Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Rio5 SX, '04 Nissan Armada, '99 ZX-7R, '12 Z1000
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's the deal....
this started happening earlier this week.

when my headlights are on then turn my fog lights on my LEFT fog, LEDs, parking light and front indicator all go out. also the AC/heat blower stops.
when i turn the fog lights off they all turn back on.
now, this afternoon as i'm parking & turning the steering wheel i accidentally hit the wiper stalk and the wipers just slowly inch up then stop halfway.
no matter what speed i put them on they just kept slowly inching up.
i figure i'll turn the car off then back on again, all that did was move the wipers back down an inch. i had to repeatedly turn the ignition on & off just to get the wipers back down.
at this point i'm like WTF!
so needless to say i'm dropping the car off @ the dealer in the morning.

oh, also, not sure if this is part of the problem or just normal but when the head lights and fog lights are on and the high beams are turned on, are the fog lights supposed to turn off? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
oh, also, not sure if this is part of the problem or just normal but when the head lights and fog lights are on and the high beams are turned on, are the fog lights supposed to turn off? :confused:
Yes, this is normal. Fog light can only be used with low beams and must turn off with high beams.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this is normal. Fog light can only be used with low beams and must turn off with high beams.
ok. cool.
one less thing to worry about.
thanks.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Only in some markets.

Besides, you shouldn't be driving with fog lights on anyway, unless you're actually in fog.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
I had an issue In my rio in which I would be streaming music from my iPhone using the kia iPhone cable and as soon as I turned on the high beams the iPod USB port would lose power for like a second and then comeback making the music to stop playing and the audio head unit to restart and read the iPhone media again. I solved it by installing a yellow top optima battery in my Rio. I have HIDs installed as well

·
Registered
929 Posts
fog lights are yellow, what we all have on our cars actually do sh!t all in fog :p
so it's not illegal to have 'driving lights' :)
Lower lights, which are factory-equipped on vehicles, are fog lights. Be they yellow or not.
My Octavia vRS fogs are actually pretty good.

Also - "Driving lights", by law, must be wired to only be allowed to operate whilst the high beam is on.
"Fog lights", by law, must be wired to only operate whilst the parking lights, and anything brighter than them, are on.

"Driving lights" on whilst high beam is not on, or "Fog lights" on whilst not in fog... Either way, its illegal.
And blinding.
And bloody stupid.

·
Registered
929 Posts
In the States the people love to drive with fog light on.
They do here, too.
Especially the people who drive 4WD's with bull bars, who's fog lights don't point down, they point out and up. And straight into your eyes. 110W of light that looks like high beam when its coming at you. And the idiots don't even know what they're doing.
Then you see the people in WRX's, Grand Cherokee's, BMW's, and Merc's who drive with both the front and REAR fogs on. So not only are you being blinded when they overtake you, but you get blinded for about 5min AFTERWARDS.

No, people. The bright red light at the back is meant for when you're stopping, not running down the highway at 11pm in absolutely clear weather. I don't need to see you're there from 2k's away.
Fortunately, all of the vehicles I've driven have had "soft switches" for the rear fogs. (I.E. You have to manually turn them on each time you turn the headlights on, or start the car, or both. As opposed to "hard switches", where you switch it and it stays there. Like your normal high beam switch, or power point in your house, etc.)

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Either way, its illegal.
And blinding.
And bloody stupid.
Illegal is dependant upon your location. Every state/province/country has their own regulations. You can't simply make a blanket statement about legality.

And fogs are far less bright than the high beams. Only maybe 1 in 10 fogs that I have seen coming at me have been "blinding." For the most part, factory installed fog lights are cosmetic anyway and not really intended for fog situations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
picked it up last nite, everything good now.
they said the problem was a bad ground @ some relay that controls the lights as well as the wipers.

also had them change the oil/filter for me since she's got 5k miles on her now.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Good fog lights have an extremely sharp cut off of the top of the beam. The top of the beam should be flat. That will minimize the lighting of the fog at your eye level. Most OEM fog lights are crap.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
mine has a noisy relay when you turn the car off, which seems to do a slight but audible (from the outside) squeal for about 20 seconds after the ignition is switched off, then clicks off. Dunno if that's a normal relay sound for Kia, or if it's just dodgy. Not sure what it's controlling either, as it doesn't co-incide with the lights going off or anything else. It's a relay in the engine bay somewhere.

·
Registered
929 Posts
mine has a noisy relay when you turn the car off, which seems to do a slight but audible (from the outside) squeal for about 20 seconds after the ignition is switched off, then clicks off. Dunno if that's a normal relay sound for Kia, or if it's just dodgy. Not sure what it's controlling either, as it doesn't co-incide with the lights going off or anything else. It's a relay in the engine bay somewhere.
In our Diesel, there was a relay, a hum and a noise that sounded like some kind of - perhaps - cleaning mechanism.
It lasted for maybe 10sec, and then everything went silent. Also - The electric windows stopped cranking once all was quiet, too.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
In our Diesel, there was a relay, a hum and a noise that sounded like some kind of - perhaps - cleaning mechanism.
It lasted for maybe 10sec, and then everything went silent. Also - The electric windows stopped cranking once all was quiet, too.
that's interesting and yeah it may indeed be the relay for the electric window lockout system, but then that kicks in as soon as you open a door, which we obviously did already to get out

it's a weird one, but not a big deal i guess

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, i've noticed that as well.
just figured it was normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts