Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mazda6 2013 Sorento EX Pearl White GDI Premium Package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just bought a 2013 Sorento EX with the premium package. But there were no options for a DVD player with this package. So I have been calling around and it seems like it would cost about 800 do get an aftermarket flip down installed. Has anyone done this? Otherwise does anyone use the removable kind of DVD players we go on many 1000 mile plus trips and our two year old needs entertainment. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you have pics that would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Kia Sorento, 10 Hyundai Elantra, 08 Hyundai Elantra, 97 Ford Raner
11 Posts
Don't know too much about portable dvd players but here is my solution to the same issue. I've got 2 Nexus 7 tablets, that way the kids can watch a movie or play a game...(Anything for a few minutes of peace, am I right). Unless you're invested in the Android market or like messing around with roms, like I am and do, just go with the iPad. Same functionality as a DVD player and then some. Don't forget a car charger if you go that route and possibly one of those cloth sling things that can hang the tablet off the back of the seat.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Don't know too much about portable dvd players but here is my solution to the same issue. I've got 2 Nexus 7 tablets, that way the kids can watch a movie or play a game...(Anything for a few minutes of peace, am I right). Unless you're invested in the Android market or like messing around with roms, like I am and do, just go with the iPad. Same functionality as a DVD player and then some. Don't forget a car charger if you go that route and possibly one of those cloth sling things that can hang the tablet off the back of the seat.
I came to the same conclusion. A cheap Android tablet (or an ipad) is cheaper and much more versatile. Plus the kids can play games if they want. And if I feel so inclined, I enable wifi sharing on my phone (I've got an unlimited data plan) and the kids can surf the net.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
We have the players that hang from the headrest. They work pretty well for us and were an inexpensive solution for our road trips with kids. Here is something similar to what we purchased. We got the Philips brand also, but it was on closeout for $90.

Amazon.com: Philips PD9016/37 9-inch Portable LCD Dual DVD player: Electronics

Nothing fancy but it gets the job done for those long, kid complaining trips.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just keep in mind battery life. So far the iPad has the best. Also, even though I'm a huge Android fan, the iPad is still the best tablet on the market. It's major downside is that it's pricey compared to one of the best Android tablets, the Nexus 7.

As Sauron said it's the most versatile option.... and I never agree with that guy, especially when considering his views on hostile takeovers. :)

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Though an iPad or another less expensive tablet may be a solution for older kids, the OP is looking for entertainment for a "two year old." That more or less limits the choices to portable DVD players such as those recommended by Kungfoo.

Another point to keep in mind is screen size. Since these devices are measured in terms of diagonal dimensions, a 9x6 screen is almost twice the size of a 7x4 screen. That impacts both "view-ability" and battery life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Though an iPad or another less expensive tablet may be a solution for older kids, the OP is looking for entertainment for a "two year old." That more or less limits the choices to portable DVD players such as those recommended by Kungfoo.

Another point to keep in mind is screen size. Since these devices are measured in terms of diagonal dimensions, a 9x6 screen is almost twice the size of a 7x4 screen. That impacts both "view-ability" and battery life.

I have a son that's two and he's been messing with my phone and, more recently, tablets for a while now. When strapped in they're not going to be able to break it...unless you decided to place a bunch of rocks on the floor or leave the back window all the way down for them to throw it out of. Can they drop it on the floor, yep, and they will. It's carpeted so it's not that big of a deal. and usually you have a diaper bag/travel bag/goodie bag (or garbage over time...lol, my cars are so messy) that you're towing along with the kid and where does the bag usually sit, on the floor near the kid. Now the only other thing I can think of from my own experiences with stuff getting broken is opening up the door when the tablet is wedged against it. As long as you keep that in mind, you're all good.

If it's hanging from a sling off the back of the front seat it also takes the "kid destruction" risk out of it. Keep in mind a movie will only keep a child's attention for so long. Usually they lose interest less than half way through...some times they regain interest but not always. There are plenty of games that are geared towards children of that age. One of the more popular ones that's available on both platforms, and my son loves, is called Monkey Preschool Lunchbox. That game will keep his attention way longer than any movie. It's the same for my 4 year old daughter. On top of keeping they're attention, they're learning basic skill which is far more important to me as a parent.

I'm not sure why dimensions of the screen are coming into play here. Obviously screen size impacts "view-ability" and battery life (even though the larger iPad has a better battery life) but we're talking about a little kid inside of a Sorento. It's not like they're going to be trying to watch it from 100 feet away. If they're interested in what's being displayed they'll watch it. They don't care about the quality of the viewing experience. Kids are faaaar less picky.

I suggested the smaller Android tablet for a couple of reasons it is a cheaper alternative to an iPad and it's easier for the child to handle in a car seat if they want to play a game on it. There are apps that allow you to lock it down so they cannot accidentally delete stuff off of it or move icons all over the place. Which is something little kids end up doing....a lot. I'm not sure if those types of apps are available for the iPad, I would like to think they are but I don't know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gondor will be mine! :)

I think you have too many home repairs at the moment to be concerned with Gondor... you know, with your house falling down and all your help being swallowed up from the earth quake. I bet there wasn't a building permit for that tower, and the evilness continues.

I'm just glad I don't have to stand behind you in line at Lowes...lol

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Brokenlegguy,

I should have been more specific about some of my assumptions that triggered my comments.

First, I assumed that the entertainment device would be on the back of the front seat, not in the child's lap. I certainly agree that older kids, say age 4 and older, can deal with holding a tablet while strapped in, but at age 2, I have my doubts. (YMMV).

It was that assumption that led me to point out the screen size issue with a screen placed about 3 feet away from a viewer with developing vision. In that case, a larger screen, I would think, is a better alternative. I only noted comparison between a 9" and 7" screen because I've found that many folks don't realize just how much larger a screen with a 2" greater diagonal measurement is.

Second, I'm a moderator on both a large iPad site and a Kindle Fire site and though each can usually take a beating there are numerous examples of screen damage (even with the Gorilla Glass each uses) from drops of a few feet onto carpeted surfaces. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable putting an iPad in the hands of a two year old in the back seat of a moving vehicle. Better to secure it to the back of the front seat. And since the kid cannot retrieve the tablet if dropped (even if it's not damaged), this avoids the squalling child in the back seat problem. :)

All of this, of course, depends on both the age of a child and the particular child in question. So again, YMMV.

As for Android versus iOS restrictions on children's access to settings, icons, etc. You may be surprised to learn that iPads are woefully deficient in this area. In the Android world there are several excellent apps, (e.g. Kid's Place with Child Lock) that enable a parent to set up a "home page" for a child with their own apps, games, etc. without enabling the child access to other features of the device. No such apps exist for the iPad. Go Figger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both valid points. You're right it is definitely a case by case bases.

I guess I am making some assumptions on the precautions that a parent should take when handing a child a $200-$500 worth of electronics. What's common sense to me may not be for others... I'm sure you've come across that with most of the breakage cases you've seen. My kids have been around smart phones and tablets the entire time so they know to be gentle... well... about as gentle as a 2 and 4 year old, in a good mood, can be.

I figured that iOS didn't have apps like that just based off the nature of the environment but I wasn't sure since I haven't had an iOS device since my 32GB 3GS. I didn't want to seem as though I'm jumping on the iOS vs Android crazy train.

What site are you a mod on for the Fire? I'm interested in how that's going dev wise. I'll have to hit a brother up too. :)

·
Registered
2006 Mazda6 2013 Sorento EX Pearl White GDI Premium Package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the options, we already own an IPAD however I have tried numerous different software to get movies on to it and just haven’t had any luck. Also we only have the 32 so too many movies would take the memory space up quick. Our daughter is very good at working the IPAD and our case makes it two year old friendly, she has thrown it before) However with the ipad and a dedicated dvd system she would be able to bounce back and fourth with her attention. Our usual trip back to Wisconsin every 4 to 6 months takes 14 to 15 hours so she needs multiple attention keeping toys. I like the ones you hang on the headrest but the wife is really pushing for the drop down player. Just not sure what to do yet.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Thanks for all the options, we already own an IPAD however I have tried numerous different software to get movies on to it and just haven’t had any luck. Also we only have the 32 so too many movies would take the memory space up quick. Our daughter is very good at working the IPAD and our case makes it two year old friendly, she has thrown it before) However with the ipad and a dedicated dvd system she would be able to bounce back and fourth with her attention. Our usual trip back to Wisconsin every 4 to 6 months takes 14 to 15 hours so she needs multiple attention keeping toys. I like the ones you hang on the headrest but the wife is really pushing for the drop down player. Just not sure what to do yet.
There's a handy program called handbrake (HandBrake) that will let you easily convert movies to work with your ipad. At lower bitrates, that a small child won't even notice, you can probably fit quite a few movies on there. I use this all the time. It runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux and it's got a handy preset for encoding for the ipad.

Best,

·
Registered
Will Be Buying a Sorento, 2011 Honda Ridgeline RT, 2003 Mazda Tribute
8 Posts
Although I don't own a Sorento yet, my wife wants one and we will end up with one in the next year.

I was thinking of buying DVD players installed in generic head rests and using those for the 2nd row. There could be issues with color matching and shape/design of the headrests but I think I can live with them. I am hoping I can get power from the center console. I haven't investigated this yet though.

There may have been a thread about this on this site.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX V6
52 Posts
newlungs; Remember that the front seat headrests are "Active" headrests. There is a cable connecting the headrest to the lower seatback. Some people have removed the headrest and cut the cable, but I am sure the warranty is no longer valid.

To the original post: I had a 10" flip down unit installed by the dealer recommended shop in town. Cost me $650.00 installed and came with 2 sets of wireless headphones. So far it works great and does not skip at all.

·
Registered
Will Be Buying a Sorento, 2011 Honda Ridgeline RT, 2003 Mazda Tribute
8 Posts
bgandy,
Thanks for the info.

I knew it had "active" headrests but didn't know it had a cable connecting the headrest to the lower seatback. My Honda Ridgeline has "active" headrests but they can be easily removed (with no cables) and replaced with the aftermarket Headrests with DVD players. It probably defeats some of the safety feature of the headrest because the DVD ones are shaped a little different and don't have that forward lean.

Time to let my wife and daughter know I won't do the aftermarket dvd players. I don't want to make any permanent changes.

We have a ipad and lots of movies burned to store on it. That along with a portable DVD player with screen will have to do.

Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts