Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio, 1.6L GDI, 6-speed manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed engine coolant on the 1.6L GDI engine (mine is 2013 Kia Rio)?
Wondering about the location of the plug(s) that drain the engine block, and how difficult it is to access them.

Also, does anyone know why they did not put in a coolant temperature gauge, or at least an overheat idiot light, into this model year?
My instrument panel does not show any indicator light related to the coolant temperature on the key-on-engine-off bulb check phase.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
432 Posts
My 2016 SX has a coolant temp gauge, so, it's probably just not part of the equipment package in the other versions.

Also, my tech changes my coolant so I can't answer your other question.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
4 Posts
Has anyone changed engine coolant on the 1.6L GDI engine (mine is 2013 Kia Rio)?
Wondering about the location of the plug(s) that drain the engine block, and how difficult it is to access them.

Also, does anyone know why they did not put in a coolant temperature gauge, or at least an overheat idiot light, into this model year?
My instrument panel does not show any indicator light related to the coolant temperature on the key-on-engine-off bulb check phase.
The plug to drain the coolant is at the bottom of the radiator on the driver side. Nothing in the way, very easy access

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
444 Posts
Yes, you need to drain the radiator and reservoir. Then do a flush with water, then do a refill. There is no drain for the block. There is a overheat light on the gauge cluster, but it most likely will be too late if that comes on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appreciate the info.
I know about the radiator drain plug, but I was asking about the engine block drain plug(s) - and rio-t says there isn't any.
I'll lift the car and take a good look from underneath, if I find any drain plugs on the block I'll post it here.

Regarding the coolant temp gauge, my 2013 Rio is a basic model and does not have one. I doubt it has an overheat idiot light either, if it did then its bulb would light up during the KOEO bulb check phase, but it never has since new (unless they sold me the car with the bulb already burned out).
rio-t: What part of the gauge cluster is your overheat light on, and what does it look like when lit during the KOEO bulb check phase?
This would be a major design flaw, and it looks like one needs to drive with the OBD scanner connected to monitor the coolant temp.

·
Registered
444 Posts
appreciate the info.
I know about the radiator drain plug, but I was asking about the engine block drain plug(s) - and rio-t says there isn't any.
I'll lift the car and take a good look from underneath, if I find any drain plugs on the block I'll post it here.

Regarding the coolant temp gauge, my 2013 Rio is a basic model and does not have one. I doubt it has an overheat idiot light either, if it did then its bulb would light up during the KOEO bulb check phase, but it never has since new (unless they sold me the car with the bulb already burned out).
rio-t: What part of the gauge cluster is your overheat light on, and what does it look like when lit during the KOEO bulb check phase?
This would be a major design flaw, and it looks like one needs to drive with the OBD scanner connected to monitor the coolant temp.
I will check. I have that guage cluster somewhere. From memory, all the lights don't light up, just the lights that relate to checks. Oil pressure, cel, traction, ect. But I will double check

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here is a photo
It's above the emergency brake light and below the open door light.
photo

Reactions: danelo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks rio-t, I found it using a flashlight.
I assume your overheat light comes on during the KOEO bulb check phase, am I correct?
Mine never has since new, so I guess they sold me this new car with the bulb already burned out.
But, I called the dealer, they told me this warning light does not go through the bulb check test??? (this would make it impossible to tell if the bulb is burned out, and if this critical overheat warning is disabled).
So at this point I don't know if I am talking to a *** dealer who refuses to fix Kia's defective product, or was the car designed by a moron who does not know to put all warning lights through a bulb check test.

·
Registered
444 Posts
OK thanks rio-t, I found it using a flashlight.
I assume your overheat light comes on during the KOEO bulb check phase, am I correct?
Mine never has since new, so I guess they sold me this new car with the bulb already burned out.
But, I called the dealer, they told me this warning light does not go through the bulb check test??? (this would make it impossible to tell if the bulb is burned out, and if this critical overheat warning is disabled).
So at this point I don't know if I am talking to a *** dealer who refuses to fix Kia's defective product, or was the car designed by a moron who does not know to put all warning lights through a bulb check test.
See my above post. Only certian lights illuminate that are relative to a system check. Take a photo of all the lights that illuminate during your position two. I'm willing to bet you will notice it isn't all of them.

I can not test for you, I no longer have that guage cluster in the car. But I would be interested to see what few lights click on.

The bulbs are not replaceable, they are leds soldered to the board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, thanks, that's good info.
You are right, not all bulbs/leds turn on during the KOEO bulb check phase, but they should.
So we have a bigger problem, not being able to verify if a particular warning light is operational or not, and if one can rely on it.
The only way to be sure seems an OBD scanner showing ECT live data as you drive.
That's one crap of a Kia design in my book, unless you can point to a compelling reason they did it this way.
And, you could make a case that they are not in compliance with the emissions laws if ECT and other indicators that don't check the bulb/led are considered emissions-related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to post. I lifted this car and checked around the engine block. I could not see or feel any coolant drain plugs in the block, just a couple of freeze plugs. And this radiator petcock seems to be the lowest point in the system, so most of the coolant should come out through it.

Also, I can't figure out how to pull out the coolant reserve tank to dump the coolant from it. It seems to be a part of the large fan shroud??? Does it come out on it's own, or do I need to suck the coolant out of there some way?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.6 GDI Hatchback | Tuned
31 Posts
I forgot to post. I lifted this car and checked around the engine block. I could not see or feel any coolant drain plugs in the block, just a couple of freeze plugs. And this radiator petcock seems to be the lowest point in the system, so most of the coolant should come out through it.

Also, I can't figure out how to pull out the coolant reserve tank to dump the coolant from it. It seems to be a part of the large fan shroud??? Does it come out on it's own, or do I need to suck the coolant out of there some way?
You can not separate coolant tank and fan, only way to empty it is suck all old coolant with something. or remove whole fan assy 🤪

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I've noticed this manual says "drain" and "clean" the coolant reserve tank - good luck with that. Another stellar design by Kia.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts