Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The door locks have lost a lot of their force in locking/unlocking the doors on my 2002 Sportage. Sometimes the locks must be manually lifted to let passengers in. I suspect it may be a corroded grounding problem. Can anyone tell me where it might be located or if there is another common culprit for this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Greetings,

G200 - behind driver's side kick panel, below pass. cabin fuse box,
G201 - behind passenger side kick panel,
G400 - behind left tail lamp assembly (4 door, rear locks),

--
Also clean battery terminals, neg. bat. cable to ground tray point & bolt, ground tray to engine ground strap, ground tray -> frame bolts (if applicable),

--
check voltage readings:
direct battery Pos. and Neg.,
battery Pos. to ground point at motor,

Passenger cabin fuse box hot lead Positive + to ground at body/frame,

* all readings s/b within .1 - .5 volt of each other..

*If you find that ground rings are corroded and/or rusted, also consider inspecting and cleaning the fuel pump ground ring, under the carpet flap in rear cargo area also,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Lubrication, lubrication, lubrication!.... Philip
I suspect this is the issue with mine. The colder the temp is, the less they like to move. Usually have to double-tap to get them to lock or unlock completely.

What kind of lube would you suggest for door locks? Are there any parts of the door lock system that should not be lubed?

·
Registered
00 Sportage 4wd, 00 Sportage EX 4wd, 02 Sportage 2wd
175 Posts
The door lock motors are controlled by the ETACS module, which is under the ashtray. The wiring from the module leads over toward the driver's side of the dash, which would make me believe it is grounded at the driver's side kick panel. However, according to the wiring diagrams (which are not always 100% accurate, I've noticed), it may be grounded at the passenger side kick panel. To be safe, make sure they are all clean. Check the body to battery ground as well like GottaCruise mentioned.

wolf_7669, I also have a 2000 Sportage in western Washington, haven't had any trouble with my door locks during cold weather. I would use graphite lube (LockEase) in the cylinders, and white lithium grease on the moving parts inside the door. I would hesitate putting lube in the lock motors themselves, although they would most likely be the part that needs it the most.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts