Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions regarding the ECM on my 07 Kio Rio

1. When I look at data using my ELM327 Bluetooth adapter using 2 different smart phones, I only see a few readings- tach, temp,and a few more.
Theres no 02 sensor data and many more.
When I connect to my 2005 Yukin, I see many more.
Is that indicating a problem with the ECM or is that just they way it works
2. Can I buy a ODBii cable and upgrade the firmware on the ECM myself?

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
ELM 327 Bluetooth adapters are all different. They are also meant more for data logging, and removing trouble codes than diagnostic work. They also rely on 3rd party softwear, so there are many variables.

The $17 ones from China are not going to pick much up. You also need to find out about softwear issues with the developer concerning your car, or your phone or tablet.

Your ECU is working fine, or your car would not be. The ELM 327 can be used for some diagnostic work, but it has a lag in it's retrieve, interperate, display. That is why the after the fact data logging can come in handy.

PS DO NOT TRY TO REPROGRAM YOUR ECU. So far there are no easy user interfaces, and an ECU uses some like 10 KB total data all in number streams based on equasions with expected outcomes. No labels, charts, maps, directions, etc. Start messing about without tons of knowledge on Korean car ECU programing and you suddenly have a lawn ornament.

Hope all this helps. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts