Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone needs to ask KIA about their transition to electric steering for the 2014 Sorento. WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING????? This has got to be the dumbest move since GM tried to make diesels out of gas engines. I only wish I had test driven the vehicle a bit better. For sure, I hope I get used to it, but after 2 weeks, I have to wonder about those in charge at KIA and WTF were you thinking??????

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+ V6 / 2018 Forte 5 LX
58 Posts
My last several vehicles have all been electric power steering. Can't say that it's ever bothered me. You get used to it to the point where the hydraulics just feel weird when you switch to an older car.

The vast majority of the new cars on the road now use electric, guess it saves a bit of fuel milage by not running it off the engine. I imagine some of that offsets from the extra altenator use, but evidentally somebody decided it was more efficient.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't gotten used to it. In my Sorento, it feels overboosted to the point of having no feel for the road at all. Funny thing is, our Nissan Altima (2013) has electric steering but it is far superior to Kia's in terms of feel. This is my forth Kia and my first with this kind of steering and thus far, I hate it.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
maybe check the air pressure in your tires.. I haven't noticed any problems at all in my steering using comfort/normal/or sport. My air pressure is set at 33 pounds, and am happy with the steering.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I previously had a 2011 Sportage SX and it had the electric steering so I was use to it. I think the 3 choice settings is very nice. Doesn't bother me one bit so far.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that...

I have them at 36 psi, but you make a valid point. Maybe at a lower pressure, the feel might be a bit better. Thanks.

maybe check the air pressure in your tires.. I haven't noticed any problems at all in my steering using comfort/normal/or sport. My air pressure is set at 33 pounds, and am happy with the steering.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
I really enjoy our differnet steering modes (normal-sport-comfort) my wife keeps in on normal, i always change to sport!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changing Steering

Hello, I'm new to this forum and also 4 weeks old on my Sorento. After going through the 4 books I must have overlooked the topic of changing the steering. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks

·
Registered
Honda Jazz, Kia Sorrento MY13 Platinum 2.2 crdi diesel, Auto, AWD
43 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum and also 4 weeks old on my Sorento. After going through the 4 books I must have overlooked the topic of changing the steering. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks
On a non technical reply,

Normal should feel like a hydraulic steering
Sport should be tighter
Comfort is the lightest and ideally turn with a finger

·
Registered
427 Posts

Thanks
What trim level is your Sorento? The adjustable steering only comes on the SX and SXL (US).

P.S. Check page 4-51 of your owners manual (US Version).

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
What trim level is your Sorento? The adjustable steering only comes on the SX and SXL (US).

P.S. Check page 4-51 of your owners manual (US Version).
and just on the SX model in Canada and page 4/52 in the 2014 Canadian owners manual

·
Registered
2008 rondo,gone , 2001 olds aurora gone, 2014 Sorento EX awaiting delivery, Finally delivered!
82 Posts
what happens when??

The battery fails?
You have to push by hand or tow?
Is there a back up system?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
If/when the electric power steering fails it just like the power steering on a normal car when the pump or fluid gives way...During driving above 5mph it's slightly harder and during slow moving (parking) it can be a bear...The car is still drivable..
Dave

·
Registered
2008 rondo,gone , 2001 olds aurora gone, 2014 Sorento EX awaiting delivery, Finally delivered!
82 Posts
Ahh l see!

It is not in fact electric power steering but an electric motor driving the hydraulic pump in place of the engine driven belt/pully system.
That being the case why is there an extremely light feel to the wheel?
It reminded me of the days when power steering was being introduced to the american automobiles GM had it right and Ford had no road feel at all. The Kia system reminded me of the early fords (1950's)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
It is not in fact electric power steering but an electric motor driving the hydraulic pump in place of the engine driven belt/pully system.
That being the case why is there an extremely light feel to the wheel?
It reminded me of the days when power steering was being introduced to the american automobiles GM had it right and Ford had no road feel at all. The Kia system reminded me of the early fords (1950's)
There are no hydraulics in the system. There is a motor attached to the steering column which provides assist as needed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are no hydraulics in the system. There is a motor attached to the steering column which provides assist as needed.
Exactly...I'm pretty sure all vehicles with electric power steering use an electric motor on the steering column. Some do it better than others...my brother's new 2013 Ram 1500 truck has electric power steering, and you'd never know it. Feels completely normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts