Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2017
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My car is now 1 year old. I have a 2017 Kia sportage with about 19900 kilometers on it. At around 16500 km my engine started to sound really bad, almost sounded like an exhaust leak, but there was no smell. I brought it to the dealer and they found (my new oil from an oil change a month before) to be black and had metal shavings in it.

I was told that the entire engine had to be replaced due to an "unknown manufacturers defect". A few months later and I still have no answers as to why my engine failed and had to be replaced. I want to know if anyone else has had this issue.

Looking around on the internet I can not find anything about this in a 2017 sportage. Can anyone give me some real info on my car?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,610 Posts
Which engine? What oil change interval was used, and did you personally ever check the oil level?

·
Registered
Sportage 2017
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which engine? What oil change interval was used, and did you personally ever check the oil level?
Not sure how to even find out what the engine was. Oil was changed at 3000km then ever 6000km as was recommended by the dealer. I didnt think it necessary to check the oil level myself on a brand new car which was being regularly serviced.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
498 Posts
Not sure how to even find out what the engine was. Oil was changed at 3000km then ever 6000km as was recommended by the dealer. I didnt think it necessary to check the oil level myself on a brand new car which was being regularly serviced.
It would help if we knew what model of Sportage you have (SX, EX, or LX). This will help to determine what engine you have.

·
Registered
Sportage 2016 EX
66 Posts
It would help if we knew what model of Sportage you have (SX, EX, or LX). This will help to determine what engine you have.
Given that OP is in Canada, it is best for the OP to state engine type rather than model/grade. Kia sells different engines in different countries.

There are 5 main engines in use for Sportage worldwide:

- 2.0 T-GDI Turbo Petrol
- 2.4 GDI Petrol
- 2.0 MPI Petrol
- 2.0 CRDi Diesel
- 1.6 CRDi Diesel

The GDI and MPI and CRDi engines have longer history and one would have hope that they will have better/known reliability. the Turbo Petrol is relatively new and that is the engine that seems to be causing some engine issues for people.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
.... The GDI and MPI and CRDi engines have longer history and one would have hope that they will have better/known reliability. ....
The Theta GDI does have a history, but not the one that Hyundai/KIA would like it to have. Just a brief web search will show the multi-million vehicle recall for GDI and turbo engines, which is just about ready to begin (going way beyond the ongoing Sonata recall).

Yes, it's true that these recalls only apply to vehicles through year 2014. However, there are no cold, hard facts which prove that the later year GDI engines are any different than the previous ones, and will not have the exact same issues.

That information would of course need to come from the automakers themselves. However, if Hyundai/KIA were to issue an official 'upgrade' statement on these engines, they would also automatically be documenting the cause of the prior engine failures, and would also confirm what quite a few people have suspected for some time.

·
Registered
Sportage 2016 EX
66 Posts
The Theta GDI does have a history, but not the one that Hyundai/KIA would like it to have. Just a brief web search will show the multi-million vehicle recall for GDI and turbo engines, which is just about ready to begin (going way beyond the ongoing Sonata recall).

Yes, it's true that these recalls only apply to vehicles through year 2014. However, there are no cold, hard facts which prove that the later year GDI engines are any different than the previous ones, and will not have the exact same issues.

That information would of course need to come from the automakers themselves. However, if Hyundai/KIA were to issue an official 'upgrade' statement on these engines, they would also automatically be documenting the cause of the prior engine failures, and would also confirm what quite a few people have suspected for some time.
Yes. I did hear about the Theta GDI engine recall. Hyundai/KIA seems to blame it on a a manufacturing defect rather than a design defect. Either way, a recall is a recall regardless of whether it is a design or a manufacturing defect. I am hoping that my 2016 2.4 GDI does not have the issue ...

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX Turbo
83 Posts
Given that OP is in Canada, it is best for the OP to state engine type rather than model/grade. Kia sells different engines in different countries.

There are 5 main engines in use for Sportage worldwide: ....
There are only 2 engines available here in Canada. 2.4L (LX/EX) & 2.0L Turbo (SX). No diesel at all.

·
Registered
Sportage 2016 EX
66 Posts
I have the EX model. The mechanic told me this engine was a new design and fresh to the market. I do not know much else.
Canadian EX then you should have the 2.4 Theta GDI engine. That engine did have a manufacturing defect prior to 2014. Officially Hyundai/Kia are adamant that the manufacturing problems were fixed since 2014. You can Google "Hyundai/Kia GDI engine failure".

The 2.4 GDI has long history and one would have hope that there should not be any serious design/manufacturing defect with the 2.4 GDI by now. However, even the best manufacturer will occasionally produce a lemon due the variation in manufacturing process.

Hopefully KIA will put it right by getting a competent dealer to replace the engine for you. Replacing an engine is a major operation and not not every dealer are well equipped or knowledgeable enough to do the job well.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
... The mechanic told me this engine was a new design and fresh to the market. ...
Hmmm - the doc I'm looking at shows the 2.4L GDI engine in the 2017 still having the same Theta II name. If that's correct, then this is not a 'new' engine, and it would be really interesting to hear him (or anyone from Hyundai/KIA) explain exactly what this 'new design' is, and what issue(s) it's supposed to be correcting.

But regardless of the answer to that, this thread indicates that there may be something to be concerned about with this 'new design'. Hopefully for all concerned, this one is just a fluke, and not just a continuation of the same old sad story.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,702 Posts
Hmmm - the doc I'm looking at shows the 2.4L GDI engine in the 2017 still having the same Theta II name. If that's correct, then this is not a 'new' engine, and it would be really interesting to hear him (or anyone from Hyundai/KIA) explain exactly what this 'new design' is, and what issue(s) it's supposed to be correcting.

But regardless of the answer to that, this thread indicates that there may be something to be concerned about with this 'new design'. Hopefully for all concerned, this one is just a fluke, and not just a continuation of the same old sad story.
If you have an EX with the 2.4L engine, it is NOT the new design. The newer design is in the SX with the 2.0L turbo. Almost all of the complaints here are about the turbo, not the engine you have.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
1 Posts
Issues regarding 2017 Kia Sportage SX

I created this account so I could reply as I have also had my engine replaced in my 2017 Sportage SX. I encountered similar issues with a very rough idle at 2k miles. The check engine light lit up and the radio/navigation unit spoke out loud and instructed me to take the car to the dealership. After inspecting the plugs, the #3 plug was caked in oil.

The dealership said the #3 injector was stuck open so they replaced it. This did not solve the issue and further investigation was required. The dealership was unable to find the cause so the Kia engineers at corporate also began analyzing the data. They were also unable to identify the cause and deemed it necessary to replace the engine. All in all, the repairs took 23 days which placed the vehicle 7 days out from the Lemon law in Georgia. Other than this one issue, I experienced an issue with one of the plug wires which needed replacement around 10k miles. I'm currently sitting at 15k miles and have not experienced any other issues aside from a random rattle in the rear of the vehicle which I haven't been able to diagnose as well as a clicking/popping noise from the front end under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD-2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
466 Posts
the 1.6 crdi was replaced with the 1.7 crdi in the Sportage

I created this account so I could reply as I have also had my engine replaced in my 2017 Sportage SX. I encountered similar issues with a very rough idle at 2k miles. The check engine light lit up and the radio/navigation unit spoke out loud and instructed me to take the car to the dealership. After inspecting the plugs, the #3 plug was caked in

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Platinum
101 Posts
I created this account so I could reply as I have also had my engine replaced in my 2017 Sportage SX. I encountered similar issues with a very rough idle at 2k miles. The check engine light lit up and the radio/navigation unit spoke out loud and instructed me to take the car to the dealership. After inspecting the plugs, the #3 plug was caked in oil.

The dealership said the #3 injector was stuck open so they replaced it. This did not solve the issue and further investigation was required. The dealership was unable to find the cause so the Kia engineers at corporate also began analyzing the data. They were also unable to identify the cause and deemed it necessary to replace the engine. All in all, the repairs took 23 days which placed the vehicle 7 days out from the Lemon law in Georgia. Other than this one issue, I experienced an issue with one of the plug wires which needed replacement around 10k miles. I'm currently sitting at 15k miles and have not experienced any other issues aside from a random rattle in the rear of the vehicle which I haven't been able to diagnose as well as a clicking/popping noise from the front end under hard acceleration.
You are the only other person I know of on this forum to report the clicking/popping noise. I traded mine, as I just did not have the time or energy to pursue a lemon law claim. Since you are still relatively low in mileage, I would definitely try to get them to at least acknowledge the problem. Based on others' posts, I have, after the fact, determined it is LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition). Good luck!

·
Registered
498 Posts
For the clicking/popping noise you might try running a tank of premium grade fuel, just to see if it causes the noise to abate. If after you have run a quarter tank or so of the premium and find the the noise has gone away, you probably have been experiencing detonation (see your dealer). If the noise doesn't abate, then you should see the dealer and have them determine if the noise is from the engine or the suspension. You could also attempt to determine if the noise is constant, or does it appear only when your accelerating, or when you are turning one direction or the other, or possibly when applying the brakes only. This will provide the dealership tech with a little more info to help them know where to begin.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD-2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
466 Posts
I had detonation from using regular Sunoco in Baltimore MD & BP regular in SC...
Under heavy acceleration.....
I do not have that problem with regular gas in NY & NJ.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had detonation from using regular Sunoco in Baltimore MD & BP regular in SC...
Under heavy acceleration.....
I do not have that problem with regular gas in NY & NJ.
As I've noted before, not every state has Federal testing of there pumps on a regular basis, and in-fact many states don't even perform the tests themselves on a regular basis. Point being that if the station managers can get by selling you lower octane fuel than what is marked on the pump, they can and probably will. Just one of the reasons I continue using Premium fuel instead of Regular (just reduces the opportunity for going below the required octane rating).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts