1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

2006/7 Carens 111 2l crdi auto.
I posted on another thread but had no answers, so \i would like to try on this thread.

After work last wednesday, 10pm, I drove home and after 3 minutes the eml flashed on a loud zuzzzzzzing noise came from behind the instrument panel area ( right hand drive UK car) I slowed down but could not stop safely as I had just joined a 70 mph parkway with no hard shoulder ( it was wet and dark). The eml then stayed on and the noise only came when I increased revs to 2500-3000. I limped home with loss of power
. The next day I had a quick look under the bonnet for anything obvious and tried the take off battery trick to reset the eml but no luck.
The noise was quieter but only appears at 2500-3000 revs, but it has a considerable loss of power ( won,t rev beyond 3000). The engine bay is covered (mainly at the front,) with a thin layer of soot? but wipes away with pure water ( no soap needed).
I have now got a fault reader but now need to order an adaptor - 21 pin to the obd pin socket of the reader.
Have any of you guys got any idea or have any experience of the faults or the soot in the engine bay. I've just spent £400 on it with tyres and MOT this month.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
Hi Mudds,

Sorry I deleted your PM by accident so will reply here!

Never heard of your exact problem. The soot sounds like exhaust to me, have you checked the flexi pipe at the back of the engine? The short piece that clamps on to the downpipe? I had a problem where 1 of mine split & had to be replaced.

Mark.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supacabby
No I haven't checked that, but I will first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
Carens crdi 2007
17 Posts
Not sure about the soot but I had a similar problem with my '07 Carens losing power and not going above 3000revs. It turned out it had gone into limp/safety mode and I had to replace the throttle valve/body. The part cost about £200 from a main dealer in Liverpool (too expensive to buy here in Dublin) and the labour wasn't much as it's a quick job. I didn't have any noise behind my dash, that sounds weird. Hope you get sorted.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No codes

Checked the back of the exhaust, but looks OK. I've just received the adaptor and plugged the scantool in. It responded DTC: 0 IM: yes, and then NO CODES.

I take it from that , that there are no codes stored, the EML is still on and it still will not rev over 3000 and the noise is still there at the top of 3000 revs.

I think I will have to bite the bullet next week and seek dealer help. Problem is, our KIA dealer has just changed hands, that to me means mechanics without kia experience.

Just checked with my local Kia- seems I am mistaken and its still the same garage. Can't get it booked in til 24th October--£75 per hour labour charge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0299

The scan tool I bought does not read my car?? But I managed to get it read with a professional one, its throwing up P0299 and P0299+ Turbo under boost.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo

No one else had this problem?

Had a mechanic have a quick look at it, turbo gone, car revs to 3000 which is when the turbo is supposed to kick in, but it just makes the zuzzzzzzing noise as described previously.

Turbo replacement is very expensive , £2500 if straight replacement , main dealer.

Going to go to another garage on recommendation, price quoted is £970. Which is a substantial saving, thats with all the investigations, clean oil and filter etc, £970 was the worst scenario with turbo replacement, but could be less if it turns out to be one or two of the many other things on this engine that could cause loss of turbo power.

When my youngest child leaves home i m buying a very old, non computer 2.5l petrol auto car .

I have heard stories of JEEP diesel turbos failing at 30000 miles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Turbo

Hey Tedser and supacabby thanks for the info.

The garage checked all the info out and then removed the turbo, it had been rubbing on the side of the housing eventually causing it to stick and fail. Had a new one fitted, oil system cleaned out and new oil, filter installed. £1000 with towing.

What a difference though, you can no longer hear the turbo , which we could since we bought the car, and it is smoother to drive. It runs at 1.5k revs at 55mph and under 2k revs at just under 60mph-65mph, on straight level road. We have seen a fuel saving as well. I don't think it will negate the £1000 to repair it though.

After driving my daughters car around , it is great to have it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts