Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Sorento owner and I'm looking for help. I have a 2005 Sorento LX 4wd. The car has approximately 2,200 miles so far. It's been in for service four times already with a fifth visit scheduled for early next week.

The reason for the service calls is a recurrent problem with the check engine light. Each time it has been serviced, the dealership says the code indicates a clogged canister filter. They replace the filter, clear the code and send me on my way. The last two times the light has come back on within 20 to 25 miles of leaving the dealership.

At the time of the most recent visit to the shop (yesterday), the Kia District Service Manager happened to be there. He said that due to the location of filter it is prone to road debris and moisture getting in and causing a problem. I'm not sure I believe this because if this were the case I think almost all Sorentos would be having this same problem. Anyways, they replaced the inner fender molding with a redesigned version, intended to reduce the likelihood of road debris and moisture from causing a problem. Well, 25 miles later and the light is back on. It was a dry day so I don't think road debris or moisture is the culprit.

Obviously there is some underlying problem, but they don't seem to know what it is. If I was a doctor and a patient came in with persistent headaches, I wouldn't just give him an aspirin. I'd want to know the cause. The canister filter just seems to be the symptom and not the cause, but unfortunately the dealership is inclined to just replace it each time (that's the what the computer tells them to do) and Kia Consumer Affairs can't give me any answers. I know others on this forum have had problems with the canister filter, so I'm curious if anyone has had the persistent problem I'm having, and what, if anything, was done to ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and/or advice.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
my ck engine light came on for the same reason during a test drive befor i even purchased it with a little over 20 miles on it
the fix, canister and canister VALVE suposidly two separte parts

the ck engine light has not come on since

part 1 31430-29200 canistor close valve
part 2 31420-3e300 canistor assy

code p2422 ccv canistor clogging

always ask for a copy of your warrenty work reciepts your are entitled to them

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Sorento EX and like many, I too have been having a problem with the check engine light. Overall, it is a great little truck and knock on wood, no other problems except for the check engine light. It has been a on and off problem for the past 2 weeks, so far no noticeable problems. I called and made an appointment with Kia and the soonest they could get me in was 9 days from the date I made the appointment. It is a little scary that their service department is that busy!

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
I have a 03 sorento. Make sure the gas cap is good and tight. That will make the light come on as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2005 EX, and I as well had this problem. They replaced the canister filter the first time through, and the light still came on. They then replace a second part (I guess two seperate parts make up this system) and I have had no problems with it since. Been about 6 months with no troubles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2005 EX, and the ck engine light came on at 18600 klm. Got an appointment within 5 days and the changed the cannister valve on warrenty.

I have travelled approx. 1400 klm, with no further problems, So fa so good.

Just love my truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The same thing happened to me last weekend. I took it in on Wednesday and 3 hours later I got my sorento back. The valve had failed causing my engine to run rough and the check engine light came on. It's not a good thing to see others with the same thing happening. I had right at 9400 miles on the clock when it happened.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This may help, I saw the gas cap mentioned, and I have heard this on other forums to make sure you use the 3 click rule when replaceing the cap. make it click 3 times to ensure it is sealed as the tank is pressurized.

I also had this fault the day after I got my sorento and I took it in. The mechanic asked if I had filled the sorie up with gas, I hadn't yet. Anyway his instructions were to place the nozzle in the filler tube, turn the nozzle on full and when the gas pump stopped that was it, DO NOT top off the tank as this causes the filter tank to get fuel into it and trip the sensor. I now have driven about 10,000 miles without a repeat fault.

Hope that helps, good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts