Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Spectra EX with an electrical problem that I cannot identify. It has a new battery, but no power is getting from the battery to anything. No lights, no door locks, nothing. The problem was caused by me being stupid: when I was jump starting the car, and hooked the cables to the wrong sides of the battery (pos on neg, neg on pos). Yes, I know how completely stupid that was.

Here's what I've done so far to try to identify the problem:
- Replaced the battery
- Checked the fuses (One was blown--the 15A in the interior fuse box labeled "power." I replaced it, but that had no noticeable effect.)
- Checked the relays (This was the first time I've actually tested relays, but the multimeter that I got indicated continuity for all of the ones I tested. I tested the relay from the interior box labeled "power" and the one labeled "main" in the fuse box under the hood.)

Does anyone have an idea of where the problem might be? Thanks!

-Joe

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
There is a 80~120A "MAIN" fuse..It is located under the hood in the fuse box.
The wires be bolted to it's leads... This fuse "usually" blows with reversed battery leads. I wouldn't be surprised that there will be other items gone also.
Solid state electronics do not like reverse voltage and damage happens in milliseconds before the fuses have a chance to protect them.
Take a multi-meter set on voltage scale and give us some "points" where there is voltage still present and where it is missing...
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Possibly an understandable error; connecting batteries in series it's positive to negative. For jumping, it's parallel.

I'm coming to the opinion that jump-starting is to be avoided. There are normally 3 cars parked at my place that all use the same size and style of battery, so it's usually a simple swap. I also keep a spare battery once the others are getting a bit of age on them; spare is carried on long trips as well.

Some modern electronic equipment is protected against reverse polarity, but I have no idea how much of your car is protected. Maybe only the accessories like the radio etc.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
+1 on the Main fuse being blown - with battery terminals disconnected, use the continuity check function on the meter to test the 120 Amp. [ALT] fuse in the engine compartment fuse box..
* From the owner's manual, the Alt fuse is secured by (2) philips screws that need to be removed on either side of the
|--- x [ALT] x ---| fuse before it will release from the fuse box...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

The 120A main fuse looked intact, and I just tested it with the DMM, which confirmed that it didn't blow.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Unfortunately I don't own a Spectra, and the ETM schematic diagrams on the kiatechinfo website are not showing up for me for the '07 Spectra..

Here's a link to an older post that may be helpful to you:

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-cerato-shuma-spectra-forum/57386-03-spectra-no-power-juice-crank.html

--
I'm not an advocate of blindly replacing parts, but if you have confirmed all fuses are good, (if it was me) I would probably purchase a replacement (Main) and (Starter) relay to be sure both were Q/A'd -> confident they were good while further testing.. Just a thought.

HTH & Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 6 of 6 Posts