Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rio JB 4GEE 1.4 A/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have been digging around here for a while now for various things but this one has me at a loss, so I have decided to just try and see if anyone has any suggestions.
2011 JB 4GEE 1.4 auto (twin radiator fan model)
Cooling fans do not power on even at 100c.
Tried bypassing the low speed resistor.
A/C fan function works like it should (only time the fans come on).
Bridging the relay powers on the fans but a new relay did not fix the issue.
It has a new coolant temp sensor, high flow thermostat and coolant (not that those last 2 matter with this).

Using my scan tool monitoring the coolant temp, low and high speed fan triggers and at 100c the ecm had not sent the trigger to power the low or high speed fans, so this is why I am leaning towards an ecm issue despite there are no dtc's.

Can anyone tell me the temps at which the low and high speeds are triggered?

Thanks in advance for any help, it much appreciated as it's summer in Australia atm :LOL:

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,373 Posts
Before hanging on any more parts, you should test with a multimeter at the cooling fan relay first, and then do continuity testing back to the ECM if necessary. Wiring diagrams for vehicles in your country are not typically available to those of us who live in North America, so you would need to find a resource who has the cooling system diagram, in order to do the electrical testing.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,903 Posts
Because you can get the fans to operate if you bridge the relays and your scanner "sees" the ECM indicating that the fan commands were outputted I would suggest looking at the actual outputs of the ECM that would go to the fan relays... (internal ECM transistors may have failed)... Do you have voltage on ECM output and on the relay coils when the ECM command is present (showing ON on your scanner)... If you don't have a voltage output at the ECM output then the ECM may be at fault... If you DO have a voltage at the ECM output then you need to look at the wiring from the ECM to the relay coil(s)...

Your commanding the ECM outputs should bypass any input errors (coolant temperature sense, A/C fans power on,etc) and there should be voltage coming out of the ECM turning on the fan relays... BTW you have checked ALL fuses both in the cab and under the hood haven't you? Fuses may be marked for another circuit but may be supplying current to the BCM feeding the transistors that supply the current to the fan coils...

You KNOW you have voltage and current output from the relay so working backwards towards the ECM there is relay coil connections (in the fuse panel on the under side),wiring, connectors, and the ECM connector... The you need to check for actual output voltage from the ECM's internal fan control transistors... You are going to loose that voltage somewhere alon the path...
Dave

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rio JB 4GEE 1.4 A/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas guys. I plan on digging into the ecm this weekend, hopefully it is not filled with resin or sealed in a permanent fashion.
This is an ecm diagram I found from a workshop manual someone posted on here (what a god send as I couldn't find one anywhere else without paying for it) so I will play around with that and see how it goes.

All the cab fuses are fine, i even tried reseating them one by one in case it was a dirty contact issue.
I was hoping I could get away with having the fans run with the car on for now with the relay socket bridged but after a few minutes the "sensor" fuse under the hood blew, so I guess it doesn't like that idea.

Thanks again (y)

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,373 Posts

I was hoping I could get away with having the fans run with the car on for now with the relay socket bridged but after a few minutes the "sensor" fuse under the hood blew, so I guess it doesn't like that idea. ...
If the relay socket was jumped (bridged) correctly, there should be no reason for a fuse to blow, because the circuit that powers the fan would be designed to be capable of running it indefinitely with no overloading. So that leads me to believe that you might be connecting the power of the relay control side to the fan power slot, because that circuit would not be designed to be beefy enough to send power to a fan, and would have a lower amp fuse protecting it.

Again, I don't know what your vehicle's electrical layout looks like, but in North America relays typically use relay pin #30 to power the utility (fan) and pin #87 is the corresponding fan power source coming from a fuse. Pins #85 and #86 are the power and ground of the control side of the relay. But of course your Au vehicle's relays might very well be different than what I just described.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2010 (KIA Rio II, 1.4 16V 97CV)
22 Posts
sorry for my english because i'm french speaking
I have the same car and a similar problem with the fan which turn on only with High speed without path into Low speed. I tested all relays, connections, visible all ok.
I thought of the fan resistor that I could not find its place.
below are the shemas that could help you. So with my means when the car is brand new I found the fan release temperature;
V1 at 94 ° C
V2 at 103 ° C
pls see the link: Problem; fan with low speed OFF
thx
Nasro

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts