Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some more help guys. to sum you all up i bought a 2000 kia sportage for 900 bucks in hope of giving it to my daughter for the 16th birthday. it was supposed to only have a bad wireing harness. my mechanic has the new harness installed but it will not turn over. they ran a wire to the starter and that makes it turn over but it will not fire. they seem to think it when the wire harness faulted out it messed up the emc. do you think that could be it? i seen the harness the section was burned to almost unreconizable condition. how can i match up the ecm with ones that are listed on ebay. thanks for the help and hopefully i can get this running for her by her september birthday.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Greetings,

The ECM is located under the carpet on the passenger side front in the pass. cabin: peel the carpet back, you will see the metal ECM bracket covering the ECM and wiring harness assembly.

Remove the ECM bracket - listed on the front of the ECM is the ECM family code, e.g. "K07". The (full) part # should also be listed on the front of the unit,

Use the ECM -family code- to source a replacement.

--
Confirm w/ the mechanic that he attempted to hookup a live data scanner to the OBDII port / that he was unable to obtain connection and/or readings from the existing ECM ...

If readings are able to be obtained, further inquire if any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC codes) are being stored -> reported by the ECM to the scanner before writing off the Engine Control Module..

*For a low-cost ( Laptop-based / USB ) ODBII scanner solution, see my sig..

If the ECM is toast, and the Sportage is using a K07-family ECM, I have a good, tested, spare unit here: PM me and we can discuss price/shipping..

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
That is correct, you are looking for a Kia Sportage K08B CAL. FED. engine control module..

eBay listing link:

k08b ecm | eBay

other sources include your local auto salvage yards,

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

and a Kia Dealer..

--
But again, would be conferring w/ that mechanic to get his opinion & thoughts on whether or not a replacement ECM is the cause of the no-start - if the (???) (engine? dash? fuse box?) wiring harness was that badly burnt, (if it was me) I would be rechecking all fuses in the passenger cabin and engine compartment fuse box, and replacing (both) the main and fuel pump relays in the engine compartment fuse box -before- purchasing a replacement ECM as a diagnostic step, further taking voltage readings at the ignition coil lead, throttle position sensor lead to confirm I was getting +12v at the ignition coil, and +5v at the TPS sensor lead..

In short, primary voltage checks (Relays, Grounds), checking voltage at the sensors and wiring checks of each, and examining ECM-reported data from sensors w/ a live data scanner to confirm expected cold start readings would be primary checks I would make..

If you decide to purchase a replacement ECM to test - go for it, but if no joy, would strongly recommend starting w/ replacing both relays, and confirming ground points are good as a next step.. Then sensor voltages & wiring.. Then live-data scanner reported values..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i will have them do all that. I assume they would they was just telling me that it may be the ecm. THey said that it is not receiving signals from the transmission. i was just trying to get an ideal of what a ecm would cost and if they were abalible if it came to that. thanks for the help soso much.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
... They said that it is not receiving signals from the transmission. ...
That would indicate an issue w/ wiring, an issue w/ a sensor, or an issue with the TCM (Transmission Control Module), located behind the drivers knee airbag, mounted alongside the steering column underneath the dash..

Note the TCM is a (separate) unit from the ECM..

If no signal then I would be checking the wiring harness that runs between the ECM <-> TCM and related connectors: that harness runs through a metal bracket/loop underneath the dash, several folks have reported wiring issues w/ that harness & wiring getting cut due to rubbing on the bracket..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys I am back. We got the sportage running but now have a different issue. it run very badly, part of it is bad gas, it was parked for almost 2 year but something else is going on. it acts like it will not change gears. i noticed that a light flashing saying hold comes one. anyone know any thing about this? Is this a emc thing a transmission thing or none of the above. thanks guys you help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Ok guys I am back. We got the sportage running but now have a different issue. it run very badly, part of it is bad gas, it was parked for almost 2 year but something else is going on. it acts like it will not change gears. i noticed that a light flashing saying hold comes one. anyone know any thing about this? Is this a emc thing a transmission thing or none of the above. thanks guys you help is greatly appreciated.
If it is the -engine- light that is flashing,

A 'flashing hold light' is telling you the engine is misfiring.

When the ECM detects a misfire condition, the engine has to be running very poorly at that point, the ECM alerts the driver by flashing the engine lamp..

The misfire can be caused by poor quality fuel, a restricted fuel system / clogged fuel filter, an ignition system / spark plug firing issue, or exhaust system restriction / degraded catalytic converter restricting exhaust flow,
or it may be a mechanical issue, involving the valve-train or physical (static) timing of the motor,

Without knowing what tune-up maintenance items have been performed, or (what) parts were replaced by the mechanic(s) that did the original repair on the (??) wiring harness, I cannot be more specific:

(if it was me) I would be contacting the mechanic and discussing the current running state of the vehicle / what options are available to you for further diagnosis and repair.

--
To start, I would be (draining) out the poor quality fuel from the gas tank, and filling with fresh fuel + (adding) high quality fuel cleaning product, like Chevron Techron, or SeaFoam fuel system cleaner.. And would be (replacing) the fuel filter at the same time, to eliminate fuel blockage /restriction at the fuel filter was contributing or causing the issue..

And would recommend performing a full general tune-up: Air filter, Spark plugs, full Oil and Filter change, Coolant inspection and flush/fill if coolant is dull or discolored..

*If the check engine light is on, have the DTC codes stored in the ECM read, if "misfire" codes are present, the above applies..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
If it is the -engine- light that is flashing,

A 'flashing hold light' is telling you the engine is misfiring.

When the ECM detects a misfire condition, the engine has to be running very poorly at that point, the ECM alerts the driver by flashing the engine lamp..

The misfire can be caused by poor quality fuel, a restricted fuel system / clogged fuel filter, an ignition system / spark plug firing issue, or exhaust system restriction / degraded catalytic converter restricting exhaust flow,
or it may be a mechanical issue, involving the valve-train or physical (static) timing of the motor,

Without knowing what tune-up maintenance items have been performed, or (what) parts were replaced by the mechanic(s) that did the original repair on the (??) wiring harness, I cannot be more specific:

(if it was me) I would be contacting the mechanic and discussing the current running state of the vehicle / what options are available to you for further diagnosis and repair.

--
To start, I would be (draining) out the poor quality fuel from the gas tank, and filling with fresh fuel + (adding) high quality fuel cleaning product, like Chevron Techron, or SeaFoam fuel system cleaner.. And would be (replacing) the fuel filter at the same time, to eliminate fuel blockage /restriction at the fuel filter was contributing or causing the issue..

And would recommend performing a full general tune-up: Air filter, Spark plugs, full Oil and Filter change, Coolant inspection and flush/fill if coolant is dull or discolored..

*If the check engine light is on, have the DTC codes stored in the ECM read, if "misfire" codes are present, the above applies..

Regards,
GottaCruise

I was under the impression that a flashing "hold" light indicates stored transmission DTCs, not a misfire.

A scan tool would need to be hooked up to the TCM, although it sounds like other driveability issues are existent apart from the transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will follow your advice and have them put new plugs and wire on, along with pulling the tank and fresh gas. i was thinking the plugs may have fouled would not hurt anyway. they are still thinking that the ecm is bad. they are saying that the temperature and something else i can not remember is not responding. i too though the flashing hold buttone was some type of transmission issue. the mechanics working on my kia are more or less shade tree, they have a shop and all but not ase certified. i was thinking that i would let them get the motor running smooth on idle and see if that corrects things. and if it still show the hold flashing then, i would pay them up and take it to a transmission place that specializes in trannys. what do you guys think. also, thanks so much for you help/ i printed off the thing you listed and i think that is what got it to cranking. hopefully i can get her going.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I was under the impression that a flashing "hold" light indicates stored transmission DTCs, not a misfire.

A scan tool would need to be hooked up to the TCM, although it sounds like other driveability issues are existent apart from the transmission.

Greetings DeeRock,

Thanks for posting this info, much appreciated by a (5 speed only) Sporty owner..

dirtyleft: Aside from the other issues, the common denominator between the (2) (engine & trans) is the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor issue:

I really think that needs to be investigated & corrected, so the ECM and TCM are seeing proper coolant temp., before diverging on different repair paths,

In short, correct the known issue(s) first before spending lots of $$$.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotta Cruze I checked on on the sprtage today and now have a better idea of what they are seeing. First, I ran my ODBII scanner on it and it give two codes, P1115 and P1121. Now when I goto the active dashboard there is no reading. There is not coolant temp, fuel bank reading or any thing. This what they were seeing an why they were thinking the EMC is bad. They told me that the bad gas was drained and new sparkplugs were put in as well. any ideas from the new info? As always thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi dirtyleft,

Would like to try and help -

1) I really need to know which wiring harness was replaced by the mechanics first, before proceeding further..

2) Also please confirm you own a digital multimeter (DVOM) with voltage, ohm (resistance), and continuity test functions --- if we are going to do this, it will be needed for wire tracing & testing,

Purpose of testing will be to confirm wire continuity and voltage values at key points between the ECM harness and connections / sensors, to either confirm the ECM is bad, or locate the issue and effect a repair,

--
If you are up for a Sporty wiring challenge, please reply to questions 1) and 2) above,

Thanks,
Robert (aka GottaCruise)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i am up for it

1: the wire harness that i was replaced was the main wire harness. Part number 2k08a67070. i called a dealer and got the part number needed. then i call multiple junk yards and got the vin number then called the dealer to find out what part number wire harness went to that vin number. i had to call 10 junk yards untill I found one that had the same part number my sportage had. The last 5 of my vin is 65861 and the last 5 of the parted out sportage was 33588,

2: yes I have a digital multimeter and the repair show guys have one to. Both have all capabilities you described.

I think I gave detailed information for the questions you asked. Thanks ...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
yes i am up for it

1: the wire harness that i was replaced was the main wire harness. Part number 2k08a67070. i called a dealer and got the part number needed. then i call multiple junk yards and got the vin number then called the dealer to find out what part number wire harness went to that vin number. i had to call 10 junk yards untill I found one that had the same part number my sportage had. The last 5 of my vin is 65861 and the last 5 of the parted out sportage was 33588,

2: yes I have a digital multimeter and the repair show guys have one to. Both have all capabilities you described.

I think I gave detailed information for the questions you asked. Thanks ...
Cool, that's exactly what I needed, Thanks.

(That part number references the main Engine wiring harness.)

Timeline:
--
I have to 'dig out' the 2001 parts Sporty here, (has auto trans), still lots o' snow here in NH, but thankfully melting fast.. Will be doing that before work today.

My work and personal schedule is really full w/ Easter this weekend - but will be referencing the ETM schematics and getting a testing plan together to post by Tuesday next week for us to proceed.

In the meantime, we will be checking connections at and testing directly off the ECM harness.

If you can get the Sporty parked in a secure, accessible location where it can remain for several days/weeks, disconnect the battery, remove (disconnect) the ECM from the wiring harness & store both the ECM and battery in a safe, dry location, that would help speed things up / get us ready for some wiring inspection and testing..

Thanks,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
dirtyleft,

Still working on this - weather here in NH and work schedule have limited my time to check wiring on the parts Sporty, still plugging along to get you testing points on the ECM connector. Hope to make better progress over the weekend / Monday & Tuesday of next week.

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 16 of 16 Posts