Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine cut off / stopped while driving on highway

2/29/2013 8:30 am Hampton Roads, Virginia

We bought a brand new 2013 kia soul plus + 2 weeks old now. It is a 2.0 Automatic transmission.
It has 560 miles on it. My wife loves it but this moring at 8:30 she called me panicked saying that the engine cut off while driving it on the highway. The speed was roughly 65 mph. She had the A/C, ECO and the radio on.
She uses ECO full time.

She said first she saw an (exclamation warning--need to clarify the symbol) on the dashboard immediately after the engine cut off. The car then went to a rolling stop, and she had to pull over onto the hard shoulder.
After she stopped completely, she put the stick in park mode and it started after that.
This was a scary experience for her. If she was to pass some other car, and having cars behind her during the passing, one can just imagine...

Please post your experience here. This car cost us $20k. It is worrysome thinking that could happen again out of the blue.

Has anybody had this experience?
Thanks.
PS: I own a 2007 Sportage V6 EX and never had any issue with it (103,000 miles), so I sworn by it (Kia)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul EX Energy edition, 2.0 L, 6 sp Auto.
67 Posts
Have you taken the car to the dealer...
Any OBDII scan codes?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, a visit to the dealer for diagnostics. Exclamation mark doesn't sound good. Any noises or overheating?

Not related to your problem, but I wouldn't bother with ECO, especially with a new engine. Just drive the car normally.

Question. Why engage "Park" to start? Neutral is preferred when you're parked in a hazardous position; you can be underway ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all. So I took the bug (kia soul) to the Service Station at Greenbrier Kia in Chasapeake on Monday at 3pm. The Service manager himself Shane, saw me about the issue. Great guy btw.
I had to leave the bug with him overnight because he was going to run the tests himself.
So I was picked up by Enterprise driver (across the road) and offered a nice Chevy to drive.
Shane took the bug for a ride (10 miles or so) and tried all sort of things in order to reproduce the fact.
He could not reproduce it, also there were no engine errors in the onboard computer.
I drove the car back home in the same manner, turning the ECO on and off while driving. No issues there.

So, the summary is that the car stole on the highway because of an unknown reason.
Could it be the fuel? Or maybe some residue in the Fuel pump? Not a clue.
For now fingers crossed and please keep posting similar issue/fixes.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a visit to the dealer for diagnostics. Exclamation mark doesn't sound good. Any noises or overheating?

Not related to your problem, but I wouldn't bother with ECO, especially with a new engine. Just drive the car normally.

Question. Why engage "Park" to start? Neutral is preferred when you're parked in a hazardous position; you can be underway ASAP.
Thanks for your reply. The ECO button is the bait one cannot resist :) It's a psychological thing. It's like... if I push that button I'll save myself a lot of dosh..
Well, I don't know how the roads are in your neck of the woods but here in Hampton Roads they are pretty flat.
Driving and automatic one always leaves the car on park or else if you are in an incline it will roll when in neutral. That is how the automatics work.
The light my wife may have seen was probably the engine light. I'll never know... She was in a panic state.

Hey guys, on a totally different remark, I just noticed that when the bug was at the lights in low RPMs (500-800rpm) with the A/C on, the car was rattling. I assume this is basically the engine not being able to pull the compressor very well when in low RPMs..

Kind regards and thank you again. Will keep you posted if anything else is out of wack.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
normal idle RPM is around 700. If you turn off the a/c does it increase and smooth out? Also does it do the same if you put it in Neutral with the a/c on? If so, then its okay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does not rattle when the A/C is off but i will try Neutral with the a/c on.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts