Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX Burnished Copper
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter calls me from the shoulder of the Ohio Turnpike to say her 2016 Sorento lost power. She was doing about 70 and it just lost power. Motor was still running but would not rev up. Fortunately she was 2 miles from a plaza. No engine noise, no smoke so I told her to try and make the plaza. She limped it to there and it wouldn’t go more than 30 mph. Got in a parking space and I told her to cut it off and let things reset and then fire it back up. It would start for a second and cut off. Would not stay running. It has 80,000 miles on it. Had it towed to a Kia dealer and they put it on the diagn machine. I never heard so many reasons why the motor went bad. First it was the head gasket and the engine was shot. Then it was lost compression. Then oil disappeared somewhere in the engine??!!!! Bottom line they’re saying she needs a new engine and since she’s the second owner it’s not covered. This is BS. I have a case number with Kia Corp and they are researching and reviewing all records. We have 3 Kias in our family, 2 Sorento and my Sportage. I’m praying that this engine will be replaced at no cost. Still don’t know what’s really wrong with it. All the computer reads go to a tech in California for review and they make the decision to replace at their cost or mine. Not real happy with Kia but holding out for a reasonable solution. This motor should not have failed at 80,000. Any one else experience something like this? I know the 2016 engines had issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Daughter calls me from the shoulder of the Ohio Turnpike to say her 2016 Sorento lost power. She was doing about 70 and it just lost power. Motor was still running but would not rev up. Fortunately she was 2 miles from a plaza. No engine noise, no smoke so I told her to try and make the plaza. She limped it to there and it wouldn’t go more than 30 mph. Got in a parking space and I told her to cut it off and let things reset and then fire it back up. It would start for a second and cut off. Would not stay running. It has 80,000 miles on it. Had it towed to a Kia dealer and they put it on the diagn machine. I never heard so many reasons why the motor went bad. First it was the head gasket and the engine was shot. Then it was lost compression. Then oil disappeared somewhere in the engine??!!!! Bottom line they’re saying she needs a new engine and since she’s the second owner it’s not covered. This is BS. I have a case number with Kia Corp and they are researching and reviewing all records. We have 3 Kias in our family, 2 Sorento and my Sportage. I’m praying that this engine will be replaced at no cost. Still don’t know what’s really wrong with it. All the computer reads go to a tech in California for review and they make the decision to replace at their cost or mine. Not real happy with Kia but holding out for a reasonable solution. This motor should not have failed at 80,000. Any one else experience something like this? I know the 2016 engines had issues.
Forgot to mention car is still in Ohio until this gets settled. They are quoting 6500 for a refurb motor with 12/12 warranty. Come on and step up to the plate Kia.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
8 Posts
I would wager that it is a remnant of the Theta II engine issues that grenaded so many vehicles 2011-2015 with some stragglers after it seems. I purchased mine hoping it wouldn't strike but it certainly can. I would start with reading this since I believe it applies: Kia Engine Settlement - Frequently Asked Questions

I would argue that it makes no exceptions for subsequent owners, only for cases of "exceptional neglect."

HOWEVER it's limited to the 2.0 and 2.4L 4-cylinder engine options. If you have the V6 then you may be SOL. :/

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
58 Posts
If it's a blown head gasket, that will give a low compression reading. That would also be why there is no oil. Have them tell you what cylinders are showing low compression. Check the radiator to see if has engine oil in it. Check the tail pipe and see if it is dripping with oil. If you need a new engine you'd get a better price going to a independent repair shop. When they pull the bad engine have them take out the oil pump to check for contamination of metal shavings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for responses. I am waiting for Kia’s case worker to get back to us. They have not taken the motor down and all the diagnosis is coming from the computer hookup.
I will let everyone know the results. It’s the 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD FE (w/ EX Premium Package) & 2020 Soul EX (w/ EX Designer Collection Package)
34 Posts
They are asking $6,500 for a rebuilt 4 cylinder engine?!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone is following this post KIA Corp is making a ruling now they have all the technical data. It’s been a week and a half. Knowing the issues they have had with those years it really amazes me that a decision hasn’t been made yet. Still praying for a new engine. They told us today or tomorrow. Been through 3 case managers and a 4th one called her this morning with an apology and the update. Each one assured me they would call me back. Guess what?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Did your daughter keep the dipstick oil level at full-mark?
Most of the early engine deaths (80k) are due to a lack ownership raising the front hood. The four cylinder GDI / TGDIs are finicky and sensitive engines. They prefer the oil level to be a half-quart over-filled, versus a quart+ low regularly.

If the family has no history-background of faith, then now's a good time to consider reaching out to the skies above.
I hope she gets a new, free remanufactured engine block. The longer the decision takes - the better odds she will.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
77 Posts
.....The four cylinder GDI / TGDIs are finicky and sensitive engines. They prefer the oil level to be a half-quart over-filled, versus a quart+ low regularly.
Hi. Not disputing the 'half-quart' comment above, but was just curious where you found that info? Was that from a posting by a mechanic or engineer at Kia? Just anecdotal observation by others? Having a little more than not enough is probably a good thing for most forgetful folks, regardless! LOL Thanks!

Here's one related discussion (on this forum, even!) that a quick Google-search brought up: Overfill Oil

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
8 Posts
Hi. Not disputing the 'half-quart' comment above, but was just curious where you found that info? Was that from a posting by a mechanic or engineer at Kia? Just anecdotal observation by others? Having a little more than not enough is probably a good thing for most forgetful folks, regardless! LOL Thanks!

-SM2016
I'm interested in this information too. I just poured in a 5 qt jug of 5W-20 and called it a day last week. Now I think I should go for 5W-30 next.

As another anecdote, I noticed my previous 2012 Sonata with the 2.4L was often (always?) "overfilled" by the dealer since we had lifetime oil changes thrown in at that location.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
246 Posts
If your engine consumes oil, then I believe overfilling is the remedy prescribed by the manufacturer. In Korea, Hyundai service centers replaced customers' dipsticks of the affected engines with shorter ones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She just had an oil change since she was headed out on vacation. Trust me....we have faith in the good Lord and have been praying for a positive resolution. Nothing yet from Kia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts