Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am currently a Jeep Patriot owner but am looking at buying a 61 plate KIA Ceed 1.6 CRDi 89 2 EcoDynamics 5dr Diesel Station Wagon 2011.
What are the forums views about this particular model
Anything I should look out for when inspecting the vehicle
Would you recommend this car
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Cheers Fugz.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Have a MY2011 Ceed SW "3", excellent car, loads of space, comfortable over long distances, 51 mpg over 25,000 miles. Would not consider the Ecodynamics model for three reasons, the first 89 bhp is not enough for a car of this size, the 115 bhp engine is superb with great pulling power, the second, having had a car (not Kia) fitted with stop start (same as ISG) for several years now I have found its a total waste of time since in the real world it makes no difference to your fuel consumption (even if it worked regularly it would make very little difference). And finally the real world fuel consumption of the 115 bhp model is very little different to the 89 bhp model since you have the work the 89 bhp model much harder.

Regarding what to look for do the normal checks but ensure that the car has been serviced at the correct intervals (preferably by a Kia dealer) and all the receipts are present to prove the work has been done correctly, the 7 year warranty will be lost if it hasn't.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the warranty because the dealer that has the car is not a Kia dealer and he will be servicing it before sale. I have taken the car for a drive and like it but might now consider the higher bhp for the reasons you give.
Cheers.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
You will see a few days ago I posted a. detailed review of my Ecodynamics including costs.
See http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-forum/84659-long-terms-view-cost-our-ecodynamics.html

I also switched from a 2008 Jeep Patriot. A 2.0 CRD Limited.

I assume you had/have a Diesel Jeep as the petrol Patriots are not common and were generally considered poor due to the matching with a CVT gearbox.

The Ceed is a decent car but it ain't a Jeep Patriot which has IMO a better but a bit noisier Diesel engine. If you had a pre 2010 Patriot Diesel then you would have had a 140bhp VW PD engine which was a Euro IV engine so no DPF. If you had a post 2010 then it will have been the quieter 2.2 Merc twin cam 163Bhp engine which was Euro V.

The Jeep has flatter, bigger and more flexible interior and load space and a better stereo (if you had a Ltd with 7 spkrs and 6 CD changer and MP3). The Jeep is also in Ltd trim has a much higher spec than a Ecodynamics or even a Ceed 3. (Leather, Heated Seats, more advanced ESP etc). (Note the Kia back seats do not fold down as flat as the Jeep ones and the front passenger seat does not fold flat forward).

I found the Patriot more reliable with one fault in 82k miles and three years and zero days off the road, While I had 5 faults in 63k and 2.2 years and 9 days off the road with a 60 plate (2011 MY) Ceed.

Ceed servicing is much cheaper and less frequent at 20k rather than 10k for the Jeep Diesel with the VW engine.

We achieved 57 MPG ave which suggest (see above 51Mpg) that in the real world the Ecodynamics is better than the none Ecodynamics diesels. But not the 67MPG quoted by Kia. You should have been getting 40-42 from the Jeep if it is a Diesel. So the Kia will use about 25% less fuel.

I did not find the Ecodynamics underpowered or the "3" I test drove noticeably more powerful as while it has 23% less BHP on paper in the real world torque is much more important and there is only 7.8% difference in torque between the two Kia diesel engines and that is what counts when overtaking and in acceleration through the gears. The quote I like is "While BHP sells cars, torque wins races"

The post 2010 Ecodynamics you are looking at will be in Band B for Road tax, a 3 will be in band C so both a lot less than the Jeep which was in Band G.

Depreciation is less on the Diesel Jeeps.

If brand snobbery is important to you Jeep is a better brand than Kia.

I sold my Kia last week.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
We achieved 57 MPG ave which suggest (see above 51Mpg) that in the real world the Ecodynamics is better than the none Ecodynamics diesels.
Not a good comparison. You were doing double the annual mileage that we do. If we doubled our mileage and did more longer runs I would guess our MPG would increase to 54 or 55, OK not the 57 mpg Spencernj got but not much less.

I did not find the Ecodynamics underpowered or the "3" I test drove noticeably more powerful.
We drove both before buying since the "3" was not in on the day when we went to the dealer. Compared to our 110 bhp Focus it was slow, very slow but the 115 model was in a different league. Drive both and make your own mind up but remember that Spencernj's car was not the SW which is heavier and bigger.

With regards to the OP's question about the seller who is not a Kia dealer servicing the car that is fine providing that he does it exactly to the Kia schedule and uses genuine Kia parts. You will also need to ensure that you get an invoice that lists all the work and parts since Kia will not accept a service book stamp alone, says that in the sservice book.

If you go ahead and buy it it will need to go to a Kia dealer to get the body and paint checked for their warranty conditions. Only Kia dealers can do this check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both for the very informative advice. we will see what happens once i sell mine.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Thanks both for the very informative advice. we will see what happens once i sell mine.
Are you selling it private? Which model and how much do you expect to get.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
I have a '61 plate CRDI ecodynamic SW2. I love the car, but have had some issues with the cruise control, ISG, and the centre of the road sensor. All have been repaired under warranty. The only other issue was the fuel filter it needed replaced after only 10,567 miles. When we first received the car,september last year,mpg was fantastic. We were getting 53-63 on long journeys even up the mountains. After the first attempt to repair ISG and cruise control, the mileage dropped drastically. After fuel filter replaced we were hoping that the mileage would have resumed at the higher level,however, it is hovering at 45 Combined. It is great on motorway, but once into the hilly town area, the average plummets tolow 40's. I don' pull anything with the CEE'D, and the torque and power are great all around. I have not had any other diesel over here to compare, though. Def look at all your filters before accepting from the dealer, both mine had leaves in the filter box, and filters were dirty. Check the alignment as the CEED is known for being very sensitive in regards to the crown of the road, so if the alignment is off at all it will really tell. With all that said......we still love the car. Agree about checking that the service book is stamped, and even get the registration and call kia customer service to see if still covered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts