Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem for me.

As tI was driving around town today ( in the rain) My heater fan stopped blowing . When I tried to turn it on, all my dash gauges (speedomoter, tach, etc.) died. Gas metet went to full. As soon as I turned the heater off, everything went back to normal. Then I tried to turn on my headlights and the same anomaly occurred with the dash gauges.

It seems like some sort of short or missing ground? Anyone know why or how the heater fan and headlights are connected with the dash? I went through fuses the other day and all seemed well, but I need to go through and see again.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
New problem for me.

As tI was driving around town today ( in the rain) My heater fan stopped blowing . When I tried to turn it on, all my dash gauges (speedomoter, tach, etc.) died. Gas metet went to full. As soon as I turned the heater off, everything went back to normal. Then I tried to turn on my headlights and the same anomaly occurred with the dash gauges.

It seems like some sort of short or missing ground? Anyone know why or how the heater fan and headlights are connected with the dash? I went through fuses the other day and all seemed well, but I need to go through and see again.
Would first recommend cleaning up major ground points in the =engine= compartment: battery terminals, neg. batt. to ground tray, ground tray bolts, engine strap (wire) terminals,

Then the (2) major ground points in the passenger cabin: behind driver side kick panel, below pass. cabin fuse panel, behind pass. kick panel,

above on the us-model sporty here.

would also recommend checking the condition of your alternator:
the alternator belt,
the alternator itself to make sure the pulley is turning freely,
the condition of the output (thick) wire & post, and the (sense) wire connector..

if it's still flaking out when turning on the heater, don't turn the heater on. check the switch, heater switch resistor, and heater motor.

--
running with a bad / floating ground or alternator output issue is not good, it can/will eventually cause other components to fail..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts