Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my 2011 Kia Sportage SX Turbo 2.0L (139k mile) started chugging and sputtering going down the highway, I pulled over and it died. It would restart but wouldn't stay running. I was out of town at this point, so I had it towed to the closest shop that was open. They told me the engine was shot. Misfire in cylinder 3 and 4 with 4 having no compression. They found oil and metal pieces in the cylinder. The car is amazing and the few issues I ever had with the car were taken care of during the warranty. It's otherwise been perfect and I've always changed the oil regularly. I talked to Kia customer service and they mentioned this: "The Product Improvement Campaign, Kia will provide lifetime warranty coverage to both new and used vehicle owners for engine long block assembly repairs needed due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage." They mentioned the only way to know if that's what is wrong with my engine is to take to a Kia dealership and pay to have it diagnosed. I've already spent a hefty amount in shop fees, rentals, and towing to get my car back home.

Has anyone dealt with this connecting rod engine failure before. Would it be worth it to have Kia check it out?

VIN: KNDPCCA61B7168587

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,149 Posts
Did your vehicle have safety recall SC147 done? If so, Kia should take care of an engine replacement at N/C to you. They also should be providing you with a loaner vehicle for however long it takes the work on yours to be completed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your vehicle have safety recall SC147 done? If so, Kia should take care of an engine replacement at N/C to you. They also should be providing you with a loaner vehicle for however long it takes the work on yours to be completed.
Yes I had that exact recall done in 2017. I figured it's worth the fees and tow cost to have a Kia dealership look at it. So the car is on it's way to them today. Fingers crossed they cover the engine. I had this car since it had 10k miles, so it sucks to take care of a car for years to just have it blow up with no explanation.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
... it sucks to take care of a car for years to just have it blow up with no explanation.
After analyzing many thousands of Theta engine that failed over the past few years, Kia/Hyundai most certainly had the explanation quite a while ago. They're just keeping that information to themselves.

Also, you might be reimbursed for the towing expense - contact Kia Corporate again if the dealership doesn't want to submit it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia dealership took a look at the engine. They said it's not seized or knocking, and will still partially run. But oil in the cylinders and no compression on cylinder 4. They still submitted a report of the engine to Kia for replacement but was denied. The engine is damaged and I still don't understand how or why. Any chance this is eligible for replacement but just isn't exhibiting the common symptoms they are looking for?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
... They said it's not seized or knocking, ....
A piece of broken rod sent through #4 piston would probably not be knocking. Did they drop the oil pan in order to get a look at the rods? If you don't know, give them a call and ask that question. A seized bearing sending a rod through #4 piston should most definitely qualify under the SC147 recall. I'm not saying that's what happened, but unless they have proven otherwise it has to be a possibility.

I would definitely not give up until the actual cause of the failure is identified and shown to be unrelated to the connecting rod/bearing issue. If they're unwilling to reconsider, you might tell them that you're going to lawyer-up and also will be contacting the NHTSA about an SC147 recall warranty denial. Kia/Hyundai has been under a microscope on this Theta engine nightmare for quite a while, and they definitely do not want any additional negative incidents reported against them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts