Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 & 13 take same 15" wheel - can be obtained new OEM on eBay. Total with shipping $102, went to a "used tire" shop and got one for $25 which included mounting and balancing. Found a jack and handle at a yard sale for $2 - grand total of $129. Spare tire fits in the well with room to spare!

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
I think a 15" wheel from a Miata will fit. They are plentifully Used, it will cost a lot less.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
KIA is crazy not to fit a spare; it would cost them hardly anything and gain customer loyalty. Spare is standard in Australia - includes alloy if fitted to car.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
KIA is crazy not to fit a spare; it would cost them hardly anything and gain customer loyalty. Spare is standard in Australia - includes alloy if fitted to car.
It's not Kia Motors, its the way the individual countries request their vehicles to be built for there market. That's the reason vehicles are not equipped the same the world over.
Not to do with the spare, but there is also different regulations in different countries too that have to be considered.

You will pay for that full size spare and rim in the base price for your country.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts

It's not Kia Motors, its the way the individual countries request their vehicles to be built for there market. That's the reason vehicles are not equipped the same the world over. You will pay for that full size spare and rim in the base price for your country.
Not to do with the spare, but there is also different regulations in different countries too that have to be considered.
Our rules don't specify that the car must have a spare. Most come with at least a steel spare and full-sized tyre. Retail would be about $200 for a medium-sized wheel & tyre plus jack etc, so I'm guessing the manufacturer could do it for a lot less. Still can't believe that some manufacturers supply a temporary spare, or that the regulations allow such obviously unsafe kit on a car.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Our rules don't specify that the car must have a spare. Most come with at least a steel spare and full-sized tyre. Retail would be about $200 for a medium-sized wheel & tyre plus jack etc, so I'm guessing the manufacturer could do it for a lot less. Still can't believe that some manufacturers supply a temporary spare, or that the regulations allow such obviously unsafe kit on a car.
didn't say the regulations had anything to do with your spare, I was referring to such things for example here in Canada all our vehicles have to have DRL's, km gauges and certain impact on bumpers.

I don't like the idea without a spare tire (I have a compact spare which comes standard in my model, same model in the US gets an inflator kit) but many manufacturers of vehicles sold in North America now come with only the inflator/seal kit not just Kia, but again this is the stated requirements of the importer which are Kia Motors US, Kia Canada and same in Austrailia - they are the ones controlling this not Kia Motors in Korea, they will outfit them anyway the importer wants for it's particular market.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX
34 Posts
The wheel is a common size with a common lug pattern. The cheapest option is a junk yard where you can get the rim, rubber, jack, and tools for $50 (US) or less. If you look back there are a few threads on this topic that will have the exact sizes.

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
2012 & 13 take same 15" wheel - can be obtained new OEM on eBay. Total with shipping $102, went to a "used tire" shop and got one for $25 which included mounting and balancing. Found a jack and handle at a yard sale for $2 - grand total of $129. Spare tire fits in the well with room to spare!
made a thread about this like last month :p http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-rio/82682-full-size-emergency-spare-tire-fits.html

Damn yall going have it super easy I've done yalls homework! yall welcome! :p
SO when I bought my Kia Rio5 2013 I Decided to buy my car without the "doughnut" emergency spare tire cuz it sucks, yeah ok Im only going to drive under 50mph and for only like 50 miles like a retard on the freeway trying to be on my way to pick up this hot horny wet chick for me.. yeah 'F' that! and why pay over $200 for that emergency spare tire kit?:
OEM 2012 2013 Kia Rio & Rio5 Factory 15" Spare Tire Kit # 09100 1W999 and UHK15 12580. Complete Kit includes Spare Tire, Steel Wheel, Jack, Lug Wrench, Bar Tool, Tire Pressure Label, and Tool Cases!

when for under $200 and you can get the real full size spare and it fits perfect?!

OEM wheel $100 Shipped!!!!! yes it fits my 2013 Kia Rio5, was delivered in 3 workin days:

Kia Rio 2012 15" Black Steel Wheel 1 | eBay

I got tire from tire shop cheap , installed on wheel and balanced for under $50

I got a car jack that fits inside of the wheel at junk yard for $8 make sure you measure it so it will fit should be under 15".

I also bought a 14" Folding Lug cross Wrench for $13 is easier using cross then the "L" lug wrench. ya Im spoiled like that:

Torin Jacks 14-Inch Folding Lug Wrench - Walmart.com

I didnt have to buy airpump since My Rio5 came with that bulky airpump that also fits in wheel with all this other stuff and yes it is flushed, no bump when you put down liner!.
just in case yours didnt came with it. walmart sells Airpump with sealer kit for $20:

Slime Smart Spair Emergency Tire Repair, Flat Tire Repair Kit, 12 Volt Tire Inflator with Gauge, Emergency Tire Repair Kit, Auto Tire Repair Kit

so WTF get your real full size spare tire so you dont get stranded and some douchbag takes your hottie cuz you cant make it on time!
**caution use condoms on said hottie and I tried different non-OEM wheels & they will block the brakes! make sure you get the OEM wheel, I got it from that ebay link above and it fits perfect yes I tested it with brakes and drove with it to make sure :D damn I just did yalls homework!!

Full SIZE spare tire :)

Full spare fit perfect

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Full spare tire with lots of stuff in it, car jack, lug wrench, airpump, gloves, oil funnel even got room for speaker wire :p

all that and it is perfectly flushed, not hump at all with liner down :D

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
If that was directed @ me most likely you have no clue. My statement/ question was a valid 1, I can't use a 15" to replace a 17".

Rick

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Yeah Rick, he aimed it strait at you. But I don't see why.

IIRC, the SX has larger front rotors and may necessitate a larger wheel like 17". I also seem to recall someone here said the 15" wheel fit on the SX but still am not sure if they test fitted the front or rear.

I think the 15" and 17" tires are identical overall outside diameter, just different sidewall heights, obviously.

I'd like someone here to say the 15" spare definitely fits over the front SX caliper and rotor setup.

I'd do a search, but this isn't really my thread.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I have an sx (17 inch tire) and my winter tire setup are on 15 inch rims. It may differ from company to company if the rim fits... Ibought mine of of tirerack. I will find the invoice and tell you which ones they are if you are interested.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Here is the link... Yes i searched using an lx, but they do fit. Tirerack doesnt have wheels for thensx for some reason. I bought thes with stated blizzak size.

MSW Type 14 Silver Painted

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Rick, you may want to check some of the threads here that have been posted before. I remember there is one user who offers the pack to a better price. You just have to check a bit more.

As far as I know cobra259 is the user. You might want to send him a pm.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
OEM replacement spare yall

The comment was not intended for Rick.

I apologize for the ricochet it was not intended for him.

Rick stated a very polite and valid point concerning the earlier post.

I was just frustrated in seeing that lame post again yall.

I have the 15 inch KIA EX aluminum rims, but I purchased the OEM space saver kit on Ebay because it fit perfectly and contained all the tools and a carry bag, I put the pump and sealer kit in the front glove box and still had plenty of room for other items.

Going to the junkyard and piecing together random items to save a couple of bucks when a OEM kit is available is just not an option for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts