Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I hope someone here can give me some guidance. I have a 2000 Sportage 2wd Auto. I recently swapped in an engine out of a wrecked sporty. I had a few issues with some connectors being undone, it was late we were tired and we missed them. Now it runs great, lots of power, no check engine lights, its good. Except the AC doesnt work, the wiper fluid pump doesnt work and now my windows wont roll down. The windows were working after the swap but very slowly. Im guessing I either have a ground issue or another connector undone. Ive looked the best I can with it on ramps and I checked the ground from the body right below the battery to the intake and to the battery. I also checked the ground wire on the bellhousing by the starter, its tight and clean but until I get it on the lift I wasnt able to trace the other end. When we did the swap we dropped the tranny first to make it easier to get to the connectors on the back of the engine without breaking anything. We reinstalled in the reverse, engine then tranny.

I downloaded the service manual from 4x4wire and cant find the wiring diagrams in it. I also checked KiaTech and found some of the diagrams but they are kind of vague as to locations and Im not very familiar with how KiaTech is layed out. The items above that Im having issues with seem to share a ground G300. The problem is that I dont know where that particular ground is. Does anybody have any insight or any other ideas? Maybe a connector they share? I did check the fuse for the windows and it is good and there is power to it, but none at the window switch.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,962 Posts
If they share the same ground....just add another ground wire on one of the items and to then to the body/frame/earth...if things start working leave the new ground return wire in place... Nothing wrong with an "extra" ground...
The windows I'd suggest checking the wires in the flexible rubber "hose" between the door frame and the door...Those wires get bent back and forth as the door opens and shuts and they can break...I just repaired an 06 Jeep Commander that the door locks and front windows wouldn't work..It was a broken red/white wire in the "hose". The window motors are also a known problem in older Sportages.
I am uploading my copy of "95-02 Sportage info" to my Google drive and when on line I'll attach the link in this thread for you to download.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave you are a life saver. Are the pdfs in the main folder the same as the service manual? I havent looked at those yet, but the electrical folder is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, thank you, thank you! This should make tracking down the issues a whole lot quicker.

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
My/Our pleasure...We are here to help KIA owners with their questions and problems...
This is an earlier version of KIAs manuals...A lot of information there.
Dave.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All is now well in Kia land. A big thanks to Dave for the link with all of the good diagrams. After tracing everything checking grounds and connectors, everything is working. Now for the stupidity. The window and AC issue was a fuse. The rear wiper fuse to be exact. I had checked it visually. It and the window fuse were the first things I checked. It wasnt blown but it had a hairline fracture in one of the legs. I didnt notice it when I first looked at it. When I couldnt get voltage on the relay from that circuit I started over and checked the fuses continuity. It looked good but no continuity. You couldnt see the crack until you held it up to the light. Ive never seen that happen before. I installed a new fuse and the windows and AC work. The funny thing is I didnt see on the diagrams where the R wiper circuit affects the AC. I will have to recheck. I still couldnt get the wiper fluid pump to work. So I took it out and jumped it right to the battery, hmmm, still no spray. Pull the pump out of the parts car jump it and its spraying all over the place. Bad pump. Cut the connector out of the parts car splice it into the good car plug it in, and clean my windshield. I still havent figured out what happened. Everything worked before the swap. None of these circuits were touched during the swap. Afterwards the windows worked for awhile but the AC didnt. I hate gremlins.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Congrats on the swap and repair.

about the "gremlins", I wouldn't be too surprised - jacking the Sporty up, removing the trans. and engine, and installing a replacement engine changes weight distribution and places stress on different areas of the vehicle - parts that were borderline before the swap do sometimes fail..

On the '97 Ford Aspire here, after jacking up the motor, bracing it to remove the lower trans. mount to access / change the trans. pan filter and gasket, the airbag light came on post-repair.. For the steering column airbag, which wasn't touched or anywhere near or involved w/ the transmission.. Turned out to be poor pin contact in the connector, which most likely wouldn't have shown up otherwise.

Again, congrats, if the A/C has any further 'gremlins', the wiring and connector from the engine firewall -> the A/C compressor is a common issue area: I've had to splice in a replacement lead over to the compressor on both the Sportys here at some point.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
Congrats on getting it all worked out...
We are HUMANS and are prone to ERROR.
You should be proud that you kept at it...and your reward is your
Sportage giving you pleasure...
Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I want to sell it. I want a 4x4 Sporty.
Its a 2000 2wd auto white on grey, roof rack with 135k on the body, 124K on the engine. New main seals, oil pan gasket, timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, head gasket(while it was out), plugs, wires and boots, intake and exhaust gaskets, oil filter bracket o rings, all the belts, new ATF, diff oil changed, brake fluid changed and bled, and a brand new battery. Brakes were changed a month before I got it (so five months old)and still look new, tires are so-so(spare is brand new), AC was just serviced before I swapped the engine, the body has a few dings but aboslutely zero rust anywhere on the truck, headlights just polished clear as window glass, upholstery is a little dingy but no tears or rips, and everything works. Anybody have a clue for worth? Ive been watching craigslist in Charlotte and the ads ask anywhere from 2k to 5k for more milage. Im thinking $3500 to start, since all the service has been done. Sound fair?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
If the body is rust-free, and the frame is also rust-free, $3,500 sounds like a good asking price.. ( Potential buyers may bid lower based on the tires, though. )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.