Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,
I have a 2003 Kia Rio 5 speed 1.6 lts, I replaced two exh. valves, head gasket, timing belt. It was running fine after repair but code 1166 (Lambda) and 506 (idle two high) got on after repairs, I took idle sensor, throttle body and clean them, start the engine and let it run for awhile on idle and engine suddenly die. I cannot communicate with ECU with the scanner, I notice the MIL light is gone even when you just open the ignition switch you should see the engine light on but now is gone, I went to the wrecker and got same ECU, numbers matching, STILL won't start, and engine light is not present with the replacement ECU.
I dont have power going to fuel pump, fuses are ok, relays ok. I used the diagnostic port to jump fuel pump and it works.
I don't know what to do now. I don't think two ECU are bad.
Any suggestions.
Anybody have replaced the ECU?
Does it need reprogramming?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
The first thing I would do is look for the ECU/ECM's ground connection. Usually a black wire bolted to the firewall or floor pan. ECU/ECMs fail very seldom. The problem usually is in wiring harness connectors or grounds. The car would have the VIN from the donor car though.
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Which fuses did you check? 10 amp ecu and 10 amp start under the dash, and the 25 amp main and 15 amp ig coil fuses in the engine compartment fuse box? How did you check the relays? when you did the jumper on the obd II conector you bypass the fuel pump relay contacts. Check the fuses, the fuel pump relay and the main relay contacts and there coils again and your connections real good. And like dave says the ground's also. Good luck with it keep us posted. Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.