us after putting fuel into the kia, we must turn the gas cap at least 3 clicks. I failed to do this one time and the light came on. It took about 3 days and the light eventually reset. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Emision control warning light

Just like to confirm previous post. Bought car 2nd hand, put fuel in and warning light! We tightened 3 clicks, disconnected and reconnected battery. Everything OK. THANKS!

K6lmd said:
We have had the engine light on our sorento come on also. The dealer told us after putting fuel into the kia, we must turn the gas cap at least 3 clicks. I failed to do this one time and the light came on. It took about 3 days and the light eventually reset. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
Actually the quickest way to clear the CEL is to pull the P/TRN fuse in the junction box for a minute, while the Sorrie is off and push it back in...if it comes back get yourself a scanner far cheaper then the stealership would charge you to check the codes, but in most cases I've seen the CEL light come on is for the MIA Sensor of the gas cap not being on there tight enough...always do 3 clicks when tightening that gas cap. CEL light alone won't account for a serious event on your sorrie it's a Warning ABMER light...nuf said.

After you pull the P/TRN fuse and start the Sorrie your RPM's will jump and than settle back down so don't be alarmed. And this would be a good time to re-train your tranny to shift how you want it...me it was simple I took it out on the HWY stopped on the side of the road pulled the fuse put her back in waited for the cars to clear and held it to the floor board until she was done all the gears...SHIFTS AWESOME now and with that short ram intake mmmmm what a sound!

#13 ·
ok i have a kia sportage 2001. was running perfectly. then had someone test drive it this morning and when they came back it ran lumpy, had no guts, missing, and had a green light (which i have never seen before ) come up on the left hand side that looked like 4 wheels with small bar connecting them. The 4 x 4 is disconnected . am confused as she was driving like a dream yesterday. any help would be appreciated as i still have people wanting to view for buying.

#14 ·
This is actually the part of this forum for the Sorento, not the Sportage, but your question can apply to either.

You said it's running rough, and the 4x4 is disconnected. You sure about the 4x4 being DISCONNECTED?, your symptoms sound like 4x4 (including the green light) is engaged. On dry ground, turning will cause a jumpy feeling, and if you have even slightly mismatched tires, will cause the same on straight line. Make sure your 4x4 is turned off, and see if this helps. If it doesn't, post your question in the Sportage part of the forum for the most relevant answers.

#15 ·
I have a 2003 Kia Sorento and when I pump gas into it it spits gas back out at me and it keeps shutting off pump like it is full, also it drives then it acts like gas gets shut off to it and dies, it usually starts back up but it did this last night and I had to have it pulled home and now we have a light that comes on and stays on "Emission Control System" light, this didn't happen until we looked at handbook and guy who pulled us home had hit some kind of reset button on right side of underhood and it started and keeps starting but but the malfunction indicator light stays on but car still starts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.