Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I purchased my 2014 Sportage in 2016. Last year my engine conked out and I was able to replace it the beginning of this year ($2800). However, it's September and this engine just went out on me today (9/16) with no warning. Would I still be covered under the recall or not?

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
If it was a 2.4L engine KIA/Hyundai has a MAJOR recall on them and it should have been replaced "No Charge"...
I would contact KIA about reimbursing you for the first replacement or at least they should replace the second one as the first one should have been covered...
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was a 2.4L engine KIA/Hyundai has a MAJOR recall on them and it should have been replaced "No Charge"...
I would contact KIA about reimbursing you for the first replacement or at least they should replace the second one as the first one should have been covered...
Dave
Well I'm back. The engine that I replaced from September, in February, went out about a week ago. Kia is giving me a hard time because of some paper I don't have. I can't afford to replace this engine again and I still owe about 3 grand on this SUV. Yesterday, however, I received a recall notice Pi1802 in the mall and I'm hoping this is what it is. I hope and pray that they don't start trouble because of the replaced engine. SMH, I am getting tired of companies not standing behind their products.

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
Well I'm back. The engine that I replaced from September, in February, went out about a week ago. Kia is giving me a hard time because of some paper I don't have. I can't afford to replace this engine again and I still owe about 3 grand on this SUV. Yesterday, however, I received a recall notice Pi1802 in the mall and I'm hoping this is what it is. I hope and pray that they don't start trouble because of the replaced engine. SMH, I am getting tired of companies not standing behind their products.
It is highly unlikely that any manufacturer would replace under warranty any engine that is not the original, or not installed by themselves.

If you don't have the service history with evidence, most manufacturers would not entertain any warranty claim - do you have records of the service history on the original and the replacement engine?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've replaced engines that were not original to the vehicle. Only reason it would be a sticking point is if the dealer makes it that way. Otherwise Kia warranty has been authorizing them as long as they're knocking or locked up.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've replaced engines that were not original to the vehicle. Only reason it would be a sticking point is if the dealer makes it that way. Otherwise Kia warranty has been authorizing them as long as they're knocking or locked up.
The OP of this thread previously paid out-of-pocket to have the engine replaced, and the cost tells me it was not a Kia dealership that did the work. So do you think Kia would do a recall replacement for an engine that was a non-Kia install?

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
What is this paper that you don't have that Kia is asking for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts