Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX, 2.4L. FWD
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I get a shock almost every time I touch the driver side door with my bare hand? Is there a remedy for that?:mad: The dealer has no clue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I get shocked painfully from the drivers side door on my 2013 Sorento.

Just one of over a thousand reasons I regret buying this car...
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
Buy a can of anti-static spray and use it. Easier and cheaper than complainibg about the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
If you get the shock when you touch the door after getting out of the car, it's because you're building up a static charge when you slide off the seat. The best way to fix this problem is to open the door first, grab on to the metal part of it and then slide off the seat. Doing this will transfer the static electricity to ground as you generate it, instead of turning you into a capacitor and then discharging all at once.

(I can't help but think of the scene in Office Space)
 

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Put some grounding straps on the vehicle. They attach to the frame and touch the ground. They discharge static electricity while the vehicle is moving.
 

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
Joined
·
150 Posts
If you get the shock when you touch the door after getting out of the car, it's because you're building up a static charge when you slide off the seat. The best way to fix this problem is to open the door first, grab on to the metal part of it and then slide off the seat. Doing this will transfer the static electricity to ground as you generate it, instead of turning you into a capacitor and then discharging all at once.

(I can't help but think of the scene in Office Space)
+1 I found that sliding off the seat and your clothing material cause this as well. Don't slide off the seat helps me.
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
3M makes an anti-static spray that will cure your static discharge problem.
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Shocking

Back in the day there used to be a strap hanging down from the car to ground it. I believe they still have them. That started when they had Turnpike collectors and you would get shocked when you gave them your quarter (yea.. that old).
That static is what caused gas station fires, getting in to your car after you put in the pump hose. You would gain a charge getting in/our of the car then grab the metal handle and flash.. a fire.
Antistatic Car Ground Strap
 

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX, 2.4L. FWD
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your advice. I found when I touch the metal part of the door before I get out solved the problem. (If I remember to do so:D) It is not always that I get a shock. I think it has something to do with the atmospheric conditions. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
You're very correct about the environment. It's all about a path to ground.

Cold + dry = higher static electricity. If you think about the path to ground, it goes from you, to a seat/door panel/steering wheel to frame, to springs/lower control arm, to wheel bearing, to the wheel hub, to the tire, to the ground. With exception to both ends (you to car) and (wheel hub to ground) everything is metal, and therefore flows electricity fine. Rubber is a lousy conductor, so in the past, tire manufacturers had a hard time creating tires that couldn't conduct enough electricity to avoid electrical shocks.

I'm guessing that certain tires even now are worse than others.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top