Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage (wife's)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's Sportage is a '13, purchased in August (3,200 miles), and 2 months ago it already started showing signs of UV damage and drying out. Most of the lower plastic molding, as well as the rubber gaskets around the windows have gradually become more and more faded. I've been detailing cars on the side for 12 years, and I've never seen this happen on a car anywhere near this young. Generally this kind of damage sets in at 10+ years, NOT 3-4 months. I should also note that none of the molding was ever waxed or treated with anything. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,886 Posts
No.....................

·
Registered
'12 Sportage SX AWD
37 Posts
Nope... But as a non detailer I find that you as a detailer didn’t protect it when you first got the vehicle... I at least use turtle wax ice on it to protect it...

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
I've used nothing other than a damp chamois and/or microfibre cloth and can honestly say I haven't noticed any real change - well nothing that alarms me.
And that's through the last 2 of our high UV rating summers. Usually put up an internal windscreen sun shade, but that's about all. Can is always parked in the open for 8-12 hours per day at work.

Mind you, I could be taking all this back when I finally get around to giving it a good clean - hasn't been done for ages!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've no idea if Hyundai/Kia plastics/coatings are prone to UV damage; others say no, and local dealerships leave their cars in the sun. Can you post pictures?

UV damage is very common on cars 10+ years old because plastics and coatings are highly unstable in UV light; in the 1990's, stabilizing additives weren't common. Now they integrate chemicals like benzophonones to absorb the light as heat. Since they're now common in everything from children's toys to soap, it's highly unlikely that Kia left it out.

There are products to help. Armor All is a favourite of the DIY detailers. I don't know what professionals would use (UV-stabilized clearcoat?). Personally, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, and I'd recommend it, but they won't say what it's made from.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I have noticed a little on the plastic body moldings here and there. I will snap a picture when I can. I too am a little irritated that it started to fade so quickly.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage (wife's)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've no idea if Hyundai/Kia plastics/coatings are prone to UV damage; others say no, and local dealerships leave their cars in the sun. Can you post pictures?
I'll take and post a few the next time the car is clean.

I took it to the dealership this past weekend, and the service writer that saw it acknowledged that the molding looked far too faded for its age. He said he would look into if the materials were changed on the 2013's, and also speak to the regional rep about it. I anticipate hearing back early next week, but I wanted to get a consensus here if this was a widespread issue.

There are products to help. Armor All is a favourite of the DIY detailers. I don't know what professionals would use (UV-stabilized clearcoat?). Personally, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, and I'd recommend it, but they won't say what it's made from.
Like I said, I've been detailing for some time, and I'm familiar with the band-aids. I've used 303 Aerospace, Black WOW, and a whole host of other products in the past. My point was that this shouldn't being taking place on a practically brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD Premium Pkg, 2001 Ford F150
9 Posts
I think I read in the users manual to use a light coat "petroleum jelly" on trim especially in cold climates. I think it was the section where they talk about washing and waxing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts