·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Having a few weird electrical probelms with my 02 manual sporty:

- buzzer does not sound when lights are left on

-can pull the keys out and the car still runs ( may not be electrical )

- antenna does not go up/down

-clock radio resets every time car starts

-central locking does not work unless the car is already on

I'm guessing these are all related in some way and would greatly appreciate it if anyone had any info which may help.

I think the central locking, clock radio, lights alarm are all caused by power only being supplied when the ignition is on. i.e there is no power at all when the car is off

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
They all seem to be from different causes.. The car is 10 years old and will have problems that need addressed...

First I'd check the "ROOM" labeled fuse that supplies power to the "memory" circuits in the car.. It's located in the passenger compartment fuse panel. This may solve some of your problems.

"-can pull the keys out and the car still runs ( may not be electrical )"
Sounds like a worn out ignition lock...

"- antenna does not go up/down"
Sounds like the motor (or nylon gears) in the antenna is/are bad.

Try theses items and get back with us...
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,

-Thanks for the reply. I checked the ROOM fuse but that was fine.

-I'm not too worried about being able to take the keys out, I just thought that it may of been related to the other problems.

-Do you know where I can access the antenna's remote wire, or its colour, to test the motor properly? I'm guessing its somewhere behind the audio head unit? (its a Right hand drive car)

Cheers

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
At least for your radio (and possibly the antenna), it sounds like you are not getting your "always on" 12V feed. Pull the radio out and check for 12V with the car off. It should be on the yellow radio wire, the red wire should have 12V only when the car is on.

While you're in there you can also check to see if your radio is sending power to your antenna motor (I think it's the blue wire but not sure)

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Wolf,

I had a look at the yellow "always on wire" , it appears I am not getting any power at all from it. It may also be the cause of some of my other problems, is there a fuse controlling it somewhere?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
The "always on" wire is fed by the ROOM fuse i mentioned. It's always on because it feeds the memory circuits (radio/clock)...
Also KIA does not follow the color codes for wire feeds so a yellow wire may or may not be the memory (always on) feed.
kiatechinfo.com will have a wiring diagram "similar" to your car (in Oz).
You should be able to register and get in even though you are not a North American customer.. If you need a address or zip (which I doubt) were here.
I also have a "cut-n-paste" on what's required to successfully register and log on..just ask.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts