Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just thought I say hi and once again say how happy I am with my '02 Optima LX-V6 sedan. I've owned many American and Japanese cars over the year. In the late 80's I owned 2 Hyundai Excels and a Sonata. Up until the Optima purchase, my Toyota Camry was my favorite although I did like the Sonata a lot. It just didn't have the overall feel of quality as the Toyota. I retired early but cost was not the issue when I got the Kia. Value for the buck was! :)

With the Optima I realized from the start it wasn't your average Kia or Hyundai product. It had a lot of quality built-in from the ground up. Tight fitting body parts stood out. Smoothness of the V6 and the automatic with manual shift option. I have the updated Kia Radio/Cassette/CD player with changer. Everyone is very impressed with the sound quality and the fact I can play it at low volume while driving a very quiet car.

I like the attractive cloth interior very much and feel the quality is almost on par with the Camry although plastics can scratch easily if not cared for in the Optima. Controls are excellent. Seats are extremely comfortable for my large frame. Recently I ordered the SE Dash board wood grain update kit from the on-line parts firm at kia.autowebaccessories.com . It was the only thing I missed having vs. buying the SE to start with. At the time I purchased my Optima, the dealer only had 4 cylinders in the SE model and I had to have a V6!

I also had a keyless remote door opener and alarm installed since the LX doesn't come standard with these two items.

Since I am retired, I drive around town and on short trips. At the rate I drive, my Optima will have less than 50k for mileage at 10 years old. So, I don't plan to get rid of it and I don't worry about resale values. I do plan in 2 years on purchasing another Kia, perhaps the updated Optima model or the very nice Amanti.

My car has impressed my relatives and friends. When I said I purchased a Kia some people said was I out of my mind to buy junk. Others said Kia only makes little tin boxes. All have changed their minds (or at least to my face :) and I have "converted" two friends -- one purchased an '05 Optima and the other an '05 Sorento. Another is looking into the new Sportage. Neighbors comment how pretty of a car I have. They own 2 Hondas. I let one drive my car. He said my Optima was faster, quieter and "sweeter" than his Accord. I must agree!!!

I do think Kia must continue with their quality commitments and build upon their past mistakes with customers. Give Kia another 5 years and any bad rap that the Kia brand carries in the U.S. will be less heard. Better dealerships and tech training will only help make Kia even a better choice. In my opinion Kia needs to continue to offer its 10 year/100k warranty, great pricing, improve gas mileage -- introduce more efficient engines (hyrids?), quality of build, and dealership network.

Btw, I found an excellent dealership and am on a first name basis with managers and service people. It is a key to have a great dealership. Kia is working to improve their dealer network worldwide. It is a wise investment for long term Kia satisfaction. We have all heard or read of Kia owners who felt they couldn't trust their dealer to fix a problem the first time. I actually have a dealer who will take the blame for a mistake!! If you are in the Rock Hill, SC area I recommend Good Kia to you. Great people there! They know how to treat people.

Thanks for reading this novel :) and hope you all enjoy your Kia like I have.

·
Registered
car
4,204 Posts
Wow that was a long post! :p
Glad to hear you like your Optima. I too have an Optima. It is an 04 and its a LX. I agree with ya they are a great car. Its one of the best cars I have ever owned. (the other best car I own is my 04 Sorento LX). I also had people ask me "why?" when I told them I bought a Kia. Now they dont say why they say wow.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Magentis
23 Posts
Nice to see others enjoying their cars as much as I am!!! Now I'm across the other side of the big pond to you guys but here in the UK my 4 Cyl 2Ltr makes driving around the lake district a breeze and I certainly don't intend on changing mine for a good while. Unless I go for the 6 Cyl version. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Surely many of us here are proud owners of Optima. Come to think of it, must thank those sceptics there who probably have benefited many of those who got a fanstastic deal from the used market.

Perhaps, those who think Kia represents bad quality might be people living in the past.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

Glad to know that at least there are some people out there enjoying their Kia.
My experience and a group of Kia owners will never consider buying another Kia
after our experiences with the brand.I guess, most Kia models are disappointing
in terms of engine reliability and performance. I own a Kia Rio, bought brand new
and just into it's second year, already experiencing FREQUENT engine stalling problems. Lots of under carriage noises. Been to dealer's like I have been to food
outlets. Luckily was able to stop my brother and friends from buying the new Kia
models and settle for other more established Japanese. brands.

Take care and watch that Kia.

Regards

Kia :( nomore

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hope we are not expecting a Jazz from a Rio. Or different people have differing encounters. I own 323, Lancer and Civic before. I decided to make a switch for this range of budget to Optima and now with no regret.

My next car will be Magentis for sure if Kia keeps to its honest pricing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Hattee

Kia can never be compared to Honda. They are not even there yet.
When you buy a car like Kia, you expect only the bare essentials, just point A to
B, period. But when, you cannot even start the car on most mornings and also
parking for more than an hour, and the dealer has no knowledge to solve the
problem, then something is very wrong, Imagine after repeated repairs, in a
span of 3 weeks(8 visits in all), surely, it does not speak very well for the brand.
I am sure I am not alone with this problem.

You enjoy your Kia, lucky guy.

Kianomore.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Shuma
14 Posts
Thing is you could say that if you had a simlar experience with any car manufacturer... my dad gets a company car every 2-3 years, doing appx 80,000 miles per car... his most recent car was a renault laguna estate... he basically had everything replaced except the bodywork... seriously, he had oil pumps replaced, engine replaced, electric replaced...

you can't slate an entire manufacturer by one experience... as with all things you get what you pay for and you still may get a defunct product... thats what warranties are for, as they cannot guarantee all the cars they produce will be 100%, they have quality checking but how do they know after 20k some part may degrade sufficiently to stop working.

i'm happy with my kia, got it second hand and got alot for my money... its an A-B car for me, but its nice to have the little extras such as electric windows etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no regret with my 2L 2004 Optima and happy with it..

If you ask me to get a Korean car in 10 years ago, I would say NO..NO...NO... Now a day, Korean car is a much better car in its class in term of performance over price = better value for money!!!!

What I hope that is KIA could advertise more in international evens to make it as international brand...

·
Registered
51 Posts
You might be correct if you think the logo makes the difference. Between Civic and Optima the choice is clear to me because I own both.

Originally posted by richardlim8@May 11 2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Hattee

Kia can never be compared to Honda. They are not even there yet.
When you buy a car like Kia, you expect only the bare essentials, just point A to
B, period. But when, you cannot even start the car on most mornings and also
parking for more than an hour, and the dealer has no knowledge to solve the
problem, then something is very wrong, Imagine after repeated repairs, in a
span of 3 weeks(8 visits in all), surely, it does not speak very well for the brand.
I am sure I am not alone with this problem.

You enjoy your Kia, lucky guy.

Kianomore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own both also. A Kia couldnt be as good as a Honda in its wildest dreams. I would gladly pay more for a Honda because when it is time to trade its worth more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My brother has an Accord, me a humble Optima. He drove my Opima and I took his Accord. At 150, Accord was clearly noisier. We changed seat. At 180, Accord back off. You right out there are some who buy cars by the logo, you one of them?

Originally posted by mrcobra350@May 31 2005, 09:31 PM
I own both also. A Kia couldnt be as good as a Honda in its wildest dreams. I would gladly pay more for a Honda because when it is time to trade its worth more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did own Honda car before and wish to have one too... but once you need to pay for extra of 35 to 40%, I would put my money for KIA. No regret to own a 2-litre full spec Optima vs a 1.7-litre Honda Civic and keep few thousand dollars in my pocket :57:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've owned a Honda Accord and sold it. I currently own a 98 Camry and 2001 Optima LX 4 cyl. My Honda Accord was by far the worst car that I ever owned. I've even owned GM and Ford vehicles that have lasted longer. I own a Dodge Caravan for hauling equipment. It has 376,400 miles on it with original 3.3L engine and original tranny! Still going! My Honda didn't make it 100K. The tranny didn't make it 70K. Toyota and Honda were the first to make cars that lasted over 100K, but now anyone should expect a new car to make it at least 200K before going to the junkyard. Hyundai/Kia knows there cars can do so and back it with their warranty. Hyundai now offers a 20 year 200K engine/tranny warranty! Honda and Toyota doesn't come close. I will never own another Honda. They aren't what they used to be. My 98 camry and 2001 Optima LX 4 cyl and identical in many ways including the looks, BUT the Optima has much better quality in my opinion. Both cars have about the same mileage, both around 120K. The camry 4 cyl is more quite of an engine, the optima tranny seems to have its quirks, but the camry tranny shifts hard since new. All of the camry shift hard in my opinion. The optima shifts smoother, when its working right. The build quality on the Optima however is far better than the Camry. The camry's seats, though leather, are cheap. The padding is sunk in. The interior door panels have swelled up so that the power window and lock control panels have a sunk gap exposed. The camry has no power antenna like the optima 4 cyl. The stereo in the optima is much nicer. The doors, seats, and controls are much nicer in the optima. Engine layout 100 times better in the optima. Optima much more attractive on the tailight and headlight assemblies. WHen you count all the Optima bonuses and count all the cheap things done to the Toyota to offset a decent engine and transmission, you can plainly see that the Optima is the way to go. People need to stop being so hard-headed and give Kia and Hyundai a try. They are much better than they used to be and Honda and Toyota is NOT what they used to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.