Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost power on interstate 3 times a month ago. Tach to 0, no idiot lites lit, no codes set. The last time it revived itself and drove the last 65 miles without incident. Has been to 2 different garages, neither can replicate it.
My thinking is the computer tattles on everyone except itself.

An 02 Sedona EX. Am tempted to run to the junk yard swap it out for the he** of it just to see what happens.

I've not worked on cars since the 80's when computers came around.

Any caveats I need be aware of before I act like Tim the Toolman Taylor?

Thanks

· Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,966 Posts
Well...
We know it's an 02 Sedona EX.... Probably has a 3.5L V6...I know you are from South Dakota... Need mileage of car....Any recent repairs... etc...
If you do a search (either Google or this forum) for crank sensor (also known as "crank angle sensor") you will find it is a common failure item causing the symptoms you described... The most common failure of this sensor is the insulation on the three wires becomes brittle, falls off, and the wires short either together or to the engine block. The sensor can also fail internally... It can be very intermittent also.

Check these out...
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-forum/71800-2003-sedona-crank-sensor-location.html

2002 Kia Sedona not starting - 0335 code - Crankshaft position sensor - Car Forums - Edmunds

Dave

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ISP is from SD. We are in ND! 85k. Most recent repair was timing belt replacement last January. Did replace shocks and struts about a month ago. We've had nothing but good luck with the van except for this.
My biggest question is why wouldn't the sensor set a code?
Now I know why I quit working on cars.
Sigh.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the gamble....

After talking to another dealer that has done Kia for 10 years(our is only 2 years old) we decided to replace the throttle position sensor.

When I was visiting with him, he described the symptoms to me!

As we all know death and taxes are the only certainty in life, but after talking with him, figure this gamble is worth taking.

Will know in a week or so when Momma hits the highway. If not; the Highlander will be in the driveway shortly and my days with Kia will be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts