Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem the other day to where i started my kia and put it in gear and it died. Would turn over but not start. The next day i came out and thats when i found the power and ecu fuse blown and the battery completely dead. The battery had to be replaced. I replaced the fuses and it started. I put it in gear and it died again. Changed the ecu fuse with a 30 amp and it hasn't blown yet but this morning the battery was dead again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im trying to find the draw. But i have to use the car for work and didn't have the time to do it. Drove it yesterday to work. Went to lunch. When i tried leaving at 6 the battery was dead again. Last night i unhooked the battery. This morning i noticed my dash lights are not working at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im trying to find the draw. But i have to use the car for work and didn't have the time to do it. Drove it yesterday to work. Went to lunch. When i tried leaving at 6 the battery was dead again. Last night i unhooked the battery. This morning i noticed my dash lights are not working at all i also just found out the dash lights come on as long as its on parking lights. But once i put them on headlights the dash lights go out

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
TWO things to check....
The coil packs are driven by the ECM and if/when they short they will blow the IGN or ECM fuses when the ignition is turned on... Try using a turn signal /brake light in place of the fuse and unplug the coil packs one at a time and turn on the ignition if the bulb lights brightly on one but not the other coil pack then you found the problem ... Another common problem with parasitic current draw is the BCM in the Spectras... They become very intermittent and can turn on headlights. turn signals, wipers, door locks, etc.... The BCM usually won't blow fuses it just drains the battery...

I found early on that the wiring harness plugs behind the HVAC panel have EXACTLY the same connector and can/will get plugged in wrong blowing a right rear tail light fuse which ALSO is used as the fuse for the dash/speedometer lights... Check to make sure those plugs are correct and replace the blown fuse...

As you can see I am familiar with the Spectras and their problems...Owned them since 2010...
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the door locks have been a problem since i got the car. Ill unlock the door with the fob then it will lock itself right back. Plus i noticed yesterday that my dash lights only come on if i have just the parking lights on. If i turn on the headlights the dash lights go out

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 Spectra.
I'm on my 4th battery due to parasitic drain but it has nothing to do with the car sitting for too long. I use the car daily.
No blown fuses.

I had the same issue with trying to unlock the door by hand or with fob and it immediately relocking.
In order to get out of the car I would have to roll down the window and grab the handle.

Then the driver's side window would intermittently stop going down when I pressed the button. Fortunately it never refused to come up!

Both of those problems were resolved when my second battery died and I got a replacement (it was under warranty).
When my third battery completely died less than a year later (it happened 2 weeks ago) the only warning that I had was that I had to jumpstart it two days in a row.

I had to buy a new battery this time.

Is there any confirmed issue that's causing the parasitic drain? I don't want to go through this again if I can prevent it.

Oh, I don't think the following has anything to do with the battery drain, but for the last 4 months I have also been having the ORVR issue with the car not wanting to start after putting in gas, 10 days ago the erroneous check engine light for the 0² sensor came on two times, and a week ago the AC compressor noise issue started.

The only work that I've had done before the ORVR issue started was having my blower motor replaced, and 2 months later, I had my purge valve replaced.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Hi Bound4alll...
You have a bad door latch assembly causing the doors to re-lock... There is a switch within the latch that becomes corroded... I'm talking about the actual latch on the side of the door that is mounted with 3 large philips screws...

The BCM (body control module) that is located on the back of the interior fuse panel located just to the left of the steering wheel... They can cause many different problems when they fail... One of them is turning on the headlights in the middle of the night which drains the battery by morning... The BCM is replaceable and is held onto the fuse panel with 3 bolts going through the fuse section into the BCM... Try searching out a local salvage/pull-a-part yard for a replacement... The KIA dealer will want a fortune for it and a used one is usually under $50...

The no start condition usually is caused by a bad purge valve not opening causing a vacuum problem pulling the gas back into the tank...

As far as the AC compressor is concerned...you may have a bad clutch on it...

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Dave. That was very helpful. Especially about the BCM and the door lock.

Even though the lock isn't opening then closing anymore, I AM having to pull in on the door jamb before I can open the driver's door.

Amazing how I managed to hit so many of the "Kia known issues" in such a short time!

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
You said "Amazing how I managed to hit so many of the "Kia known issues" in such a short time!"
The car probably wasn't taken care of by the past owner... You got stuck with the minor items... I/We have had 5 Spectras and after sorting out the minor problems (besides most of them being TOTALED :) ) they have been very dependable and enjoyable cars to drive...I picked up a 2016 Chrysler 200s with 43k miles on it also as salvage and I now remember what replacing parts is like... I love the car BUT worry about it in the future...
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts