Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sorento. We have had the engine just quit multiple times. We've had it to the dealer and a Kia tech rep from Kia National checked out the car. They can't diagnose or duplicate the problem. Im tired of not getting the problem fixed. There is something wrong with this car. I just contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and filed a complaint. There number is 888-327-4236. I know many other people are having the same issue. If you are having the same problem please give them a call and file a complaint. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX in Silver with Sunroof, 2006 Mazda 3
45 Posts
Could you elaborate more on "engine quits?" Does the engine shutoff randomly or lose power? I ask because my wife's Sorento has a motor/tranny issue.

The issue has happened twice after she had been driving for 20+ minutes. The engine will all of a sudden feel very weak, almost like its running on three cylinders and accelerate very slowly. Also the instrument cluster will not display the position the tranny is in. So the "D", "N", "R", and "P" will just dissapear from the display. Luckily the second time it happened she was down the street from our house on her way home. I got in and tried to manually shift but that didn't work either. Also what was weird is that when I would shift from park to reverse, the Sorento would shake pretty violently. No amount of shifting, hard accelerating, or hard braking helped. After I powered down and restarted, the problem went away. The usual engine power returned, the instrument panel displayed the gear it was in, the tranny shifted smoothly and the violent Park to Reverse shift problem went away.

Very strange that after 2 yrs, 30k miles this starts to happen. I haven't taken to dealer yet because no check engine lights came on and I don't want to waste a trip. I told the wife to pullover and record everything with her phone if this happens again so we can show dealer.

Does this sound anything like your issue? And has anyone else experienced anything like this or have recommendations to fix issue? The last time this happened was two weeks ago. The first time three weeks ago. Never any other problems with Sorento.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Something similar happened to me and a few people too. The car would flash some lights and then come to a stall. People on the board are saying this is cause by pressing on the brake and gas at the same time.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
The car just shut down totally while I was waiting at a traffic light. I was
driving in 'D' with radio FM on and waiting at a red light. Suddenly, the car just "died" totally ---- no radio, no engine. I managed to start it again after a couple of minutes and it felt all normal again.

I found some related complaints online:

KIA Sorento Engine - 2013 KIA SORENTO Problems With Engine

now checking with dealership about it ...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX in Silver with Sunroof, 2006 Mazda 3
45 Posts
In the event that this may help someone, I believe I have a remedy to my above problem.

The problem I previously outlined happened once more and my wife was able to drive to dealership to show them. Techs couldn't figure it out so they called Kia and troubleshot and came to the conclusion that the issue was due to a bad inhibitor switch. I don't even know what that is, but after a week there have been no issues. My dealership was pretty good about it. It took two days to get the part in and we were given a loaner immediately. My only minor complaint is that we were given a Soul instead of a Sorento (an Optima SXL would have sufficed). If this problem reappears, I will post again. Hopefully now we are problem free and this post helps another member.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts