Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 2002/03 Kia Spectra engines interchange with 2000 Kia Sephia engines. My books say they will, parts stores and wrecking yards say no. If not, what are the differences? My books say only "T8, 1998 and later" :confused:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,129 Posts
Dunno about the whole thing but I do know the intake manifolds are different. The 98-99 is 2 piece and the 00 up sephia/spectra is one piece. Also some sensors have different plugs and wire colors. Could get confusing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm replacing the 2000 engine with, potentially, the newer one so have all the manifolds and connectors and wouldn't mind changing over a few extra parts. It just bugs me that it costs about 28% more for the 98-2001 T8 than for the 2002/2003 T8 at wrecking yards.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I honestly don't think it is a 100% bolt in swap. There are going to be differences I don't think many if any at all have done this swap as its not all the same, there were changes. Im not even positive the transmission will bolt in. You might need that also. And while your at it, you are most likely going to need that ecu, BUT like I said there might be a difference here with the 2 ecus too. As far as what sensors goes where into the ecu.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
So, is Anybody there that already have Done That? ... I Really Need to Know the issues...

Feedback needed Urgently!

Kind Regards.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
THis thread is 3 months old,, I would think someone would have chimed in if they have done it. Just get the right one, pay the extra.
YOu dont gain anything with the newer motor, samee hp, same torque, same reliability.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
Well... The Problem is Availability, here is Easier to Find a 2003 Spectra's engine than a 2000 Sephia's one.

...YOu dont gain anything with the newer motor, samee hp, same torque, same reliability.
But I Believe that There's Something to Gain with the Newer Motor: Less Mileage / Age.

So if anyone knows if there could be a Problem with the Swap, please Tell me ASAP.

Kind Regards.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Age would be the only thing as you can find low mileage earlier motors.

Age don't matter anyways if it was taken care of,
my RX-7 is turning 25 years old this year.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Yes, I Understand... My Yellow Subaru (On my Avatar) is Over 25 Years old and over 400,000 Miles and I've only Changed Both Headgaskets and a Waterpump; Also my '69 Mercury has Still "Standard" its Engine...

OK, I Just Found a '03 Spectra engine in Good Condition, with 80,000 Miles and at an affordable Price (Without Both Manyfolds and EFi Stuff) I Think I'll buy it...

Kind Regards.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
THe manifold are the difference, you cannot use yours on an 03 motor. Port sizes are different. And your efi stuff is going to be different.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
THe manifold are the difference, you cannot use yours on an 03 motor. Port sizes are different. And your efi stuff is going to be different.
Very Very Respectfully, let me Tell you This:

Fortunately You was Wrong!!! ;)

Last Weekend I Went to Hunt for a New Engine for my Kia Sephia (my Kia Sephia was Built in Late 1999) and I Found a Donor Car which was a Late 2003 Kia Spectra.

I Only Purchased the Block along with the Head Assembled as it came from Factory, in other Words: my Wallet wasn't enough big to purchase the Complete engine from the Junk Yard, so they Taken off This Parts from the Engine: (Parts Removed in order to Lower the Price)

• [♪]intake Manyfold complete.
    [♪]Exhaust manyfold Complete.
    [♪]Flywheel.
    [♪]Front main Pulley.
    [♪]Engine Mounts, except the one in front of the Timin' Belt Cover. (The old one Damaged)
    [♪]All the E.F.i. Stuff, including ignition Coils, etc...
My Sephia still Ran with its original engine (Blowin' a Cloud of Smoke) and I Went to Purchase the New engine Driving it; so I Take a Picture of the New (to me) Engine on the Trunk:

I've Worked this whole Week during Night time to do the Swap...

• [♪]First Night I Removed the Sephia's Old & Worn T8D Engine.
    [♪]Then with Both engines Lyin' on the Floor, I Swapped intake Manyfolds.*
    [♪]Then the Other Parts.
    [♪]Brand New "BERU" Twinspark Sparkplugs.
    [♪]Brand New "Motul" SAE 15W~40 Oil & Luber-Finer Filter.
    [♪]Placed the New (to me) Spectra's T8D Engine on the Sephia's Bay.
    [♪]New "ShellZone" Coolant.
    [♪]...and That's it!
The Spectra Engine Fired Right on the First Key Turn and Purred like a Kitten!!! :D Just half hour ago...

*So, 1fastkia was Right about the Port Differences: the Port Shapes are Different, let me Explain: The Sephia'a T8D engine Ports are Oval while the Spectras T8D Engine's Ports are Squarier and bigger: But the intake Manyfold of the Sephia Cover Perfectly the ports on the Spectra Engine: I've Just "Been There, Done That" So I Used my Sephia's Engine Stuff on the Spectra engine and Worked 100% Well!

Now I'm So Tired...

I'll Have enough time to Test the Sephia this comin' Holy Week, in a Very Long Travel, also I'll Post More pictures & Explanation.

Kind Regards.
JesZeK.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Late 99 is the key, that is basically the same as a 2000.
Why does you pic say 2000 sephia? No one doubted that a 2000+, just the before.. Any 2000+ sephia/spectra are twins. Its the "BEFORE" 2000, or lets say "MID" 99
Middle of 99, they changed a bit..
I didnt say port size, 99 and before have a 2 piece manifold and after that is 1 piece. Maybe they are the same, but I do remember the 99 and before had a bit of an advantage of the later ones.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
...Why does you pic say 2000 sephia? ...
Well... Because Papers (Documents) of my Sephia says "Model Year 2000" but the Metallic Plate on the Driver's Door Says: "MFD Date: November 1999"

I Used a Late 2003 Spectra engine on my Sephia, and Works Great!

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts