Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Have the 2011 Sportage 1.7. Love the car but have noticed a slight power lag at when hovering over the trottle around 50 MPH. It just like a hiccup when in 5th or 6th gear like it wants to go doesnt then does, really weird. I have taken it to my local dealer but they found nothing. Anyone else have this problem or heard about it

Wiggy:confused:

· Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yer the only thing I can think of is the way the fuel flow is set up, I was also going to add some diesel cleaner to the fuel. I don't mean this in a bad way but its nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. Have you tried to resolve the problem?

wiggy

· Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
Yer the only thing I can think of is the way the carburettor is set up, I was also going to add some diesel cleaner to the fuel. I don't mean this in a bad way but its nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. Have you tried to resolve the problem?

wiggy
Diesel engines do not use carburetors to run, just to inform you. Diesel is injected by high pressure pumps via the injectors into the engine, but in the case of the crdi it is a low pressure system and the injector spray the diesel at high pressure into the engine for combustion. when i am saying high pressure we are saying at around 175 - 185 bar. this is in order so the diesel will be combusted with the hot air. i have the same engine but did not notice the problem yet, if it is a problem. on the crdi all including diesel is controlled by the ecu and connecting the engine to a test bench and tweak the map might solve this problem. so my opinion is let the dealer know about this and see what he thinks.

· Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks censu
Good call, dont know what I was thinking, had my petrol head on. Have amended my original post. Makes sense what you are saying. I have taken it to the dealer but they found nothing, even after a 40 k run. But there is definitely a problem there although not all the time. It is a little disconcerting when your driving. I'll have to book it in for another viewing.:imsorry:

· Registered
154 Posts
Thanks censu
Good call, dont know what I was thinking, had my petrol head on. Have amended my original post. Makes sense what you are saying. I have taken it to the dealer but they found nothing, even after a 40 k run. But there is definitely a problem there although not all the time. It is a little disconcerting when your driving. I'll have to book it in for another viewing.:imsorry:
No need to be sorry everyone makes mistakes. Hope you solve the problem, if there is a problem though, because it might be a solution to others who might be having same situation.

May i ask a question though is this flat-spot/hiccup is being noticed on same rev range? I am not judging your driving but do you leave the car long on high gears when it seems that you need to change it to lower gear? i have not yet tried to check my car but will definitely do to see if mine does it also.

· Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Censu

Happens mainly around the 80k mark when you are in sixth. I have had it happen around the 55-60k mark as well which would probably be around the same speed as SlovaKia is talking about in the rev range (usually up into 5th gear by now). Mainly though its when you are on a B road say and your slightly on and off the accelerator keeping the speed limit. As SlovaKia said (just starting to accelerate) its like are we going yes no yes hiccup yes? As mentioned I've also had this happen around 55-60k mark as well but more noticeable for me at 80k. I've tried various gears at the lower speed, but like all drivers who look after the old banger you don't want to be revving the guts out of it. I know its not me as the wife has experienced it to and we have two completely different driving styles. Plus I used to drive HGV for a living and have a pretty good idea about rev ranges gear selection etc

Hope this makes sense and remember this is not all the time which is frustrating as well:huh:

· Registered
154 Posts
hi sorry for the long delay in trying out mine. though we dont have long stretches of roads, the longest one would be only around 2km, lol i tried to notice the problem mentioned but did not notice any irregularities. as i said before it would be a ise idea in checking it out with the dealer.

· Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No probs Censu I will mention it to the dealer again but for the moment I'll live with it unless it gets really bad. Just to let you know the car has been behaving itself for a while, not that the problem's gone away just haven't noticed it?

· Registered
Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine jitters

Hi all

I posted this a while back. I am still having the kick back problems and am wondering again now that the 1.7crdi's have been around for a while is any one else experiencing hiccup like problems with the engine. I am arranging to take mine back to the dealer as its nearly due for its first service but if anyone has had this problem I would be interested

· Registered
1.7 CRDi (model 3 (SX?))
52 Posts
We have a set of road works on the motorway near work.
Which incidentally is subject to a 50mph restriction.
I've noticed that mine does this little hiccup thing also, but only seems to do it while the engine is warming up.
It could be pure coincidence that by the time the 50mph limit is finished it's stopped doing it and i'm doing 70mph. But it doesn't do it on the same stretch in the morning where the engine is warmed up by this point.

· Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Mine got better these few months,but i think its still there. Haven't been to the dealer yet. I changed my driving a bit,now i drive in lower gear with higher RPMs and apart from getting better millage this way,i don't notice the hick up anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.