Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 SX 2013
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to pair my phone to the car through bluetooth and use the phone GPS and listen to the radio at the same time with both GPS voice navigation and radio coming out from the car speakers without needing to swith to Media.

After much searching, I found that the term is Dual Zone Function but can't find more information on it for the Rio.

The test drive car that I tested was able to do this but after buying the car, I can't seem to enable it. Help?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
As far as I know you can't do it with the UVO Rio. Don't know how your test drive Rio did it

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 SX 2013
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If so, then how come when a phone call comes in, the radio gets cut off? :unsure:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
In my vehicle if I am connected on bluetooth ...
- if my music is on , when a phone call comes in the radio is muted
- I have an app that turns the music off when a text message comes in
- But when my gps is on, it says directions in the background but doesn't turn off the music

That text message app i have is made for bluetooth so it turns off the radio. As for the GPS i bet its just because GPS apps aren't made for bluetooth yet. I use Sygic and I know that app doesn't have any bluetooth settings so Im assuming they do haven't updates to get their bluetooth operation 100% yet

All In all i think it is based on the App and not a problem with the vehicle.

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 SX 2013
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't think it's UVO. Here's a shot from my car:
http://imageplay.net/img/tya22308770/DSC_0009.png

If I select Media, it can play music (from my phone) and GPS instructions (from my phone) at the same time.

But I want to listen to the radio and have the GPS instructions cut in when it speaks up. The sales agent said this 'cutting in' was a feature but has no idea why it doesn't work in my car. :unsure:

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
I too discovered this issue as I use an android phone for GPS. Thankfully I'm not a fan of the radio and listen to music off of my phone. Now this applies to the Microsoft UVO system in the Rio and most head units in North America that I'm aware of. On your phone you can think of the Bluetooth connection for the phone/text as a separate connection if from Bluetooth audio. The head unit, in this case UVO, handles these connections separately as well as does your phone.

The UVO system is always monitoring the phone call Bluetooth connection for an incoming call and it has priority. When you are using any functions of the UVO system, Radio, Sirius, even Media with a media player/thumb drive/Bluetooth audio it will switch back to this priority connection for the phone when it detects an incoming call.

However when you are using GPS on your phone, the phone and UVO system are using the Bluetooth audio connection which is mapped to Media on the UVO. Unlike the phone call Bluetooth connection, this connection is not given priority or actively being monitored by the UVO head unit. When you are not actively using the Media function of the head unit, the audio Bluetooth connection is dead essentially. Your phone will play all non-call related audio locally out of its own speakers unless this connection is active.

For example if you select Radio on the UVO system, your GPS notifications should be coming from the phone itself. When you select Media the use the audio Bluetooth connection, then your GPS notifications come from the car’s audio system. Some other head units will keep this connection alive but will only play audio from the feature you’re using like Radio. In this case you will hear the radio and nothing from your phone for music or GPS notifications.

Unfortunately there is no way with the UVO system to be using the Radio function and still monitor Bluetooth audio for GPS notifications. To the head unit, the GPS notifications are no different that music or game audio from your phone and there is no priority given.

The only way to accomplish what you are looking for with current UVO systems is to listen to music and GPS from your phone over the Media connection. The phone itself will mute the music and present the GPS notifications as it knows to do this. I hope this helps. It would be cool if they created a Bluetooth stack for GPS notifications and manufactures of head units with treat that connection like phone calls and give priority to that audio.

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 SX 2013
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Some of these parts don't seem to apply for my case:

When you are not actively using the Media function of the head unit, the audio Bluetooth connection is dead essentially. Your phone will play all non-call related audio locally out of its own speakers unless this connection is active.

For example if you select Radio on the UVO system, your GPS notifications should be coming from the phone itself. When you select Media the use the audio Bluetooth connection, then your GPS notifications come from the car’s audio system.
Once my phone pairs with the car, there will be no sound at all from the phone. Everything comes out through the car speakers but only if the car media button is selected (except phone calls, but they also come out through the car speakers.)

Some other head units will keep this connection alive but will only play audio from the feature you’re using like Radio. In this case you will hear the radio and nothing from your phone for music or GPS notifications.
I guess this is my case.

Unfortunately there is no way with the UVO system to be using the Radio function and still monitor Bluetooth audio for GPS notifications. To the head unit, the GPS notifications are no different that music or game audio from your phone and there is no priority given.
There must be a way because the test car could do it and I was blown away when I heard it happen.

The only way to accomplish what you are looking for with current UVO systems is to listen to music and GPS from your phone over the Media connection. The phone itself will mute the music and present the GPS notifications as it knows to do this. I hope this helps. It would be cool if they created a Bluetooth stack for GPS notifications and manufactures of head units with treat that connection like phone calls and give priority to that audio.
My phone doesn't know how to mute the music (Sygic). It plays the GPS notification along with the music. So the Bluetooth stack is the answer? Is this a software or hardware implementation and can the end-user do this?

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
that radio is exactly the same as mine, except for a few icon differences.

I had a test run today and GPS is spoken whilst music is playing, it turns the music down momentarily on the phone, but calls pause the music, which makes sense I suppose. but no I could not get the radio and bluetooth GPS to work simultaneously..

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 SX 2013
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If a call comes in through the car speakers from the bluetooth paired phone and mutes the radio, it follows that it IS possible. What is the call doing that the phone GPS isn't?

I want to try installing the latest version (which is?) from www.kiatechinfo.com. This is my radio version. I can't tell what version it is either. Anyone knows?

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 SX 2013
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's something from David Woods maker of the android app SoundAbout https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix&hl=en:

The only way to cut into the radio is to use the Bluetooth phone channel. I am working on using the Bluetooth phone channel in #3 below, but for now here are the choices:

1) Constant connection to car audio (no car radio will play): In SoundAbout, you set the "Media audio" setting to "Bluetooth (mono)". This will send all phone audio, from the phone to the car radio by making the phone (and car) think there is a phone call. The audio is only voice quality. Notifications most likely won't be sent based on the phone's audio policy.

2) Dynamic connection to car audio (car radio will play until phone audio sent): In SoundAbout, you set the "Media audio" setting to "Bluetooth (mono)(dynamic)". This will also send all phone audio, from the phone to the car radio by making the phone (and car) think there is a phone call. The difference is that this setting has the phone signal disconnected until it detects audio. Once it detects audio, it connects to the car "like a phone call". The audio is only voice quality. Notifications most likely won't be sent based on the phone's audio policy. If this setting is used for Navigation, you could lose a second of directions due to the time it takes to connect; which is why I am developing #3.

3) Future setting might be called TextToSpeech Audio (like Media Audio): You can map any TTS audio to various audio outputs, including Bluetooth (mono). To do this, I have to create a TextToSpeech wrapper called SoundAbout TTS. Within the setting of SoundAbout TTS, you can select any "real" TTS engine on the phone. This will allow TextToSpeech requests to be capture by my app. I can then switch the audio routing while holding the TTS. Once the audio is re-routing, I can let the TTS get translated into speech. This way you don't miss anything. I have this working, but Google Maps/Nav is sending me ALL the directions at once instead of just the current instruction.

4) I will probably include #3 in SoundAbout Pro, but will also sell it as a separate app for those who don't need the other SoundAbout features.
This is for the Pro version and he can send you a trial version.

Results of my test:
Bluetooth (mono)(dynamic)
It cut in the radio all right but it didn't cut out. I had to manually disconnect the 'call' by pressing the 'end call' button on the steering wheel. Once disconnected, it won't cut back into the radio again unless I relaunch SoundAbout. And, like was said I miss a second of audio and the quality is low.

So, maybe someone has some ideas and can add to the solution?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts