Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
14 Posts
Thanks for this -I have been watching them on ebay and saw the price drop as well.

Do you know if there is any real difference between the chrome and black ones?

Also, were they direct plug and play as advertised, or did you need to modify for DRL?
I am not sure what switchback LED means either but will research and work it out - thanks heaps for the video, you have convinced me to buy some..... :)

Were there any problems installing them?..... or straight forward?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
yey.. a new classmate.. i'm optimus you're megatron lol

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, shout out to Kobi. You are the king of Sorento Lighting.

Here is the scoop on Eagle Eyes...It all depends on what you are looking for:

Out of the box, it is plug and play. You unplug your OEM headlight unit and remove them (which takes a little effort on the first try) place the new ones in that match up perfectly and plug the original harness in. Here is what you get. The Halos and LED strip lights up with the parking lights and headlights plug and play. You can light the Halos and LEDs just tuning the parking lights on without the headlights but you will have to have the parking lights and tail lights on to make that work. It still looks great and If that is what you are looking for.... you're done. If you want DRLs then it is a little more involved.

The LED strips are wired internally to the parking lights in the housing so that is not an option to run as DRLs. The Halos are separate and have a ballast unit (included) with wiring outside of the housing so that is your key for DRLs. I have my Halos setup to be on any time the engine is running (or 2 clicks of the ignition button). I did this via power at jumper fuse out of the fuse box so I do not splice any of the original factory wiring. With my setup, I can put the original lights back in and there will be no evidence that anything was changed if I have a warranty issue.

I replaced the low beam bulbs that came with the headlights with 8000k bulbs because the ones that come with the lights are a serious downgrade from the original headlights. They do sell this setup with HID lights but I was hesitant to take the risk with the problems I have seen with others.

I also took out the stock turn signal bulbs and replaced them with LED switchback bulbs (size 1157) which gives you LED white color for a parking light instead of yellow but will illuminate yellow when the turn signal or flashers are on. This requires adding a load resistor so that the LED bulbs don't hyper flash (the fast flashing you see when someone has one of their bulbs out). Because LEDs draw less current, the system thinks a bulb may be out until you add the load resistor if you add LEDs.

IMPORTANT WIRE INFO:
The instructions that come with the headlight units are worthless. This wire info is GOLD:

Yellow wire: turn signal
Red wire: Halos
Solid Green wire: parking lights
Green stripe: LEDs

MOST IMPORTANTLY: I am not an electronic nerd or super geek figuring all of this out. It is excellent forums like this that share info and enable people like me to learn and move forward with cool upgrades like this. Pass the word on and share your experience!!!!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento AWD , 2013 RDX
16 Posts
I would be all over these but from what I understand the projectors in these are sup par and give the squirrel finder effect. I am running HID in my stock lights and do not want to go back....lol

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no problems with Squirrel finders. I will post photos soon. You don't want to go backward from HID for sure. There are companies that sell the HID kits with the Eagle Eyes as a package. There are zero reviews on it. I will eventually go HID.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
my friend probably got a bad one he had some s.f. lol.. yeah so we just retroed his.. yes pic pls.. 1 with 25 ft from wall, and road shot without cut-off.. i want to show it to him too...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hey gumby..(or anybody interested) do you want to pud led on that headlight? i am re-doing my retrofit soon and putting 4 lexus rx350 projectors and more brighter led halos v4 (i know insane) but i want somebody to take over my old leds, id rather have somebody that likes them and appreciates them than going to waste.. i have two.. here's pic 5000k and 7000k

if you want them let me know or pm me, i can replace your ccfls.. for free.. (just send me your headlights) the led halos has no ballast.. and ccfls are dim when its cold..
dont worry about brightness they are bright...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the offer Kobi. I put so much into the setup I have now that I am going to run with it as is for now. I am going to put an HID low beam system in as I am still not happy with Halogen bulbs (with both original and aftermarket headlights). My previous car was a Lexus RX330 and the auto leveling HID headlights were hard to beat.

I am having problems finding a wall on level ground with no lighting at night so I can get some shots of my headlights as well as make sure they are leveled and aimed properly. I'm going to have to drive around a bit and find something.

Are there instructions for aiming lights for the Sorento? Certain feet away from a wall and the projector cutoff should be at a certain height? I know it's probably posted somewhere but I searched and can not find it. Any help appreciated.

Also, the H11 lowbeam Silverstar bulbs I bought for my OEM headlights. Can they by used in my aftermarket headlights since the high beam is H11? Can an H11 bulb be used both in a high beam socket and a low beam socket or are they made specific?

Man, I've got a lot of questions tonight.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
ok.. so i am re-doing my headlights thats why... i will be having the lexus rx-350 projectors (x4) and brighter halos than what i have now..
the lenses are getting polished right now in the U.S. so below is the stock

here is when it is polished..

regarding the bulbs yes.. use them.. no problem at all.. i thought they were h7 low and h1 high beam on the aftermarket headlights.. anyway yup they are good.. brighter..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Aiming headlights

here is an image from hid planet...

instructions from gathered knowledge through hid planet..

TO AIM PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:

1. Align your car dead center in your driveway or any flat leveled ground, the front and back of your car need to be perfectly aligned in the center, just put imaginary line if you are at a wall (like imagine your garage door)

2. drive your sorento up to the garage door as close as you can get w/o hitting the door..dead center in the middle of the garage door / driveway.

3. place a piece of painters tape where the headlight beams hit the garage door or the wall.. This should only be small dot of light or where the cut-off step is

4. Pull back back at about 25 feet. Your Projector lens should be 25 feet away from the garage door

5. With tape Place a vert. line that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. Use a yardstick or a straight edge t make it perpendicular to the driveway. This is important for aiming your lights right to left....this is just as important as up and down because if your lights are aimed to far left you will still be shining oncoming traffic in the eyes and if they are aimed too far right your not getting the most out of your light.

6. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. They should both be the same height off the driveway.

7. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that is 2.1" lower than the tape you placed on the garage in instruction #6. This line should be parallel with the line in #6...just 2.1" lower.

8. Cover up the passenger side headlight with a thick towel.

9. Turn on your lights

10. Drivers Side UP/Down: Bring the lower step of the cutoff to or below the tape line that is 2.1" lower than your headlights...Dot Spec is 2.1" to 2.5" drop over 25'

11. Drivers Side Right / Left: The Vertical line on the drivers side of the garage should intersect the middle of the slant on the cutoff. Move the beam pattern until this is the case.

Moving the projectors from right to left may effect the height of the beam pattern. If this is the case..just go back and fine tune.

12. Cover the Drivers side headlight with a thick towel.

13. Repeat the UP/Down Left/Right procedure that you did on the drivers side with the passenger side. The vertical line on the passenger side of the garage is to be used for instersecting the slant in the cutoff on the passenger side headlight beam.

in short on level ground; measure your headlight (from mid of projector to the ground) as your basis (ex. 46 inches)

back up 25 ft.. at the wall then the light reflected by the cut-off line must be 2.1-2.5 inch below your measurement. (ex 43.5 inches by then from 46 inches you measured)

when you are driving following another car at 25 ft, you're cut-off must be at their plate no's level higher is glaring lower you wont see anything at higher speeds

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
576 Posts
The polished output is so over the top! I want one definitely! Well, not now but when summer comes lol ;)

Is it better buying the eagle eyes headlight then going HID route, or just go HID route then slowly modify your headlights?

Cost-wise and efficiency-wise?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
if you want to do a true retrofit buy your components slowly... patience...
1.replica headlight
2.projectors you like
3.hid components (bulb, ballasts, relay etc), halo drl/eyeline
expensive but worth it.. thats why buy and collect slowly
true hid projectors are very efficient and useful.. esp. driving on dark roads...
low beam

high beam

or buy the instant headlight

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
or you can wait for my second one to be done and my old one is yours lol
the fxr are not bad..

from afar

4 projectors on low beam

·
Registered
2013 Sorento AWD , 2013 RDX
16 Posts
Kobi I drool over your lights every time is see them in a pic. Definitely a work of art.

I would love to see the OP shot at night against a wall. I like these lights as well but If the projectors have squirrel finders it is no go for me

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Kobi I drool over your lights every time is see them in a pic. Definitely a work of art.

I would love to see the OP shot at night against a wall. I like these lights as well but If the projectors have squirrel finders it is no go for me
well it depends, usually halogen projectors that are not oem or even oem do have squirrel finders if putting hids on, our stock doesnt have any thank goodness.. sometimes bulb positioning and seating is involved.. you have to fiddle around sometimes.. esp. if beam pattern is off..
whats causing the Squirrel finder is a small pice of metal extended on the halogen projector's cut-off shield inside the projector it is usually bent, or taken out to have a clean cut-off.. (PM SENT)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
14 Posts
Firstly, I have a couple of thanks to issue:

Thanks to Kobi for being an inspiration in lighting - love your work!!
Thanks to Gumbyr1 for buying this product and letting us know how good it is.... it was nice to see it before I outlayed the cash + $160 shipping to Australia.

I purchased mine and was a little scared to tackle the install, turned out to be a very easy job in my 2011 Sorento (yes, there is a 3rd screw behind LOL). I have taken a couple of pics this morning - 1 in overcast weather outside and the other half in the garage half out - I have not changed anything as yet, installed them last night and plugged them straight in - I do find it weird how the indicator is now on the inside - oh well, we have the mirror side markers anyway....

I will look into changing the globes over the weekend....and will certainly re-read your wiring instructions for DRL's..... MIGHT tackle this.... might ask someone else to as well - LOL

Thanks everyone - hope you like it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts