Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question about economy, but being in England it'll be the diesel Sorento I'll be looking to buy. Can anybody tell me roughly how many mpg I will really get from a diesel Sorento? The brochure says about 36 combined town & motorway, but I've heard horror stories about it being more like 20 - 25. With the price of fuel over here being so high, that's not good enough. Any experiences?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Sep 7 2004, 02:12 PM
I'm told with the auto 5 speed, 30-35mpg should be achievable without trying too hard.
Many thanks Murphwiz. That's good news. Did this information come from someone who owns a diesel Sorento? On another subject, the car magazines say that the ride is too firm in the Sorento - minor road bumps are felt too much in the car. Is that other people's experience?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I work for a dealer, and thats what the managers tell me they get out of thiers.
The suspension is quite firm, but with a few miles on the clock things wear in quite nicely, the suspension was fine tuned by Porsche, driven a few with 40k miles, and they actually get better with age!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by ricardo@Sep 7 2004, 01:46 PM
Another question about economy, but being in England it'll be the diesel Sorento I'll be looking to buy. Can anybody tell me roughly how many mpg I will really get from a diesel Sorento? The brochure says about 36 combined town & motorway, but I've heard horror stories about it being more like 20 - 25. With the price of fuel over here being so high, that's not good enough. Any experiences?
I have a CRDI with just over 1k miles on the clock. Over a mix of driving conditions it is returning 30-32 mpg that includes some motorway driving at 70-75. Ride is a little bumpy but you get used to it. Correct tyre pressures play an important part from what i can gather from other forums

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for all your help, but sorry to say I've gone for a Nissan X-Trail; I found the basic Sorento just a little too basic. The X-Trail gives me a lot of extra bits & pieces, including an excellent sun-roof, plus some added fuel economy. Perhaps not quite the "road presence", but I'm not fussed about that.
Enjoy your Sorentos!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've just read about a "long term" road test conducted here in South Africa on the 2.5 CRDi. They drove 20000km and used 1929 liters of diesel which equates to 9.65l/100km which equals about 24.5 mpg (if 3.78liters=1 US gallon). The best consumption was 32.6 mpg and the worst was 18.83. The test was conducted over all types of terrain and conditions. Not too bad for a 2 ton truck. :grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my sorento 2.5 diesel for 2 weeks - Love it.

Used it for mostly short jouneys to work. About 8 miles, including some standing traffic in rush hour. Got 29 the first week and 27 last week. Theres no car of this weight and performance that can do that :thumbsup:

ps. the xtrail doesnt come come close :haha:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Ricardo,

I live in South Africa and have a 2.5 diesel. Johannesburg to Durban, average speed 120Km/h Fuel consumtion 9.25 Litres/ 100 Km.
Towing a boat that weighs about 1.5 tons. Mixed terrian, hilly, about 15.3 Literes / 100 Km. Average speed about 90Km/H.
Mine is an Auto with the overdrive, revs at about 2100 rpm at about 110km / h.

That should help you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 5 speed auto which now has 3.5k on the clock has at best given me 27.5mpg, but then it is all shortish journeys from 6 to 20 miles and mostly A class roads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts