Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
704 Posts
Don't know too much about portable dvd players but here is my solution to the same issue. I've got 2 Nexus 7 tablets, that way the kids can watch a movie or play a game...(Anything for a few minutes of peace, am I right). Unless you're invested in the Android market or like messing around with roms, like I am and do, just go with the iPad. Same functionality as a DVD player and then some. Don't forget a car charger if you go that route and possibly one of those cloth sling things that can hang the tablet off the back of the seat.
I came to the same conclusion. A cheap Android tablet (or an ipad) is cheaper and much more versatile. Plus the kids can play games if they want. And if I feel so inclined, I enable wifi sharing on my phone (I've got an unlimited data plan) and the kids can surf the net.

Best,

· Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
704 Posts
Thanks for all the options, we already own an IPAD however I have tried numerous different software to get movies on to it and just haven’t had any luck. Also we only have the 32 so too many movies would take the memory space up quick. Our daughter is very good at working the IPAD and our case makes it two year old friendly, she has thrown it before) However with the ipad and a dedicated dvd system she would be able to bounce back and fourth with her attention. Our usual trip back to Wisconsin every 4 to 6 months takes 14 to 15 hours so she needs multiple attention keeping toys. I like the ones you hang on the headrest but the wife is really pushing for the drop down player. Just not sure what to do yet.
There's a handy program called handbrake (HandBrake) that will let you easily convert movies to work with your ipad. At lower bitrates, that a small child won't even notice, you can probably fit quite a few movies on there. I use this all the time. It runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux and it's got a handy preset for encoding for the ipad.

Best,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.