Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally got to drive our EX V6 AWD at highway speeds on Wednesday on a trip from LA county to Las Vegas. The wife drives it most of the time 80% city and we only average around 14-16 MPG regardless of Eco on or Eco off. I decided to drive to Vegas with ECO on and cruise control but I hadn't read the manual and didn't know how to engage cruise control, so the trip was standard driving with ECO on. MPG was around 25 but as soon as we went up the mountains MPG went down and never recovered after that. Upon arrival after 258.8 miles temp at around 85* with climate on auto at 75* speed average 72 mph we ended at 20.2 MPG, pretty disappointing.

On our return back after reading the manual we drove with cruise control on. I also decided to try ECO off. The temp was between 85* and 99* with climate control on auto at 75*. To our amazement we ended our trip back with an average MPG of 27.4 at an average of 71 Mph and 1/4 tank of gas more than on the drive to Vegas. Why was there such a big difference? Does cruise control make that much of a difference or does ECO do the opposite of what it's supposed to do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first picture is at arrival to Vegas, second picture is arrival home and third one is MPG average home. Trip miles home is a little lower as I had forgotten to reset trip meter.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Is Vegas much higher elevation than LA County? Difficult to get reliable figures driving in mountainous areas. Same driver each way?

CC likely to make fuel consumption worse in mountains. Most agree that ECO doesn't do much.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
tests I've done on my Soul with a without Active ECO and using cruise on the same stretch of interstate type highway (401), I found that with ECO off I got better fuel economy by about nearly 1L/100 km (7.8 vs 8.5). I think its more effective in city driving but in tests I've done on that I don't find much difference, so I just leave it off, doesn't seem to help much in my case but sure notice the driving difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is Vegas much higher elevation than LA County? Difficult to get reliable figures driving in mountainous areas. Same driver each way?

CC likely to make fuel consumption worse in mountains. Most agree that ECO doesn't do much.
Elevation at home is around 400', Las Vegas around 2000'. The drive in between is up down up down, highest point around 4300' and lowest around 900'. The drive back is little better but not enough for a 7.2 MPG difference. The 27.4 MPG did surprise me as the rated HWY MPG is 24 and i was driving between 65 and 85 mph most of the way. Too bad only time we'll be able to use cruise control will be on long trips. We will keep ECO mode off from now on.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
815 Posts
It's probably the elevation. Wikipedia says la county elevation ranges from 0 to 10,000 ft while las vegas is about 2000 ft. Going uphill takes more gas, of course. Also, gas injectors turn off unless gas is needed to maintain speed as in when going downhill. Use less gas keeping in gear than putting car in neutral when going downhill.

When i exit highway and coast on the off ramp i'm using 0 gas.

You may have gotten much better fuel economy if you were going slower.

I'm guessing it was a combination of these things.

Also, i believe the active eco mode would have less effect when going steady, as in a longer highway trip, since you wouldn't be changing gears as muc.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Active ECO mainly controls the transmission shifting and fuel mapping. If you are in 6th gear a steady speed, their isn't much of either of those things going on!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
If you want to get best mileage in the 14's you must use the new instantaneous fuel readout located in the center pod. Yes, I know most say it varies too much- Duh, that's the fuel your engine is using at that exact, and I mean , exact, moment! Owners don't realize that a very, very small amount of extra pressure on the gas pedal will result in immediately greater fuel consumption. The other fuel use display is a sampling over a period of time and thus not accurate for trying to get most out of the vehicle. Another small trick is to anticipate the hills and ramp up before them and keep as constant throttle as you can going up. The instantaneous read out helps here too. Once you learn the game, you can up your mileage quite a few miles per gallon.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
815 Posts
So true. I've been practicing and it looked like i was going to get 720km, 448 miles, but it looks like I'll be getting closer to 700km, 435 miles, on a tank. I'll know in a day or two. I'm typically doing over 90%...maybe even 95%. That makes a huge difference too. Avg mileage is 9.5l/100 km - 25 mpg us or 30mpg imperial gallons.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Going on three weeks with my Sorento SXL. So far I find that when i'm going a lot of city driving for work I get better gas mileage with the ECO on. Downside is the engine is much more sluggish but it has help increase my mileage a tad. But if i'm doing more highway driving I switch the ECO off. This so far my observation with the ECO button.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, I also watch the instantaneous fuel consumption. The meter displays the current average consumption as well, so you see if you're under or over at any particular time.

Most of my highway driving is on fairly flat country, so neither ECO or CC would have much effect. CC is likely to spoil the economy in hilly country as it attempts to maintain a constant speed.

Years ago, I had "Poor Man's Cruise Control" on my Alfa by using the hand throttle. I would set it to 105 km/h on the flat, and the car speed would vary between 95 and 110 km/h due to the slight undulations in the countryside. I didn't do it enough to notice any improvement in fuel consumption, but it does indicate that even in fairly flat country, the CC is doing a bit of work.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX 2.4 GDI
29 Posts
If you want to get best mileage in the 14's you must use the new instantaneous fuel readout located in the center pod. Yes, I know most say it varies too much- Duh, that's the fuel your engine is using at that exact, and I mean , exact, moment! Owners don't realize that a very, very small amount of extra pressure on the gas pedal will result in immediately greater fuel consumption. The other fuel use display is a sampling over a period of time and thus not accurate for trying to get most out of the vehicle. Another small trick is to anticipate the hills and ramp up before them and keep as constant throttle as you can going up. The instantaneous read out helps here too. Once you learn the game, you can up your mileage quite a few miles per gallon.
I disagree that you must use the instantaneous fuel readout to get the best mileage in the 2014's. I did a 400 mile trip last week and achieved 30 mpg with the 4 banger GDI engine without looking at any fuel information in the instrument cluster, and driving at the posted 55 and 70 mph speed limits on the roads I traveled. Half of the trip was at 70 mph. My 2014 Sorento has 1400 miles on it.

IMO, your type of driving (city vs highway) and especially your driving habits have the greatest effect on fuel mileage. Correct tire air pressures also has an effect too! If you are the type that likes to be the first one away from a stop light with a jack rabbit start and then have to brake heavily for the next light, you are going to get crappy mileage. If your out on the slab and routinely driving 10 to 15 mph above the posted limits, your fuel mileage will be reduced.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
Fuel Mileage

Those are all very good points. Even in my 2007 2.4 L Optima sedan, it has been difficult to exceed 30 MPG at highway speeds, even when loaded lightly, with my 5 speed automatic transmission, as it is geared high on the highway, cruising at over 2000 RPM. Even my old 3.3 L V6 Grand Am actually had an overdrive 3 speed that dropped the RPM down considerably in cruise, going smoothly over the mountains and through the deserts on I-40 on the way to LA. I have noticed that on days with a strong head wind, my mileage drops considerably, and on the return trip,with a strong tailwind, increases accordingly.

And on very cold days, the MPG will also suffer. The other thing I have noticed is the cruise control suddenly surging into a downshift on hills, which might be harder on the mileage. Some here have remarked they do better by moving the transmission gearshift over to self select on the right to hold that higher gear, then remembering to return it when leaving the interstate or slowing down in traffic. At least you don't have that annoying shifting going on while heading up and down hills while in cruise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts