Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Recently, my engine has been unable to start even though it can crank. The following are anomalies that have been noticed within the months preceding this engine failure:

1. Low RPM during idle (engine warm). Shortly after the engine starts and warms up, the RPM needle drops to 300 RPMs and remains there during any idling period.

2. Because of the low-idling RPM, sometimes, when I shift from Park to Drive or from Park to Reverse, the engine would die, and I have to restart it.

3. Usually, when the car is stopped and held in position with the brake pedal (such as when at a red light), the car would vibrate excessively (the steering wheel, the dashboard, and the door (when opened) would vibrate a lot and make noise).

Based on the above information, would anyone be able to tell me what might be wrong so that I can troubleshoot the most likely causes first?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Very similar symptoms to what is/was posted on the forums...
Look in the area you posted in (2001~2005)...then decide what to do...

Check the codes stored...oops you can't... as the car won't start now... and you can't stop by at Advance/Autozone...Should have done something before total failure...

Don't wait until the car fails totally then ask why/or how...

Things like the Cats can will get destroyed by a poor running/mis-firing engine.
BIG BUCKS... Ask us before the car totally fails (if you can)..

"Based on the above information" it could be many things.
More info needed.... Year/type/mileage/ tranny/gas-diesel/your location (we are a global forum)/maintainence done recently/first-second owner...

Most common for the generalized info you supplied...
MAF, and IAC, plugs, coil packs, coil pack connections...
BUT I may be totally wrong without "key" info...

We want to help you to find/cure your car BUT you need to address the car's problems BEFORE total failure happens. We have no crystal balls to look into.
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I agree dave more info would be helpfull for everyone here to help better. Please Fill out your profile some more. We are here to help jhudson this is a great site for your issues I've been there and done that. Any codes on the ecm? Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I don't have the complete information because it is not my car, but I will soon.

So far, I've been going through the Kia Rio shop manual on kiatechinfo.com (2005 > G 1.6 DOHC > Engine Control/Fuel System > Engine Control System > Troubleshooting > 3 Cranks normally, but won't start (partial combustion) - When engine is cold), and it says:

"Disconnect spark plug. Crank engine and check for spark at plug wire terminal."

"Connect data link connector terminals Fuel pump and B+ with a jumper wire and check fuel line pressure while ignition switch is ON."

Can anyone tell me how to perform these steps or in which manual can I look to find out how to perform these and other steps?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are no codes. This is the information that I could get:

Year: 2005
Type: Rio
Mileage: 105,000
Transaxle: Automatic
Fuel Type: Gas
Recent Maintenance:
1. Replaced timing belt after the other belt failed
2. Replaced the engine head since the other one was damaged from the timing-belt failure
3. After 1. and 2., the car was driven for 4,600 miles with no additional maintenace
Number of Owners: 2 or more

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thank's for the info it really helps esp the timming belt and head work. Cam shaft posisition sensor comes to mind after the engine work make sure the sensor target is correct and not loose. Does your engine run at all? if not get a spark tester or just ground the spark pluge to see if they are firing. good luck with it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll try that.

Would you happen to know where I can go to find out how to perform the steps that I wrote in the 4th reply? The shop manual appears to be very vague. Some of the questions that I have, regarding the steps, are:

1. How do I disconnect the spark plug?
2. What is the plug-wire terminal?
3. Where is the data-link connector?
4. How do I check the fuel-line pressure?

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Those are very basic things that the driveway mechanic should know...
If you really don't know the basics then I'd suggest you find a friend who can teach you them...I'm not being condescending nor am I attacking you for lack of skills...You can just get into a lot of trouble and your main problem will probably be too big and require more skills than you can handle... I don't do brain surgery and I would leave that to the surgeons. (they usually don't do auto mechanic work either).

Google ...
Spark plug changes
trouble shooting no start conditions
Fuel supply probems
and watch the youtube videos

If you really want to learn... search..
"ericthecarguy" on Youtube and watch his sets of videos and visit his site "ericthecarguy.com". He makes learning car stuff fun.
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I understand your point of view. This is my first time trying to fix a car, so I will be picking up these skills as I go along. I will make sure to take a look at those videos and check out that website.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Well...I'm glad you are tackling your first attemp...Years ago I was at that point...

You'll need a good set of 3/8" sockets, ratchets, extensions....a set of open end and box wrenches 8mm~24 mm....a 3/8" socket set for spark plugs..
A spark plug gap measuring tool (under $2.00).
Harbor Freight is a good place to get tools for a driveway mechanic...Very reasonable in price and pretty durable too. They carry a "lifetime warranty" on hand tools... Sears is also a great place for hand tools but the costs will be quite a bit higher...
Now to address your questions...
1. How do I disconnect the spark plug?
To get at the 4 spark plugs on your car you will probably need to remove the "pretty plastic engine cover". I say that because it really doesn't serve much use except for stream lining the apearence of the engine and maybe keeping water from directly getting on the spark plug wires. The cover may be snap on or may be held in place with bolts (mine has 4 10mm bolts). Remove the cover and you will see the either 2/4/0 spark plug wires..I say this as depending on the model and year there couls be any of the above... The spark plugs are buried in 4 evenly spaced holes across the top of the engine and will have a rubber cap over them (that may be part of the spark plug wire or coil pack).
This rubber piece usually just pulls off but dont pull them off by the spark plug wires as you could damage the wire mine have a square base that you can grasp and pull up to remove. Below the rubber cap(s) is the spark plug(s). They are bolted down using the spark plug socket/extension/ratchet tools.
This is why I say watch "eric" and others replacing the plugs...so you get the basic idea...
2. What is the plug-wire terminal?
It is located in the deep well (tube) under the rubber cap(s). You don't disconnect it it pops off with the spark plug wire.
3. Where is the data-link connector?
It is located (usually) under the hood/bonnet for UK on the right side by the firewall (metal panel that separates the engine compartment from the passenger compartment). It usually says "DATA" or "TEST" on the rectangular cap that covers it. Remove the cap and you will see a female connector with numbered holes..
4. How do I check the fuel-line pressure?
This is also another test covered by "eric" and requires gauges and adaptors you will not have and will have to buy...

It's a pretty steep learning curve you are venturing in...BUT...keep at it and MOST repairs are do-able with a little practice and patience..

Read/view/as questions and you WILL learn...Some High Schools and colleges offer FREE or very much reduced classes on basic auto services..and the internet is your friend...Just always keep an open mind and remember some posters may know less than you our may give wrong, incorrect, or dangerous information... (like how to open a locked car door with an orange).
Dave

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Dave said it well. You gota start somewhere. We are here to help. Learn what you can and ask advice here, the site will get you through your issues. Been ther and done that it's a great site. Hey it's only a car saving money is the paramont for us do it yourselfers?. Keep at it and keep us informed with your progress and please ask questions when you get stuck Someone will chime in with a great answe here. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Greater than 6 inches a 6+3 inch should get you by for sure and get a socket that has the rubber boot so it grabs the plug to pull it out of the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Last time I tried to start the car, the temperature was less than 0ºF. Now, the temperature is above 32ºF, and I was able to get the car to start.

The battery is in good condition, so I suspect that the reason why the car did not start at those colder temperatures was because of incorrect oil viscosity. Does this sound plausible? I'm not sure what the oil viscosity is because it was changed before I got the car. The oil was changed in Georgia, and the car is now in North Dakota.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I kinda doubt that because you said it cranked ok. If it was slow cranking look into an electrical issue (battery) or the cold issue something sticking. Ever clean the IAC valve maybe it could help and check your vacuum hoses for leaks. Good luck with it and thank god it's warming up. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks.

When it was colder, it did crank a little slower than it currently does (I even tried to jump-start the car with another running car, and it did not start, even with the gas pedal depressed.). Now, when it's warmer, it starts quickly by itself, and, when warmed up, the engine idles at 500 RPM. There are no Malfunction-Indicator Lights illuminated.

I'm not sure if the IAC valve was ever cleaned. I guess that I can try to take a look at it and the hoses, and, yes, I'm glad that it's finally warming up.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Cold damp weather may have an adverse effect on the coil packs and spark plug wires..The moisture on either can "ground out" the high voltage that should go to the plugs. With warmer weather the engine bay drys out and the spark returns... Contaminated gas (water) may cause problems and some fresh gas and/or "dry gas" (alcohol) will help also..
You may have had a fuel line frozen also..not allowing fuel to flow..
Some minor tune up parts (spark plug wires, spark plugs) may help with cold weather.
Glad to see you got her going...
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I see what you're saying, except that this winter was very cold and dry. I wonder if it might have something to do with a crack in the intake system (as has been mentioned as a possibility) because, sometimes, when I shift from Park to Reverse, the engine shuts off. It happened once today.

When I get a chance, I will definitely inspect the entire intake system. Would you or anyone know of a good way do adequately inspect it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts