Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Though an iPad or another less expensive tablet may be a solution for older kids, the OP is looking for entertainment for a "two year old." That more or less limits the choices to portable DVD players such as those recommended by Kungfoo.

Another point to keep in mind is screen size. Since these devices are measured in terms of diagonal dimensions, a 9x6 screen is almost twice the size of a 7x4 screen. That impacts both "view-ability" and battery life.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Brokenlegguy,

I should have been more specific about some of my assumptions that triggered my comments.

First, I assumed that the entertainment device would be on the back of the front seat, not in the child's lap. I certainly agree that older kids, say age 4 and older, can deal with holding a tablet while strapped in, but at age 2, I have my doubts. (YMMV).

It was that assumption that led me to point out the screen size issue with a screen placed about 3 feet away from a viewer with developing vision. In that case, a larger screen, I would think, is a better alternative. I only noted comparison between a 9" and 7" screen because I've found that many folks don't realize just how much larger a screen with a 2" greater diagonal measurement is.

Second, I'm a moderator on both a large iPad site and a Kindle Fire site and though each can usually take a beating there are numerous examples of screen damage (even with the Gorilla Glass each uses) from drops of a few feet onto carpeted surfaces. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable putting an iPad in the hands of a two year old in the back seat of a moving vehicle. Better to secure it to the back of the front seat. And since the kid cannot retrieve the tablet if dropped (even if it's not damaged), this avoids the squalling child in the back seat problem. :)

All of this, of course, depends on both the age of a child and the particular child in question. So again, YMMV.

As for Android versus iOS restrictions on children's access to settings, icons, etc. You may be surprised to learn that iPads are woefully deficient in this area. In the Android world there are several excellent apps, (e.g. Kid's Place with Child Lock) that enable a parent to set up a "home page" for a child with their own apps, games, etc. without enabling the child access to other features of the device. No such apps exist for the iPad. Go Figger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.