Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul 1.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2012 Kia Soul with the 1.6l GDI engine. There was a safety recall for this vehicle, as well as a product improvement campaign. The vehicle was purchased new, so it is covered by 100k miles drivetrain warranty. The vehicle currently has 101k or 103k miles on it.

Last week the engine blew up on the highway. It blew a hole through the block and spilled oil everywhere. It has always been maintained according to the service manual. Before even looking at it the Kia dealership told me they would not cover it under the safety recall warranty because the software update had not been applied. After a call to Kia Corp, I was told Kia would cover it as long as it was related to the safety recall.
A couple of days later however I received the message that I'll have to pay for all repairs because the mechanic determined the engine failed because of the improvement campaign software update not being performed, and that one does not come with free engine repairs until after the software has been applied (as opposed to the recall, which covers engine damage regardless of the update). I'm personally not buying this and think Kia just found a convenient way not to have to pay for repairs, but who knows?

If the car had broken down a month earlier it would have been covered under the drivetrain warranty, but of course that's not the case either. I was told Kia Corp can't decide to cover this as a courtesy, and that it's up to the parts distributor. They put in a request. Has anyone ever successfully gotten Kia to cover anything outside of warranty?

·
Registered
2012 Soul Base
26 Posts
I bought my 2012 Soul a few months ago and registered with Kia as the new owner. There were 2 previous owners, one for about a year and the other the rest of the time. About a month ago I received a notice from Kia that it needed to go in for the recall and improvement so I took it in. When they finished, with the paperwork that they gave me was an extended warranty on the engine, specific to certain damages related to the ECU Logic and catalytic converter. Rods, bearings, and crankshaft were a big part of it. As I understand it they have to cover it if it's related to the recall but there was a cutoff and it was soon, so I took mine in as soon as they notified me. I'm surprised the dealer wouldn't do it unless it was obviously not connected. Dealers tend to lean towards doing it since it's work for them and paid for by the manufacturer. If you think the failure can be linked to the recall and you haven't passed the cutoff you can file a complaint with the NHTSA: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment | NHTSA . If you go to the 2012 Kia Soul page and scroll down you can open other complaints: 2012 KIA SOUL | NHTSA .

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
There has been reports of Kia honoring the warranty even with the mileage past 100K.

Do you have a written reason from Kia why they reversed their decision to honor warranty?

Best start documenting your correspondence with the Dealership and Kia Corp., and let them know you plan to seek legal assistance if they don't play ball.

Why didn't you get the software update?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul 1.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Swinters I don't believe we had met the cutoff date. A letter was sent last month with the promise of a gift card if we brought it in for the recall. I told Kia Corp I was suspicious of the same dealership telling me Kia instructed them not to cover this under warranty, before they were even in possession of the vehicle, also performing the diagnosis. I asked if a neutral 3rd party could perform the diagnosis instead, and was told that's not an option. Kia Corp will only approve warranty work if a dealership looks at the vehicle.
I sounded to me like the dealership wanted to keep Kia happy. Who knows what kind of perks they get for doing so? First shipment of new vehicles, priority parts access, ... ?

It's going to be next to impossible for me to prove that the engine damage was caused by the recall issue (ECU problem causing hot catalytic converter particles entering the combustion chamber and the piston rod breaking) and not the improvement campaign (knock sensor not detecting the piston rod vibrating abnormally, and it breaking). Both will ultimately result in the same kinds of damage to the engine. The improvement campaign requires the software update to have been applied prior to extending the warranty, which ran out last month (mileage wise). The recall covers engine damage regardless of the software update having been applied earlier, and the dealer claims the issue was caused by the improvement campaign.

@ron1004 Not holding my breath, but that's good news. Nothing written yet. So far it's only been phone conversations with the dealership and Kia Corp (both with a case manager and supervisors). They also did not reverse their decision, since the dealership told our independent mechanic they would not cover it before the tow truck even dropped off the vehicle. It's been their position from the start they would not cover it. Kia Corp stated they would cover it if caused by the safety recall, but are following the recommendation of the dealer that it broke because of the knock sensor issue and not the ECU.
I might go the NHTSA route, but beyond that it sounds like a nightmare to take them to court and probably not worth the hassle. Kia has more expensive lawyers on payroll and can drag this out as long as they want.

As for the software update, it should have been a higher priority. It's a company vehicle for a seasonal business, where Jan/Feb is quiet and the rest of the year incredibly busy. With Covid on top of that, and the dealership always busy (3 weeks out at the moment for a service appointment), we use our local mechanic for service.

·
Registered
2010 kia forte sx 2.4l 6sp manual
40 Posts
I've read plenty of the updates causing or revealing the engine failures from those that did the update or the update flat out caused the problems.

I don't own any other Kia/Hyundai vehicle other than my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta.

I received the update letter. I waited a week before going to the Kia dealership. During the week of dreading the update, I recorded video of my Forte parked, driving, reverse on off etc & video of whenever I put my Autel maxicheck mx808 scanner. For the just in case the update messed up my Forte when before there was nothing wrong.

So for so good. No problems.

Kia/Hyundai should honor the repair regardless of the update. If it was a recall then that's on them.

Did you screen capture the campaign recall before the newly worded/revised (get out engine repair/new engine) version?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Should have been a much higher priority to have that Software Update done.
You snooze - You lose.
Be wrongly lazy - Be rightfully denied.

Reactions: billybob70

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
32 Posts
I've heard of people that had gotten the letter of the software updates, call Kia and set up a date & time to bring it in. Only for the engine to fail before that time and they were denied
warranty work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
billybob....
What source did you hear this from?
Was there a significant lapse of calendar time lost, between the letter arriving in the mail and the service appointment documented? Was the postal letter from Kia delayed in it's arrival to the homeowner's mailbox? The outer envelope should have a postmark date and it's up to the vehicle owner to prove that the letter arrived much later than the postmark date.

Happy Holidays to you.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
32 Posts
billybob....
What source did you hear this from?
Was there a significant lapse of calendar time lost, between the letter arriving in the mail and the service appointment documented? Was the postal letter from Kia delayed in it's arrival to the homeowner's mailbox? The outer envelope should have a postmark date and it's up to the vehicle owner to prove that the letter arrived much later than the postmark date.

Happy Holidays to you.
They received the recall letter and did set up an appointment. Only for the engine to throw a rod before the appointment, so they weren't covered for the damages done. If they had the recall done they would have the added extended warranty. Don't know of the person or milage.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
They received the recall letter and did set up an appointment. Only for the engine to throw a rod before the appointment, so they weren't covered for the damages done. If they had the recall done they would have the added extended warranty. Don't know of the person or milage.
If they responded to the notice in a reasonable amount of time, and in that time made an appointment, then I'm confident that Kia Corp would work with them.

The mailed notice is dated, and there would be a dated record of how long after they made the appointment.

It's just rumors and hearsay, which is of no value, i.e. BS

Reactions: Peale
1 - 10 of 10 Posts