145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Sedona E-85 compatible?
Specifically the 2006 model year.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
My 2011 is NOT rated for E-85 fuel. I wouldn't chance using it because it can royally screw up your fuel system and engine not to mention your warranty would be toast. I had a 2006 Impala that was E-85 capable and it wasn't worth using, it lost 20% in fuel economy with E-85 vs. regular 87 octane gas.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure. Mine handles E-85 no problem, It's when I get to E-135 the problems begin.;)

BTW... what the heck is E-85.... and EDIT the thread title to reflect what the heck you are talking about.

Sorry, but I ASSumed everyone has heard of E-85.
It is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline and it is 105 octane.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2011 is NOT rated for E-85 fuel. I wouldn't chance using it because it can royally screw up your fuel system and engine not to mention your warranty would be toast. I had a 2006 Impala that was E-85 capable and it wasn't worth using, it lost 20% in fuel economy with E-85 vs. regular 87 octane gas.
I am aware of the drop in MPG when using it, I used to use it in my '89 Camry all the time even though it was not rated for it.
Car ran fine, went from 35mpg down to high 20's.
I dont have a warranty on the van, so I dont care about that.
I did not think it was compatible but I wanted to know for sure as it is readily available around here and $1.00 per gal cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Its in the owners manual, on one the first few pages. Look in the index for "Fuel Requirements".

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its in the owners manual, on one the first few pages. Look in the index for "Fuel Requirements".
I dont have the owners manual, if I did I would not have asked.
I have the computer version of the 2007 model year Entourage, but not the 2006 Sedona.
The 2007 Entourage owners manual says to use fuel with a octane rating of 91 or higher, but it does not say anything about not using E-85.
I realize that they are the exact same van but I did not know if the fuel requirements had changed from the first model year of the second generation of the van to the second model year of the second generation of the van.
So therefore I thought I would ask just to rule it out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't assume everyone has heard what E-85 is.

BTW Nice little trick spelling "assumed" the way you did. Nice way to get pass the profanity filters.

Q: Is it such a big deal to edit the thread title to reflect what the topic is about?

Just to be clear, I was NOT calling you a ass, I was saying that I am a ass for assuming everyone knew what E-85 was.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just to be clear, I was NOT calling you a ass, I was saying that I am a ass for assuming everyone knew what E-85 was.
Ah, my bad.

On E-85 (fuel) .... I'm trying to find places that have 100% gas....

$1.00 off for the reduction in fuel mileage hit you mentioned above doesn't sound like good math even if the car could handle it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Good luck in your search, the EPA has mandated the use of 10% ethanol to reduce emissions.
Switching to 15% is in court right now.
Just about the only place you will find 100% gasoline is at a marina.
My wife's Ford Escape says on the gas cap to not use anything more than E10...so will the Federal Government pay for any damage to that vehicle that occurs from fuel that is specifically stated by the manufacturer not to use?

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife's Ford Escape says on the gas cap to not use anything more than E10...so will the Federal Government pay for any damage to that vehicle that occurs from fuel that is specifically stated by the manufacturer not to use?
RE: Will the Federal Government pay for any damage to that vehicle that occurs from fuel that is specifically stated by the manufacturer not to use?

I'd bet their position will be:

Just buy a new car, tough luck eat the repair costs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All modern cars can handle upto E-20, the problem is with older cars and small engines, like lawn mowers, snowblowers etc.
Carburetors do not handle ethanol very well.
The Gov. would mandate separate E-15 fuel pumps so that people with cars rated for it can buy it, those who cant wont.
The oil companies are saying to much cost for them to install new separate pumps labeled different etc.
Small engine companies and classic car groups are saying it is bad for their engines and that people are stupid and will use the wrong fuel and they dont want to be held liable.

Ever use dry gas? It is almost pure alcohol.
So if you add that to your E-10 gas, you are now way more than 10% ethanol.
Alcohol sticks to water, it is then carried to the engine to be burned.
Ethanol in your gas already, dry gas is not needed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
All modern cars can handle upto E-20, the problem is with older cars and small engines, like lawn mowers, snowblowers etc.
Carburetors do not handle ethanol very well.
The Gov. would mandate separate E-15 fuel pumps so that people with cars rated for it can buy it, those who cant wont.
The oil companies are saying to much cost for them to install new separate pumps labeled different etc.
Small engine companies and classic car groups are saying it is bad for their engines and that people are stupid and will use the wrong fuel and they dont want to be held liable.

Ever use dry gas? It is almost pure alcohol.
So if you add that to your E-10 gas, you are now way more than 10% ethanol.
Alcohol sticks to water, it is then carried to the engine to be burned.
Ethanol in your gas already, dry gas is not needed.
You mention small engines, older cars.

I know your focus is if your 06 Sedona can run Ethanol blends but don't marginalize how big a issue this really is.

Your "late model auto" may be capable of running a ethanol blend but there are millions upon millions of gas powered items that can't.

Ask ANY small engine repair shop how they've seen the numbers of repairs needed increase since they started adding ethanol to fuel. Back in the day you could store a gas powered device over the season, add some fresh fuel and it would fire up. Now if you store it- the carb needs to be replaced. If you run it everyday- it will last longer, but not as long as a carb that is having straight gasoline run thru it.
(Don't talk about it's the customers fault for not draining the fuel- (Good advice for several different reasons) Point is ethanol should not be used in small engines.)

Right now I've got the below that have been damaged by that ethanol el-crap-ola stuff.

(2) Chainsaws (One that cost about $1,400) = $2,000
(2-3) lawnmowers = $2,100
(1) Year or two old pressure washer = $800
(2-3) Weedeaters. = $600

Got to run- have to track down a carburetor for the $1,400 chainsaw.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you that ethanol is bad for small engines, I never said it was fine.
I have a Snapper walk behind lawn mower, I replaced the crappy original B&S engine engine with a Honda OHV about 10 yrs ago (mower is 20yrs old).
About 6 yrs ago I sent my then teenage son to the gas station to buy lawnmower gas, I told him he could keep the change, he bought E-85, I put it in the lawnmower unknowingly.
The mower ran fine but lacked power, I drained the tank and ran it dry, put in fresh gas and it has been hard to start from cold ever since.
I usually prime it with WD-40.
I always burn all of the gas out of everything when I put it up for storage and I always treat the fuel in the gas can and only buy 2 gal at a time.
There is ethanol fuel treatment that you can buy, it is supposed to counteract the effects of the ethanol in the carb.
"Mechanic in a bottle" I believe it is called.

My cheap 15yr old Poulen used to cut firewood for my brother-in-laws farm every year still runs fine.
I cant imagine spending $1400 on a chainsaw, you must be a lumberjack or tree trimmer?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
Why would the Entourage require 91 octane or higher? My manual says 87 octane or higher. It is the EXACT same engine. In fact, I believe Sedonas and Entourages are in the same VIN sequence, they are so similar.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
I agree with you that ethanol is bad for small engines, I never said it was fine.
I have a Snapper walk behind lawn mower, I replaced the crappy original B&S engine engine with a Honda OHV about 10 yrs ago (mower is 20yrs old).
I don't share your opinion of 'crappy' Briggs & Stratton engines. I just retired a 30 year old mower because all the ancillaries had worn out (Base and suspension shot; cutter plate cracked, pull-start shot, carbie clogged); B&S engine itself still had good compression. It's 'mate' is 25 years old and still going strong. Regular oil changes and air filter maintenance will keep them going for ages. Anyone had experience with Chinese B&S copies?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts