Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Elan 1997, Landrover LR3 2008
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my 'new' 1997 Elan has spent the last 3 weeks at the doctors! I just checked today and they are struggling to find parts. When I was driving it the belt snapped, damaging the tensioner and a 'pulley' is what the garage are calling the 3rd bit. I have no idea what this pulley is but know they cannot find the parts here in Dubai.

So the part numbers I have I can't seem to relate anywhere....

Tensioner: OKA615981A
Belt: 5P2020

I got these from the garage and they are not sure they are correct. Also they dont know or cant explain what this pulley is!

Any help much appreciated as I want my car back.

Cheers
Mark

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,926 Posts
I'm guessing that it's the serpentine belt and its tensioner.

The automatic tensioner is actually made in Canada, and the Elan's had two versions, so you will need to confirm which one - try and get a photo of the tensioner and I'll help track it down.

The one on my car is 0K9A6-15-981A

http://www.niparts.com/s_69F8FD/0K9A615981A.html

PS. How about filling in your profile detail.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron

Thanks a bunch for getting back so quickly. I have emailed my garage to get me a picture and will get back to you. So they have had the car 3 weeks and only today told em they cant find the parts or anyone to tell them where to look. I knew If i came on here someone would help so thanks.

Yes the belt just gave way and he says i damaged the tensioner and some pully? have to go and see what pulley he was talking about. Once we have the correct parts do you know where I can buy them? I have a colleague about to come over from Houston to us in Dubai ona social visit so it would have been handy to get the parts shipped to him as it can be a pain getting stuff shipped here. Anyway thats down the line...

Cheers
mark

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,926 Posts
I found this picture on the Korean Elan site, showing the other tensioner used on the Elan's.

0K50A15981
This part is only found on the first early model Elan's.

And belt:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ron

Thanks for that, I followed a link and I'm having them check stock. Sorry i couldn't see your link for the belt in your reply can you resend it?

Thanks
Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
I didn't post a link for the belt, but quite puzzled that a Google search doesn't reveal other Kia models using the same belt 0K50A15987.

Looks like FourGreen have this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ron

So when i had an email conversation with Fourgreens they said no they didn't. Then earlier today i went on the website again and searched and bought/ordered one from their Korea warehouse. So they did have one and should be here in dubai in a few days form shipping.

So also today I got the pictures from the garage I asked to send me last week. and I will try and post here.... Elan tensioner_pulley picture 2.jpg ACH]

So actually when i got them tonight i looked closely and the garage have given me the wrong part numbers. The correct one should be 0K9A6-15-981. Really annoyed because I have just ordered the above part. You will notice though Ron that yours has an A at the end and mine doesn't?

So next is the picture of a pulley? I have no idea what pulley it is and subsequently what part number. Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
Hi Ron

So when i had an email conversation with Fourgreens they said no they didn't. Then earlier today i went on the website again and searched and bought/ordered one from their Korea warehouse. So they did have one and should be here in dubai in a few days form shipping.

So also today I got the pictures from the garage I asked to send me last week. and I will try and post here....

So actually when i got them tonight i looked closely and the garage have given me the wrong part numbers. The correct one should be 0K9A6-15-981. Really annoyed because I have just ordered the above part. You will notice though Ron that yours has an A at the end and mine doesn't?

So next is the picture of a pulley? I have no idea what pulley it is and subsequently what part number. Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark
Bunch of assholes at that garage.

The tensioner has a "pulley" attached, and then there's a separate idler "pulley".

I'm not sure of the significance on the "A" suffix, but the photo of the part appears correct, the same as what's on my Elan.

Is the idler condition OK ?

Attached is a picture of the belt on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Ron

Thanks for the info and yes this garage sucks! Trouble is I had my car towed there and don't have a lot of choice. So I tried to find the same belt you have but they must not make them as I scoured the internet and cant find it. However on some russian sites I found alternate numbers so im sure it wont be that difficult to get these. At least now i have ordered a tensioner and will order what I hope is the correct pulley. I will keep you all posted on progress

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
Maybe you'll find my question Foolish, but still I'll let it Go:

Since the engine on the Kia Elan is the First Gen T8D engine, which later was used on the Second Gen Kia Sephia and the First Gen Kia Spectra...

I wonder if the Pulleys and Tensioners could be interchangeable between said models?

Or the Belt arrangement on the Elan is Different? :confused:

Kind Regards.

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
Maybe you'll find my question Foolish, but still I'll let it Go:

Since the engine on the Kia Elan is the First Gen T8D engine, which later was used on the Second Gen Kia Sephia and the First Gen Kia Spectra...

I wonder if the Pulleys and Tensioners could be interchangeable between said models?

Or the Belt arrangement on the Elan is Different? :confused:

Kind Regards.
Not a foolish question at all.

I expected these parts would be common with a number of Kia models, but a part number search suggests otherwise. The tensioner appears to be the same as the Credos, but not sure why you don't find the same on Sephia's of the same era.
I note that many of the Sephia's didn't use the serpentine belt, so that could be why.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
About the Sephia engines, remember that only the Second Gen Sephia came with the 1.8L "T8D" engine, not the first gen Sephia; but also you must note that the T8D engine was optional in other markets, such like the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) where another 1.5L or 1.6L engines were the standard.

~► Kia Sephia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bet that the T8D uses Serpentine Belts, and the other Layouts / Part number you find might belong to the 1.5L and 1.6L engines, which uses older "V" belts.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got it

Hi All

Well after a lot of looking and the wrong part being sent originally, I eventually took delivery of my tensioner for the Elan today. So I got it via Fourgreens and will give it to the garage tomorrow. So thanks for all the help especially you Ron.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts