Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX Ebony Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need part #, brand and where to buy for both. Links would be great. I have an SX. Also, will my dealer void my warranty if I replace my own air filters?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Dealer won't void the warranty, just SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!!! Saving your receipts is the most important part of doing your own maintenance. As for the filters, I personally feel that they are extremely reasonable directly from the dealer, and the dealer would have a record that you purchased the filters from them. Per your owner's manual (Page 7-27) "Use a genuine Kia part. Use of non-genuine parts could damage the air flow sensor." As for aftermarkets....part numbers would vary by manufacturer. You will have to find something compatible with 2011-13 Sorento with 3.5L engine. How many miles do you have on your Sorento that you already need to replace the filters?! According to the maintenance schedule the engine air filter needs replaced every 2 years/30k miles (sooner if you drive in sandy, muddy, dusty, rough, graveled or salt-spread roads). The cabin filter should be changed once per year. (Owner's Manual section 7)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Depends on how much you drive and the conditions. Just replaced my cabin air filter with one from napa was like $19usd. It was really easy and quick so why not.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX GDI (AWD)
21 Posts
DIY won't void your warranty.
I have used K&A filter for a long time for several vehicles. I haven't had any issues with it.

FYI. Before a long trip to Lake Tahoe in California recently, I replaced a factory installed air filter with a K&A one at 8k miles.

I feel an improved power with K&N. I can't recommend K&A filter over OEM though but it is the easiest way to improve performance, especially for I4 GDI engine.......

Don't worry about warranty. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
I just ordered both from Amazon.com. I paid a little over $50 for two cabin and two air filters.

Cabin filter: TYC 800029P Hyundai/Kia Replacement Cabin Air Filter

Air filter: Wix 49250 Air Filter

This is for the US market 2011 I4 LX. Cabin filter should work on all new Sorentos, but V6s probably take something different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KIA cannot void the warranty unless they can prove that the part you replaced yourself caused the damage. If you replace the oil filter and you blow a clutch, they're not going to be able to correlate it. If, however, you starve the main bearings of oil and blow the engine, then yeah, they could correlate the failure to the oil filter.

FWIW, most aftermarket filters are worse than OEM. K&N (et al.) certainly flow better, but filter worse. Even aftermarket paper filters (Fram, Purolator, et al.) are typically worse. Look at how many pleats, and how deep the pleats are.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
FWIW, most aftermarket filters are worse than OEM. K&N (et al.) certainly flow better, but filter worse. Even aftermarket paper filters (Fram, Purolator, et al.) are typically worse. Look at how many pleats, and how deep the pleats are.
It's been proven again and again that the K&N filters allow substantially more dirt into your engine than paper filters...whether it's aftermarket or the factory part. Is it worth it for (at best) an improvement of maybe 1-2% in horsepower (at the top end) until the K&N loads up and then actually flows worse than a paper filter? Well, that's up to the individual, but it's not worth it to me.

More dirt "inhaled" = faster wear on the most expensive component in your vehicle. For an interesting test using ISO standard testing equipment:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX Ebony Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Sauron, had a K&N on my 05 Honda Civic and never noticed a difference. Where can I buy OEM engine and cabin filters for the SX at a good price?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
I agree with Sauron, had a K&N on my 05 Honda Civic and never noticed a difference. Where can I buy OEM engine and cabin filters for the SX at a good price?
possibly your local dealer if you take a carton (I think six) or contact our mod/member Cobra259 who is a parts manager at Kia dealership in the US and will ship you a case at a good price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's been proven again and again that the K&N filters allow substantially more dirt into your engine than paper filters...whether it's aftermarket or the factory part. Is it worth it for (at best) an improvement of maybe 1-2% in horsepower (at the top end) until the K&N loads up and then actually flows worse than a paper filter? Well, that's up to the individual, but it's not worth it to me.

More dirt "inhaled" = faster wear on the most expensive component in your vehicle. For an interesting test using ISO standard testing equipment:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Best,
I believe that's what I already said, but if it didn't come through that way, I am not a fan of aftermarket filters. Nevertheless, the OP wanted to know about warranty information, and the M-M act does not allow manufacturers to automatically deny warranty unless they can prove the use of an aftermarket part caused the damage.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I believe that's what I already said, but if it didn't come through that way, I am not a fan of aftermarket filters. Nevertheless, the OP wanted to know about warranty information, and the M-M act does not allow manufacturers to automatically deny warranty unless they can prove the use of an aftermarket part caused the damage.
Yes, I was adding to your point.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
OP, I can sell you the OEM filters at a good price plus you will have a Kia dealership receipt. Trust me you woun't have any problems with warranty. Cabin filters have a list price of $19.95 each, your price is $15.00. Air filters are $15.00 list price, yours for $12.00. No tax, plus shipping. PM me if you want to order some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have done a video on both the cabin and engine air filter on Youtube

Need part #, brand and where to buy for both. Links would be great. I have an SX. Also, will my dealer void my warranty if I replace my own air filters?
I have done a video on both the cabin and engine air filter on Youtube:

2014 Kia Sorento Cabin Air Filter Check And Replacement: https://youtu.be/mLBHq_mw7ms?list=PLnxXRLSlmSVM9iMMAN8ukLpVDq0wICrHy
POTAUTO MAP 1029C Active Carbon Car Cabin Air Filter At Amazon:http://amzn.to/1LtvsLA
(5 Pack) POTAUTO MAP 1029C Active Carbon Car Cabin Air Filter At Amazon: Amazon.com: POTAUTO MAP 1029C (5-Pack) Heavy Active Carbon Car Cabin Air Filter Replacement compatible with HYUNDAI, Santa Fe, KIA, Sorento: Automotive
(10 Pack) POTAUTO MAP 1029C Active Carbon Car Cabin Air Filter At Amazon: Amazon.com: POTAUTO MAP 1029C (10-Pack) Heavy Active Carbon Car Cabin Air Filter Replacement compatible with HYUNDAI, Santa Fe, KIA, Sorento: Automotive
The one pack is $12.00. The 5 pack is $31.77 or $6.35 each and the 10 pack is $60.00 or $6.00 each. I use them and I bought the 5 pack to save cash and have spares for when I need them.

Kia Sorento Engine Air Filter Check/Replacement (SXL 3.3 Litre 6 Cylinder): https://youtu.be/TgvuLikTaQE?list=PLnxXRLSlmSVM9iMMAN8ukLpVDq0wICrHy

FRAM CA11500 Rigid Panel Air Filter At Amazon: http://amzn.to/1K71pLK
WIX 49670 Air Filter At Amazon: Amazon.com: WIX 49670 Air Filter: Automotive

I used the Fram CA11500 and it is working great. Hope that helps. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts