Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday, I took my 2008 Rondo to the dealer to have the evap canister replaced. They replaced that and did the other recommended maitenance (a protective clear coat and a spring in the driver airbag).

When I left the dealer the air conditioner was working perfectly. Later that evening, it was not. The fan was running, but blowing hot air. I couldn't tell if the condensor was on or not. We took a few short trips and a 60 minute drive (about 80 miles and 5 starts). Each start I checked the air conditioner again with my fingers crossed and that last time it was working and kept on going until today.

During the week the check engine light was on and off. I was able to get back into the dealer today. They said a spider had built a very tight nest somewhere in the system, which restricted air flow to the point where the check engine light was triggered. They cleaned it out.

When I left the dealer, the air conditioner was great. I stopped for a few minutes at a store, and when I came out and restarted the car, it was no longer working, just blowing hot air.

I'm beginning to suspect that the air conditioner not working is related to them working on my emissions system, but I can't see how. Is it likely it will start working again like last time? Will it require the same amount of mileage? What gives? Other than this issue, I live my Rondo and it has required very little work.

I try to avoid the dealer because they have no loaners and we're a one car family, but I'll take it back if I have to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

The past few days the air conditioner has worked for the first trip in the morning, but then not after that. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
low on charge and engine is overheating?
the temp gauge will not move between 82 and 105 C - it is calibrated that way.
on my last trip (through Smokey Mountain) temp went to 96-97C - the gauge was exactly same place; however, A/C was still OK.

For your case - when you get warm air - get out from the car (let it idle - do not shut down) and check A/C lines. Mainly the low pressure side (wider lines). They should be cold and moist. If they are not - A/C is not working.

And one more thing.
Funny though.
A/C in our car was blowing warm air for some time when we started the trip. After researching I discovered that the temp controller was set to HOT.
Therefore, check if your car blows cold air (at least outside temp) when set to cold and hot when set to hot.
You said it blows hot - hot hot, or hot not cold?

And damn it - how long does it take to fill out profile so that we know where you are from? A/C will not suffer so much in Wisconsin as it does in south Florida...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts