Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Spectra EX- Engine froze up, due to not having any oil in engine, even though a oil change was performed 1 1/2 months prior by Walmart ("So They Say"). There was no warning light indicating low oil. Any suggestions on what my next move should be regarding having my engine replaced?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Are you saying that, at the recent service, the oil was drained but not replaced? If you can demonstrate this, you might have a claim.

Was there any warning while the engine was apparently running without oil and getting wrecked? Did you check the oil immediately after it was serviced?

How badly "frozen" is the engine? Has it been looked at by a mechanic?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,938 Posts
If that is the only thing wrong with this car You will spend $500~$600 for an engine. Check out "car-part.com" and also ebay "2006 Spectra engine".
Labor is not included...
The "problem" with the engine probably was not the fault of Walmart. This had to be an on going problem of no (poor) maintenance.. You need to make a judgement call on "if" this car is worth putting an engine in it.
There has been no history supplied with the car, nor mileage supplied.
SAD..these engines/cars can go 300k miles "if" taken care of properly..
Dave

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
lesson learned as Dave mentioned these engines will go in excess of 300k miles if properly taken care of and if you think the car is worth it put a good used engine in it and remember to check the engine oil and as the burden of proof is on you since the oil change was 1 1/2 months ago.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I have heard of the oil being forgotten; it doesn't hurt to check the oil level after servicing. I've always found it to be OK (sometimes a little over-filled), but I did find a couple of loose spanners once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts