Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having trouble with kia sportage '99.
1. My interior lights (that illuminate the mpr only) went out.
2. Next day, car will not shft from park.
3. Moter runs hard when lights are switched on.
Could this be an electrical problem? I know my spark plugs could use a changing but have avoided that issue because so difficult to get at. Im about to get some fuses to test those out, but I figured it might be bigger then that and maybe I need some "professional" help.Just not from the dealorship!!LOL
The engine is new, they had to replace it the first week I got it cause it dropped. Also, the battery is new and the alternator rebuilt. Thanks-

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
so this is an automatic correct?
if so there is a manual override button if the gearshifter gets stuck in position. look down at the shifter you will see this cap thing kinda to the side of it. pop that off and stick a screwdriver down in there. you should hear a click if not move the screw driver around till you do. this is the override. it should come outta park now.

when turning on the lights, a/c or any accesery it will bog down a little but when starting to move you should notice it come back to normal its just kia puts in weak alts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honestly, I am by no way an Engine Expert and I had no problem changing my spark plugs. Yes, they are somewhat hidden and hard to find at first. However, all that is required is toe dismantle the part of the intake that runs over the engine and then take the black center cover off the center of the engine and you are right into the spark plugs. Didn't take to much time either and spark plugs are cheap. I was so proud of myself (wow I am corny), but I am like a interior/electrical wiring guy and this was my first engine work I ever did.

Next up, I am working with someone to rip out my stock intake and setup a C.A.I which should not be to difficult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1fastkia-It is an automatic/4wd....Thanks for the heads up on where the override was, my mechanic friends kept telling me there was a button....but all I ever saw was the hold button- that I never touch! I did the first week, but then the engine dropped....Actually my car has been running quite well and it's nice to find a forum that knows the niceties of the Sportage. I ran into alot of bad press right after I bought my kia, but the car has and is alot of fun and nice features. I really think my Sprtage is acting funny cause I let my roomie borrow her to go to the store. cars do not like to be driven by other people, they can be quite sensitive.

Is this all I should do? Then maybe I'll get a dianostic from auto zone....does that little orange device tell when you need new fuses?

Thanks-OnEE(newbie auto person, but I did take auto maintence in High School)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts